casting# block 2202857-7 & intake 4104595 yr??

-
Reaction score
Hello, what year was this block produced?
2202857-7

And, this intake?

I'm trying to decipher my Frankenstein of a dart.
Thanks a bunch.

OK,I guess slantsixdan was snoozing and let this one slip past him,lol!!

Look on the block at the passenger side front,this era is the easiest to
ID. The casting would be in the early series.The first series began w/ "212",the "220"
was used by '62, and the"246" series by '64.
The early stamped codes started w/the "series"(year),then the 1st two of the eng.
displacement, then the month day and shift that built it. The "series" was letter
coded,...P-'60....R-'61....S-'62......T-'63.....V-'64......and that's where that coding stops.
There is nothing after the mo./day code if it was the 1st shift, then "B" or "C".
This is stamped next to the headgasket on the deck surface behind the
alternator bracket.Unless it's been milled off,you'll know exactly the date it was made.
Don't confuse Casting series,which is not year specific,and Manufacture "series",
which is what Mopar termed the model year.
It is impossible to know what year the intake is specifically,but it is
no older than '77, & no newer than '80 as an iron 2bbl. intake.

Just a note of caution, be aware that the OE crank in an engine of that era
would've had the smaller rear hub dia., and would also have had a pushbutton trans
if it were an auto. Not likely your car has that swapped in,so there's a good chance
the block was used for a build to replace the orig. eng. & had the '68 and up crank
installed. One would've had to change the torque converter,input shaft/frt. drum,frt.
pump,& flexplate to make you're trans accommodate the smaller crank end(unlikely).

Some info I filed away, probably from www. slantsix.org site.
Your block is a 225 cu in and I read the last table as meaning a 1965. On the passenger side are there 3 staggered core plugs (early) or 5 in a row (later, for sure 1970's)?
Congrats you have the desirable "Super Six" 2 bbl intake, which I think started w/ Aspen/Volare and 80's trucks.
Note the crank PN's if you get that deep into it.

Attachments

• slant info 1.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 279
  • slant info 2.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 286
  • slant six casting numbers.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 275
2202857 is a 1962 block. It is not included on that very incomplete and error-riddled chart reposted by Bill G, which can nevertheless be viewed more easily here in its original location.

4104595, as others have already pointed out, is an iron 2bbl intake manifold made in or after 1977.

Just a note of caution, be aware that the OE crank in an engine of that era
would've had the smaller rear hub dia., and would also have had a pushbutton trans
if it were an auto.

The smaller crank counterbore in Slant-6 engines was from 1960-1967. It means a small-nose torque converter must be used, because the '68-up large-nose torque converter won't fit. The small-nose torque converters were used on all pre-'68 Slant-6 automatic transmissions, not just the pushbutton-controlled ones of '60-'64. And there's nothing stopping anyone putting a '68-'76 (large-counterbore) crank in a '60-'67 block; the engine the original poster asks about may be a remanufactured item, so seeing the 1962 block casting number doesn't necessarily mean this engine is a no-go in front of a '68-up automatic transmission.

The early stamped codes started w/the "series"(year),then the 1st two of the eng. displacement, then the month day and shift that built it.

That's the prescribed coding, but not all build plants adhered to it. Uniformity of engine stamping was better prior to 1966, then we start seeing more plant-to-plant variance. Still, knowing how this block is stamped would add at least small bits of information to the engine's provenance.

Unless it's been milled off,you'll know exactly the date it was made.

All you'll know from the engine stamping is when that block was originally built up into an engine assembly. And if it's a service replacement block rather than a block originally installed in a car, you won't even know that much.

If the crank is the small counterbore, the counterbore can be turned larger out for the larger later one.

Provenance? I did not know that was an option in '62....LOL

2202857 is a 1962 block. It is not included on that very incomplete and error-riddled chart reposted by Bill G,

The smaller crank counterbore in Slant-6 engines was from 1960-1967. The small-nose torque converters were used on all pre-'68 Slant-6 automatic transmissions, not just the pushbutton-controlled ones of '60-'64.

That's the prescribed coding, but not all build plants adhered to it. Uniformity of engine stamping was better prior to 1966,

All you'll know from the engine stamping is when that block was originally built up into an engine assembly.
As nice as it is to have a chart of any kind to help,it is unfortunately lacking yes.
My point was the era of eng. would not match his trans,and the team wasn't just
"swapped in" as the trans of the era would've been a pushbutton unit.Obviously a '66
-'67 unit could've been put behind the '62 eng. & used as a team. Leaving the only
other two options I stated above,different crank,or change aforementioned trans parts
I would have high confidence in the years w/the alpha year coding '64 & down.
I believe the year of the eng, orig production was the OP's ?,but if the crank was
changed,who knows what else.......

