cams?? I am confused

-

gunmetal72

Life is a dark ride
Reaction score
Use to be you only had 3 options for a cam with purple being the wildest (back in the day) Can someone tell me what colors were on the 3 cams and what is the specs. I am replacing the cam in my 340 but I am not sure what to get. I do not want something really lumpy, I would like 1 step up from the stock cam, not sure what that is. Can someone give me some info? I would really appreaciate it............Thanks

All of MoPars cams were called Purple cams because they came with purplr paint on them.
A cam that will not have a lumpy idle should have a 112 or 114 centerline. Most poerformance cams are on a 110 or a 108. Crane cams are good for this 112 centerline.

As far as 1 step of from stock, you'll find there really is no exact cam or measurement for that. Tell us about your car. What performance parts you have added to it and what tranny and rear gear ratio you have.

Rob, that's the upgraded 340 cam on a 110 centerline. It'll chop at idle.

Contact Hughes Cams, tell them what you have and what your goal is and they will recommend the cam for you.

Its a stock 72 340. The cam that is in it now has a yellow stripe and green strrip if that means anything

Just remember what the outcome is to be as either a street car or race car.Cam selection has to be synced with tranny stall speed,rear gear ratio intake heads etc.If its a stock engine and stall speed you dont want too much cam.Check out the compcam specs.Just my 2 cents worth.

-
Back