Carb

-
I was thinking the 750 Edelbrock. It has a small Holley 4b on it now. It just looks tiny on top of all that mass. Thanks. Also, my experience with Holleys is they are hard to keep tuned. You have that problem?

I have a Holley 780 on mine, it's the one that came with the motor back in 1967. It's been modified a bit, but it runs great.

I was thinking the 750 Edelbrock. It has a small Holley 4b on it now. It just looks tiny on top of all that mass. Thanks. Also, my experience with Holleys is they are hard to keep tuned. You have that problem?

The eddy's look wider as I recall. I want a carb that performs, looks come 2nd.

And no, I'm never had a Holley that was hard to keep tuned. TO be honest I've never had any real trouble with any of them but as far as ease and ability to tune and performing the best, Holley hands down.

Holley 850DP on a stock big block? Seems like overkill to me.

The eddy's look wider as I recall. I want a carb that performs, looks come 2nd.

And no, I'm never had a Holley that was hard to keep tuned. TO be honest I've never had any real trouble with any of them but as far as ease and ability to tune and performing the best, Holley hands down.

I just remember the one I had on my '68 Coronet 440 when I was in high school. Seemed I was always turning screws on it. Maybe it was just that I didn't know what I was doing? Thanks for the reply.

What carb do you guys think is best for a stock big block 440?

How stock is stock? A stone stock 440 doesn't need much carb at all. Cast iron intake and cast iron exhaust manifolds with a stock camshaft type of motor? 600 cfm will be plenty. You'll never even use the full 600 cfm on a stocker unless it is an HP motor.

How stock is stock? A stone stock 440 doesn't need much carb at all. Cast iron intake and cast iron exhaust manifolds with a stock camshaft type of motor? 600 cfm will be plenty. You'll never even use the full 600 cfm on a stocker unless it is an HP motor.

I didn't build the motor but I do know some work has been done to it. It has an upgraded camshaft. I plan on putting an Edelbrock manifold and a different carb on her. That will be all for a while.

I didn't build the motor but I do know some work has been done to it. It has an upgraded camshaft. I plan on putting an Edelbrock manifold and a different carb on her. That will be all for a while.

The original Holley 3310 is a decent carb for a hot rod project. It is rated at 780 cfm but it has vacuum secondaries so it only opens up what you need. The factory used those carbs on muscle car engines since they were fairly bulletproof so I'd probably lean that way if you have an engine that you're slowly modifying for more power. The carb will "grow" with the engine.

The original Holley 3310 is a decent carb for a hot rod project. It is rated at 780 cfm but it has vacuum secondaries so it only opens up what you need. The factory used those carbs on muscle car engines since they were fairly bulletproof so I'd probably lean that way if you have an engine that you're slowly modifying for more power. The carb will "grow" with the engine.

very good carb

I have one of these and it works great! - not an original mopar Holley carb, but a aftermarket 3310 - look into a 4160 750 as well.. very similar

Again works great on my 383 - Holley carb's need very little tuning once set, if something is a miss after setting it up and tuning or can't get it to stay in a good tune - something is probably wrong with the engine.. (vacuum leaks, ect..)

I had a 750 4160 on a 350hp Ford 302, once I dialed the carb in, I left it, never had to touch it and ran great til I took it off (was a borrowed carb)!

I'll clean the carb I took off the motor and see what it is. Thanks, guys. Appreciate the info.

Mopars like big carbs. 440 six packs are 1,350cfm. Holley 850dp works great on 440's.

This is true except there are two minor flaws with going with the bigger carb(s) :coffee2: you suggest. The 850 works excellent when the engine is a bit removed from stock.

The 6 packs 1350 cfm rating is done at a different pressure rating than a 4 bbl. carb he's done at so when you re calculate the rating, it falls to (IIRC) 950. Considering the still very high cfm rating, it still doesn't fall to a OK'ing for a 850.

This is also why a 6 pack kicks so much *** on a modified engine.

Considering the description, the 3310 would be great!

If it's a street cruiser with highway gears, put a holley 750 vacuum secondary on it and have fun.

Just curious if anyone has tried the Street Demon carb? That's the one with the large secondary similar to the old Holley 3 bbl. They call it a "goggle valve".
It looks like it could be a good fit for stock engine.

Ted

the formula for a stock lo-po engine with CI manifolds,spits out around 550cfm

(440 x 5000 x .85VE)/3456 = 541minimum size. The VE is of course a guess.
I humbly suggest that you put some headers on it first.And some big fat duals. Otherwise, I can almost guarantee disappointment. Especially if this engine is in a tank with hiway gears.

I've been using Holley carbs for decades and love them. Very easy to tune, parts are readily available and easy to get. I saw one comment about Holley's not staying in tune, I've never had that problem. 750 with vacuum secondaries work very good on mild big blocks.

-
Back