Carb Recommendation

-

Cal Tonsley

Reaction score
Currently building a 410 small block, forged crank, SRP inverted dome pistons, 10.5:1, ported Edelbrock heads 270 cfm int 212 cfm exh @ 28”, Hyd Roller 238/246 @ .050” .548/.558” on 108, Air Gap RPM manifold, MSD 6AL-2 & Mech Billet Dist, 727 trans w 2900 rpm converter and 8 3/4 3.55:1 rear end with 28” tyres. Car (1969 Dodge Dart / Chrysler Australia Valiant 770 Hardtop) will primarily be used on street with some highway cruising and the very occasional run on the strip. Was looking to run EFI but now need to save money so considering what carb to run? Currently considering Holley Street HP 4150 mech sec 750 cfm 0-82751SA or Edelbrock AVS 800 cfm. Not looking to overcarb or turn motor past about 5750 rpm and while peak HP is desirable it isn’t necessarily quite as important as drivability/low & mid range response/ease of setup/idle/reliability etc.
Appreciate your comments & input, thanks in advance.

CEA60AFD-F104-4BE9-A02E-CBF6D4EAA20D.jpeg

I have a .30 over 1969 383 hp with slightly larger than stock cam. I run a edelbrock 600 cfm. gets 15 mpg highway and has plenty of power without burning your eyes from gas fumes.. I had a 750 cfm on it at first ,but only got 9 mpg .. So I have sacrificed power for mileage.. but I'm happy ..good day..

Ether would be fine. Which carb style do you like better? That answer is more than likely the best answer.

Go with the Holley. This is pretty much a performance engine from what i can tell where MPG isn't going to be in the equation. lol

Carter/brocks will hold a tune forever unlike a Holley but it takes forever to find it as they are not as modular as the Holleys. 2 best running carbs I ever had were a Carter and an ugly spreadbore Holley.

Currently building a 410 small block, forged crank, SRP inverted dome pistons, 10.5:1, ported Edelbrock heads 270 cfm int 212 cfm exh @ 28”, Hyd Roller 238/246 @ .050” .548/.558” on 108, Air Gap RPM manifold, MSD 6AL-2 & Mech Billet Dist, 727 trans w 2900 rpm converter and 8 3/4 3.55:1 rear end with 28” tyres. Car (1969 Dodge Dart / Chrysler Australia Valiant 770 Hardtop) will primarily be used on street with some highway cruising and the very occasional run on the strip. Was looking to run EFI but now need to save money so considering what carb to run? Currently considering Holley Street HP 4150 mech sec 750 cfm 0-82751SA or Edelbrock AVS 800 cfm. Not looking to overcarb or turn motor past about 5750 rpm and while peak HP is desirable it isn’t necessarily quite as important as drivability/low & mid range response/ease of setup/idle/reliability etc.
Appreciate your comments & input, thanks in advance.

View attachment 1715164756
I had a 406 sbc w/ a hotter cam than urs, everything else about the same. I had best E.T. with a 800 double pumper, and best mileage out of a 870 vacumm secondary. I would think a 750 would be about right. I like quickfuel`s too , but never owned one.

That thing will swallow a Holley 950 HP. Whole.
Well my 426 big block making 525 hp running to 6000 rpm used 638 CFM on the dyno. So my AED 750 which flows 830 is more than enough carb plus the throttle response is insane. So i would think a 750 would be more than enough for his 410.

Last edited:
Holleys are EASY to tune(all depends on WHOS tuning it) and will outperform a carter/edelbrock anytime:D:D

BS, The Carter/Edelbrock is no harder or easier to tune than a Holley you just have to know what your doing with them. With that said at least a Carter/Edelbrock design isn't leaking fuel all over your engine while you make any changes. And I have NEVER had a blown power valve with their design! LOL

Last edited:
Well my 426 big block making 525 hp running to 6000 rpm used 638 CFM on the dyno. So my AED 750 which flows 830 is more than enough carb plus the throttle response is insane. So i would think a 750 would be more than enough for his 410.

Then by all means, run what the dyno says.

BS, The Carter/Edelbrock is no harder or easier to tune than a Holley you just have to know what your doing with them. With that said at least a Carter/Edelbrock design isn't leaking fuel all over your engine while you make any changes. And I have NEVER had a blown power valve with their design! LOL

Didn't say the holley was easier to tune and if you KNOW what your doing no need to get fuel all over your engine..and I've NEVER had a blown power valve either..performance wise the carter/edelbrock won't touch a Holley design carb..

I don't believe that one at all. All it takes is one backfire.

Believe it. I have been bulding Holleys since 1982 and have never blown a power valve either! Get your timing and pump shot correct and there is no reason for a backfire. in 1992 Holley added power valve protection. That's 26 years ago!

The Truth About Power Valves Used with Holley Carburetors - Engine Builder Magazine

$16 in case you worry about such things and run a carb older than 1992.

Holley 125-500 Power Valve Check Ball Kit

I think you did. But still both will run great with the CORRECT tuning.

Yes..said holleys were easy to tune..didn't say they were EASIER..Holley will STILL outperform a carter/edelbrock ANY day!!!

in 1992 Holley added power valve protection. That's 26 years ago!
If they never blew out then why did they have to add this protection? By the way I have been working on carbs way before 1982 and I still have many Holley carbs on cars. But the OP was asking for the BEST
drivability/low & mid range response
which I still think for the street it would NOT be a Holley.

If they never blew out then why did they have to add this protection? By the way I have been working on carbs way before 1982 and I still have many Holley carbs on cars. But the OP was asking for the BEST
which I still think for the street it would NOT be a Holley.

It's not that they don't blow. It's guys who can't get their timing correct or their tune up.

I **** you not...I just watched a guy for a whole hour try and put a distributor in. It was the biggest cluster flop I've seen since basic in 1982. He couldn't find TDC on number 1. Didn't know to line up the oil pump drive.

After an hour I did it for him. Took all of 5 minutes to do it all.

People like that kill power valves on a regular basis.

-
Back