Cheap Summit headers install SUM-G9040

-

Slantsix64

Reaction score
Just installed these summit $260 headers on my 1967 Barracuda, honestly pretty impressed!

318 with magnum heads, manual steering manual brakes

The Good

1.the quality on the flanges were great 3/8 thick flat flange all the way across not like what’s show in the picture Online.

2.Came with all bolts and nuts reducer gaskets and instructions save plastic to cover headers during install.

3. Driverside went right in after removing the following steering column, starter, center link, both inner tie rod ends removed center link from pitman arm. Jacked engine up 2.5 inches. I used a tie rod end puller to remove all parts and didn’t bang on anything.

4. the fit it’s pretty tight yes the headers do hang under the center link but my car is at stock ride height I run 205 70 15 tires up front Which probably won’t be a issue for me. I do like how easy it is to get the starter in, using a mini starter of course.

5. passenger side header was real easy to do jacked her up and went right in, also I’m not running a 90 degree oil filter just a short one access was easy to get to, probably use a trash bag over the header when changing oil.

6. I used loc tite on the header bolts

The Bad

1. The headers come painted but they’re not painted with high heat paint just painted for storage so they won’t rust. This took some time to sand the headers and paint them I used BBQ ultra high heat paint, I have had great results with this on previous headers. The key is to paint the headers inside and out and stick a heat gun inside the ports to heat the header up poor man’s ceramic coating.

2. I wish I could of jacked the car up couple more inches higher probably would of been more easier but i was limited on height cause my taller jack took a **** and I had to use the back up one.

3.the gaskets are junk i bought remflex gaskets they are great!

4.the header flange bolt on the driver side can’t be tightened with a box end wrench or socket, it was a pain but nothing to cry about use loctit!

5.spark plug boot on driver side looks like I’ll have to zip tie them in place.

Overall, pretty easy install just make sure to remove everything read the instructions i took out my steering column for extra access, Pretty much my only complaint is the prep for sanding and painting and wrench access but for the price not really complainin, I did the install by myself no help haven’t started the car or lowered it woke up early before work to work on it I took some pictures Didn’t come out to good I’ll probably take more when I get home.

IMG_1708.jpeg

IMG_1706.jpeg

IMG_1705.jpeg

IMG_1709.jpeg

IMG_1710.jpeg

I like the Summit header. Bought 3 sets. Zero problems. No issue with a box wrench to tighten the tight areas. ‘71 Duster 340

IMG_3416.jpeg

IMG_3415.jpeg

IMG_3491.jpeg

IMG_3490.jpeg

Headers look nice BUT over a short period of time the paint will burn off leaving paint flakes. I have sand blasted them, heated them up to the required recommended temp before applying the VHT 2200 degree High Temp paint coating which is suppose to not peel or flake. Within 100 miles the paint started peeling and flaking...

Paint won't ever last long on headers. None that I've seen anyhow.

-
Back