car painting tool problem

-

riderchris

Reaction score
hello there,
I'm restoring the car and paint the body. I have a problem with the broken air compressor so maybe forum users can help me. It happend on Tuseday when i heard that the motors has burnt. I reassambled it, so it was really burnt. I have a 3ph motor that is used on the farm to power the fans. I'm curious now, is it possible to install it through the 1ph in the garage?

There are phase converters but I don't know how much efficiency they rob or if it will work in your application. I got tired of burning up motors when I painted cars so I put one of those $99 6.5 gas engines on the big V-twin compressor Harbor freight sells and stuck that on top of an old 500 gallon propane tank. There are some electrician types on here that should chime in.... Del, 67Dart273 might be a good place to start.

No you can not use the 3 ph motor. You may have to buy a new motor.If you have to buy a new compressor make sure you get a 2 stage one.Better for air tools,sand blasters.

As mentioned, you can buy or make phase converters. However, it would NEVER be worth the cost. "The rule" in using a 3 phase motor off single phase is when you have a special motor such as special flange bolted to a gearbox, for which you cannot easily get a single phase replacement.

Make sure you get a GOOD motor one that is for certain rated for replacement. Compressor starting and running conditions are severe. There is a lot of "BS" in modern ratings. In other words some HP ratings are simply imagined by the chineseoated builder.

Plan D = Herb's planting technique:

[ame]https://youtu.be/Qvj4SS_MwMk[/ame]

[ame]https://youtu.be/zk23JhXIG98[/ame]

As mentioned, you can buy or make phase converters. However, it would NEVER be worth the cost. "The rule" in using a 3 phase motor off single phase is when you have a special motor such as special flange bolted to a gearbox, for which you cannot easily get a single phase replacement.

Make sure you get a GOOD motor one that is for certain rated for replacement. Compressor starting and running conditions are severe. There is a lot of "BS" in modern ratings. In other words some HP ratings are simply imagined by the chineseoated builder.
We got used Amusement rides from overseas. Voltage was wrong as well as Hz being wrong. It was a mess. I did not buy these rides but I had to "make it work" fail. Phase converters are expensive to run. Look out for "Fake 5" HP motors. Usually found on those inexpensive 5HP compressors. Not real 5 HP motors. you need Comressor duty motor.

If I find not very expensive VFD on the Craigslist, I will try to mount it for the motor (maybe it will help) Do you know what special VFD I need for the motor? Here https://www.mrosupply.com/motors/ac-motors/general-purpose-motors/26523_vm3546_baldor/

You wont be able to use a vfd it only allows you to change the speed of the motor.You still have to supply 3ph to the vfd.Just buy the correct motor or another compressor before you spend a bunch of money for nothing and have to buy one anyway.

You need 1 phase unless you have 3 in the shop. Tractor supply has some good motors for sale but watch the RPM's. Most compressors use 1750 rpms. Price a compressor out you might be surprised at the prices. I actually have a HF one I am really happy with and it is two stage. I think they run under 400. But I only use it a few hours each week, did paint my car with it and use it for a blast cabinet also.

Check out SURPLUS CENTER, I have gotten great deals from them.

I am in the business of selling motors and VFDs. They do make a vfd that is 1ph in , 3ph out. It is made for this type application. The only thing is, it takes a 10hp vfd to drive a 5 hp 3 ph motor on 1ph. They do work really well.
Easy

I am in the business of selling motors and VFDs. They do make a vfd that is 1ph in , 3ph out. It is made for this type application. The only thing is, it takes a 10hp vfd to drive a 5 hp 3 ph motor on 1ph. They do work really well.
Easy
Can you post a link? Thanks

The cost of the drive is probably more than a motor.So why would you even consider this.I deal with industrial 3ph and vfds all the time

-
Back