Chet Herbert Roller

-

340Truck

Reaction score
I have a Chet Herbert solid roller cam EA2 for la block, 285 / 555 . This cam was purchased in the 90s and cam card has somehow disappeared. Doug Herbert was not helpful other than he thought the cams of that era were 110 lsa. Anyone with experience using this or a similar cam out there your thoughts and information would be appreciated.I am trying to figure out if this cam would possibly work in 416 stroker street application.Some engine specs:340 block .030 over, 4 inch forged crank,h beams,diamond 10.03 to 1 pistons,w2 race open chamber stage 3 sdss port work,strip dominator intake,have a coan 3500 stall to use. Thanks

285 duration is advertised? The .050 would be more helpful and I understand you don't have that info.

Yes 285 is advertised,all I can do is compare to newer Herbert cams and guess 245 ish @ .050. I know I could be shooting myself in the foot so to speak with this guess but dont have anything else to go on right now.

If you are actually using W2 heads don't bother with that cam. It's too small. You should NET .650 lift.

Cams are relatively inexpensive. Call anybody but comp and get a custom ground cam.

Thanks,was just trying to use something I had to save a dime but thought I might be leaving to much power out by not at least running .600 lift with w2s.

I can't help you with the specs. I can say this. I've run Herbert cams twice. One was a solid roller in a big block Chevy and the other was a flat hydraulic in a Pontiac. Both ran very good and there were no quality issues or failures with either of them. I was a little concerned because the prices on Herbert products was considerably lower than other companies. I'm surprised Herbert can't help you with the specs. Some engine builders have the equipment to check the specs on a cam so you may want to look into that to find out depending on the cost. If you are on a budget and/or trying to limit costs, you have nothing to loose except maybe leaving some power on the table by running it. You can always upgrade later.

Not so fast! Use a 1.6 rocker and get real close to .600 lift.
You'll net .592. It will make for an excellent street machine.

Race wise.... Yellow Rose nailed it.

Thanks for input to all . I will have a cam ground for my application,this is the way to go as far as costs are concerned. Good call on 1.6 rockers though I just purchased new 1.5s last month. In all reality I have not seen much on 1.6 rockers for w2 heads. Thanks again I have to add that I specifically looked for 1.6 rockers after making the above statement and there are many offerings for them,still looks like cam is far more cost efficient.

Thanks for input to all . I will have a cam ground for my application,this is the way to go as far as costs are concerned. Good call on 1.6 rockers though I just purchased new 1.5s last month. In all reality I have not seen much on 1.6 rockers for w2 heads. Thanks again I have to add that I specifically looked for 1.6 rockers after making the above statement and there are many offerings for them,still looks like cam is far more cost efficient.

Use that cam for your regrind, which will save you buying a core.

Looked into regrind on this cam for what it would gain I believe the money should be applied to a custom grind. I talked to two places and both seem to think about .010 gain on lift is all I can get . Both assured me they thought duration could be improved upon for my motor combo though I have come to the conclusion that money spent still would not get the cam needed to utilize the w2s. I have heard of reverse engineering cams and will look into this cost further to possibly be able to apply the Herbert cam in another build. Thanks again for all info.

-
Back