By the way Dan,...I'm still in search of a known OE 170 in a '68-'69 base V100-
170 series car,the newest casting I know of is the"246" series that was around in '64
and I don't have a definitive yes or no on a parallel update in '68 w/ the 225. Looks
to be a no so far,CharrlieS has the closest thing, a service block w/a '68 crank.Insight?

I'm still in search of a known OE 170 in a '68-'69 base V100-170 series car,the newest casting I know of is the"246" series that was around in '64 and I don't have a definitive yes or no on a parallel update in '68 w/ the 225.

I don't grasp what it is you're trying to find (or find out). There was no "170-series car" in 1968 or '69; the last year for the "Dart 170" model name—which, as you know, had nothing to do with the engine size was 1966. Last year for US/Canada availability of the 170 engine was 1969; it remained available after that for export.

Are you asking whether the 170's crankshaft rear counterbore was enlarged for '68 like the 225's was? If that's your question, the answer is yes. If that's not your question, please try asking in different words so I can get it thru my thick skull.

Lol, OK, maybe I will do a better job of articulating my query.First I'd like to give
myself a #-o , I forgot they dropped the "170" off the base dart in '67, even tho' the
V100 valiant continued that year.
The question is (and I did post it awhile back),was there a parallel block upgrade
in '68 for the lowdeck "G" casting ,to the 5 core-hole series for the "RG" talldeck one?
Or,did Mopar see the end of the 170 mill coming,and just not bother other than
swapping in the different hubbed crank and calling it a day? So far the 2463230 series
casting w/3 staggered core holes seems to be the latest one, which was around in '64.
:coffee2:

Ah! OK, that I can work with. 2463 395 is the part number for the 170 block with standard-compression pistons and rings in '64, '65, '66, '67, 68, '69, and '70-'71 (170 for export only).

For the 225, on the other hand, we see 2463 399 as the block-and-standard-compression-pistons P/N from '64 through '67, then in '68 it becomes 2951 694, where it stays through at least 1974 (and is also the 198 block-and-standard-pistons P/N starting in '70, because the only difference between a 198 and a 225 is the crank and rods). That jibes with the '68 introduction of the new RG block with five freeze plugs.

So it looks like the answer is almost clear: LG (170) engine blocks stayed with the older design, with 3 freeze plugs, right on through to the end in 1971.

But not 100% clear, because the '69 US FPC (and only the '69 US FPC, though I no longer have a '69 Canadian FPC to check) also lists 2453 772 as the 170 block with standard-compression pistons and rings with the notation "CANADA". There are also "CANADA" part numbers in the US '69 FPC for standard- and low-compression 170 and 225 blocks-with-pistons and short block assemblies. These P/Ns don't show up in any of the other US FPCs (eventually I'll be able to check '64, '65, '67, '68, '69, and '72 Canadian FPCs next time I'm at the shop I sold them to).

It's not unusual to see "peek-a-boo" stuff like this when trawling through FPCs. Sometimes stuff like this is the only readily-available clue that there were plant-to-plant variants, but sometimes it's just an artifact of the enormous job of cataloguing and organizing such a vast mountain of part numbers and information. A little less info than was intended gets supplied over here, a little more over there. I've lost count over the years of how often I've finally chased down an otherwise-invisible part number for a [year, model, part] by looking in a different-year FPC.

But even lacking a look at those other-year CFPCs for now, these "CANADA" numbers are interesting because the '66 Canadian FPC lists the same part numbers as the '65, '66, and '67 US FPC. The '66 CFPC also lists 2453 789 for the 170 block with low-compression pistons (an export setup); that same P/N is given in the '69 US FPC for 170 block with low-compression pistons, noted "CANADA". The '66 US FPC (and all other-year US FPCs from '64-'71) gives 2463 396 for 170 block with low-compression pistons. We havin' fun yet?

The US/Canada Auto Pact was not in effect for the '66 model year, but it was in full effect and Chrysler took full advantage of it in the '67-'68 timeframe, before the '69 model year, so it's a little odd that there would be Canada-specific engine block part numbers like this in '69. It suggests that Windsor Engine Plant was doing something a little different than Trenton Engine Plant, and had been for awhile given the relatively old (2453… and 2651…) part numbers on the "CANADA" blocks listed in the '69 US FPC.

I don't know how many freeze plugs one would find on any of those '69 "CANADA" blocks. But given the age of those 2453… part numbers for 170s coming out of WEP, the odds are very high there were no 5-plug LG blocks.

And now Uncle Dan needs a whiskey.

OK,thanks Dan, I suspected as much. I guess the only 100% clincher will be to find
a base model A-body w/a known OE 170 '68 or '69 and see. I'll give my orig. post a
bump, and see if we can't shake one out somewhere.
Oh.and have whiskey for me,then head on over to the "how many 170,198....."
thread, you'll find good company lol .

-
Back