Cam Question for a 360

-

ever_never

Reaction score
Hi Guy's,

Is it possible to use a RV cam without changing the pushrods or rockers on a 360 1979 block with stock heads? What I mean is if I wanted to intall a RV cam or something hotter with a Edelbrock Performer RPM Air Gap with the stock lifters and rod's can I use the stock components? At what point do you have to change rod lengths? Or go to Adjustable rockers? :angel9:

You should probably remove the valve rotators on the exh valves. That will require 8 std retainers, and I think new springs.

I noticed the words "Stock lifters" above.
When you change the cam, you also change the lifters.
So long as the lift isn't to much, you'll be fine. What cam are you thinking of?

RubleFish, Since the block is a re-build long Block. I thought maybe I would be ok using the lifters that are currently in the engine and just change the cam. Am I taking a big risk in doing this? I can get a cam combo with lifters. Is it a good idea to use a RV cam and change the valve spring on a small CAM? Sorry for all the questions. I not sure on what cam lift I should get. I dont want something to crazy. Witch CAMS should I go with Mopar purple cam or Crane Cams?

Before you get any viable suggestions on a cam, you need to tell us your exact combo. Engine displacement, compression ratio, intake and manifold combo, tranny, converter stall speed, rear end gear ratio, tire size, all play a part in building a winning combination of parts that run well together as a unit. The other major consideration is your intended use for the car. Will it be primarily street driven, strip only, street/strip? With the answers to these questions you will probably get several very informed answers to your cam query. :)

The reason you can't reuse lifters with a different cam is because the cam and lifters wear together.

ever_never said:
RubleFish, Since the block is a re-build long Block. I thought maybe I would be ok using the lifters that are currently in the engine and just change the cam. Am I taking a big risk in doing this? I can get a cam combo with lifters. Is it a good idea to use a RV cam and change the valve spring on a small CAM? Sorry for all the questions. I not sure on what cam lift I should get. I dont want something to crazy. Witch CAMS should I go with Mopar purple cam or Crane Cams?
There right. I have used, used lifters before on a new cam. Both had virtually no run time. However, it is a risk that they will more likely wreck each other. Since you can get a Crane cam and lifter set at a preety cheap price, I'd do that. ($169.00) Even more so on a new engine.
I did some wacky stuff on used old beat up engines that were actually better of shot dead, but, that was then, this is now and the price is cheap.
$169.00 for a cam and lifter set, $100 more for springs new from Crane.
I think the risk is not worth it. You can allways resell the current cam and lifter as a set.

On which company to go with, I like Crane cams alot in the area your looking at. (RV like) For use with stock heads, I suggest a split duration cam.

Like Old Vart said, lets hear the about the car/truck and what engine and acc.'s it has now. What it's used for, or at least intended on.

1967 Plymouth Barracuda F/B Currently 318 engine, cam im not sure but the car does move; mopar conversion to electronic ignition, Edelbrock intake manifold LD4B, Holley Carb 600 cfm, Heddman comp headers, Flowmaster dual chamber exhaust with turn downs, 904 trans with transgo performance shift kit, ford nine inch rear end. The gearing is stock. Highway gearing. I think. I would like to keep the gearing the way it is. Transmission is solid. So I need a set up that would work with what I have already. Now I think that I would have to change the Intake Manifold. That LD4B is only for the 318 block/heads. And since I am upgrading to a 360 I would like to get the Air gap edelbrock intake. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oldvart/Rumblefish things I have purchased already.
Milodon stock oil pan, widage tray w/intall kit, b&m flex plate externally balanced, high volume oil pump, arp bolts.

I dropped MP's 340 reissue cam into my 360, sorry haven't put it in the car yet though. Ya figure the 340's were strong, torquey motors; the basic RPM is idle to 5800. I retro fitted magnum heads to my LA block (internal balanced), used a Prof Products intake, and I want to use a Holley Street Avenger carb. THat's what I used, good luck!

If you're going to upgrade to a 360, don't buy a cam based on your 318. I run an old Mopar Purple Shart .484 cam in my 360 and it has treated me well over the past 18 years, but there are much more modern grinds availabe now. A couple that come to mind are the Comp Cams 274 or 278 grinds. I'm not that familiar with the Crane cams, but Rumble is, so I'll let him give a recommendation on those.
You are right about that manifold in that it won't work very well with 360 heads since the ports are made for the 318. I run the LD340 on my 360 and it's a perfect manifold for my combination. The Air Gap is a great choice for a 360.
I'm like Rumble when it comes to lifters, I've used old ones but I don't recommend it since the cam and lifters should break in together. Also, get the proper valve springs to match the lift of whatever cam you finally choose. With highway type gears and a stock converter, don't get too carried away with the big numbers in your cam selection or your car will be a dog off the line.
Your stock valve train should be O.K. for your combination on the street. You don't need adjustable rockers, and unless you have the heads milled excessively, you won't have to worry about pushrod length, just use the stock ones. Your rockers will probably be the age of your motor, so it's up to you if you want to replace them. I'm still using the original 1978 rockers on my 360 and haven't had any pushrods go through them as yet.
The parts you've bought are all correct for what you want to do. Keep your 904 tranny and just bolt your 360 up to it and go. Good luck.

The only thing I wished you had typed in was ring gear ratio.
The LD4B is a good intake if the 360 stays mello. The only thing to improve that intake for what you have is to port match it. And it's not that big of a deal. It would help, but not like adding a magic upgrade.

I've used this cam (Specs below) in 318's and 360's with nice results. The cam doesn't require any torque converter changes, though a tad more stall would help in a off the line effort. It can work OK with 2.76 gears. Unless I was going for a good street effort, 3.55's is as high as I would go.
The centerline is 112.
A comp Cam of similar specs would also do well. There on a 110 centerline.

100_0771.JPG

-
Back