Cam walk...

-

bschubarg

Reaction score
what does it sound like and how do you know it’s walking and more importantly how to fix it

Roller cam? What's the blocks history? What style timing set (chain, belt, gear)? Cam driven distributor or crank trigger?

On what? What kinda cam? What kinda cam hardware? Conventional timing chain, belt or what?

How in hell are we supposed to know what YOU have unless you tell us? The cats knocked my crystal ball off the table and broke it.

Throw us some bones here if you want some help. Otherwise, you might as well have asked, "what's wrong with my car......it's blue?"

Put a custom roller cam in a roller LA with ur typical timing chain. Push rods are the correct length.... I would imagine a cam walk sounds the same whether it’s belt, chain or otherwise.... almost sounds like a rod knock but goes away with RPM

If it's walking you'll be tearing up the distributor gear, and either scaring your timing cover or the thrust face of the block. You probably won't hear it regardless. Did you have the lifter bores bushed?

If it's walking you'll be tearing up the distributor gear, and either scaring your timing cover or the thrust face of the block. You probably won't hear it regardless. Did you have the lifter bores bushed?
Bores not brush ed but this is the reply I was looking for... now I know at least where to start.... thanks friend....

On what? What kinda cam? What kinda cam hardware? Conventional timing chain, belt or what?

How in hell are we supposed to know what YOU have unless you tell us? The cats knocked my crystal ball off the table and broke it.

Throw us some bones here if you want some help. Otherwise, you might as well have asked, "what's wrong with my car......it's blue?"

Bad kitties!!!

What the ....

5884F648-1914-49B3-A59E-6AD829469F02.jpeg

FCD63408-524B-4722-916B-0641DD552815.jpeg

Put a custom roller cam in a roller LA with ur typical timing chain. Push rods are the correct length.... I would imagine a cam walk sounds the same whether it’s belt, chain or otherwise.... almost sounds like a rod knock but goes away with RPM

How do you have cam walk with a small block Chrysler? It has a cam plate.

On a flat tappet cam the lobes have a taper that pushes the cam twords the back of the block and spins the lifters. Roller cams are ground flat. If the cam is not square in the block or the lifter bores are not perpendicular to the cam it'll walk. They all move around a little. A thrust button usually is enough to control it. You probably wouldn't even notice it on a new install. As the lobes wear unevenly the problem becomes worse. I suppose if run long enough it could be audible bouncing off the cam cover or block.

How do you have cam walk with a small block Chrysler? It has a cam plate.
That’s what I was thinking. The cam should not be walking anywhere and if it is, you have loose bolts on the cam retainer plate.
No thrust button required.

Thought you were talking about jumping a tooth.

Last edited:
He said the knock went away with rpm.
Things like...
Piston rock and or skirt scuffed.
Sometimes the beginnings of a rod going...other times low oil pressure at idle in general leading to it.

No walk with a plate holding it

He said the knock went away with rpm.
Things like...
Piston rock and or skirt scuffed.
Sometimes the beginnings of a rod going...other times low oil pressure at idle in general leading to it.

No walk with a plate holding it

I just now figured out what your avatar is. You suck.

By the pics of the lifters its a small block. These motors have a retaining plate for the cam.

If its walking and you hear it you have major problems. The plate is pinched by the cam and the top gear. If its moving you have a worn Cam thrust surface, a worn trust/retaining plate , a worn top gear, a lose cam bolt or the retaining bolts are coming out.

. Your oil also doesn't look well that is setting in the valley. Time for surgery. Let us know what someone did wrong.

By the looks of the oil in the valley you may have a bad piston pin. The oil looks milky like aluminum but very small particles not from Chafing. Pins only knock at idle. As soon as you load the motor you won't here it. Pins will fail from incorrect timing or low octane fuel. Heat or firing before TDC or the combo is the cause.

Last edited:
I don't think you can have cam walk with the oil pump making pressure, It's pulling the cam in one direction and really cant go the other way unless there is no oil pressure to stop pulling the cam.

a chebby will live with 10psi oil pressure,
Mopar's will not.

I think I found the culprit... let’s see who can spot the mistake

5CC0E429-C0EB-495D-84F2-2E54CA5CEBB9.jpeg

650F0DDC-1575-4DCF-A1C9-3D1AE31C3359.jpeg

-
Back