Cheap secure way to ship iron cylinder heads

-

DartmanTampabay

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Looking for better options rather than USP or FedEx to ship some factory 340 X-heads.
Who has had success using different shippers and how were their prices?

Thanks FABO

I don't sell and ship heads because it's a PITA. I don't need money that bad. When I have I cut two pieces of 5/8 plywood slightly bigger than the head and sandwiched the head between the plywood with six lengths of threaded rod placed through the holes for the bolts. Always ship individually. Two small packages are cheaper than one big package. You could always roll them in cardboard. Get at least three or four wraps of cardboard and wrap it with duct tape. Write the recipients name right on the tape with sharpie and put them on the bus. Buses are great for bigger things like fenders, rear ends, tires, and the likes.

When I had my business, I would ship/receive bulk tile orders on the Greyhound bus. You just wrap it up, pay your fare, and the receiver has to show ID to get the package at the bus station. Dirt cheap.

The cardboard and duct tape is the easiest and cost effective way of shipping heads. Wrap a square around at the ends and the. Roll them in a longer length.
I have an account with Fed-Ex and they'll ship for just under a buck a pound.

Greyhound is by far the best option on heavy or large stuff. Rather fast too.

Go fedex..and not just because i work there make sure you package them properly i see improperly packaged stuff everyday just makes me shake my head..

I used fedex on the last two slant six heads I shipped. I built nice wooden boxes that the head fit securely in. Added weight but I know they were received in the same condition as I shipped them. I don't think I'll ship any again.

-
Back