Classic Auto Air #2 4/5/2024 SUCCESS!!!

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
We have 40 degree AC now.
Due to it being 50 degrees here and wind blowing it was a little tricky, but not because of the system.

For one, it was slow taking coolant because of the ambient air temp, but other than that it went like one would expect of a functional system.

Two, would be that it wouldn’t switch the AC system on until I put a small heater in the car.
Being an actual climate control system, it was already too cold for it to activate the AC.
Once it got to about 70 inside the car it came on and started blowing 40 degree air.

Now let me say, support at Classic Auto Air was excellent.
Even though we had some issues, they hung in there every step of the way until everything was solved.

I understand **** happens, but most important is how it gets cleaned up.

The heater part kicks butt.
I start getting heat way sooner than the factory unit, and it blows quite a bit hotter.

Anyhow, SUCCESS!!!

After reading your posts describing your installation woes, I'm glad you overcame the problems you encountered. You earned this success. Thanks for sharing. Please update us when you get a smoking hot summer day.

Heck yeah! I'm glad this had a happy ending. I mean, I know it's not like a massage parlor happy ending, but hey, you caint have it all.

We have 40 degree AC now.
Due to it being 50 degrees here and wind blowing it was a little tricky, but not because of the system.

For one, it was slow taking coolant because of the ambient air temp, but other than that it went like one would expect of a functional system.

Two, would be that it wouldn’t switch the AC system on until I put a small heater in the car.
Being an actual climate control system, it was already too cold for it to activate the AC.
Once it got to about 70 inside the car it came on and started blowing 40 degree air.

Now let me say, support at Classic Auto Air was excellent.
Even though we had some issues, they hung in there every step of the way until everything was solved.

I understand **** happens, but most important is how it gets cleaned up.

The heater part kicks butt.
I start getting heat way sooner than the factory unit, and it blows quite a bit hotter.

Anyhow, SUCCESS!!!
I had two threads at FBBO about aftermarket A/C installations in B body cars. I put a CAA kit in my Charger and a Vintage Air system in a 68 Plymouth.
The CAA heater did blow hotter. Holy crap that heater is as warm as any new car I've been in. The A/C cold felt about the same between the two.
Cheers to you, man. Score!

Once it got to about 70 inside the car it came on and started blowing 40 degree air
Whoaa- Deja Vu!
I just went through this very issue today- could not get the compessor clutch to engage, no voltage coming out of the trigger wire on my under dash unit. Pulled the whole unit out and apart, only to discover that the control had a thermostatic coil on it; I cupped it in my hands and blew on it for a bit and it started passing current. Put everything back together, hit the unit for minute with a heat gun and it works perfectly. Just wasted an entire afternoon and accomplished nothing- other than learning something new about AC...
:BangHead:

If you want to really test it, bring it to Lake Havasu in July! I’ve seen 125 on the dash OAT.

The only reason I would ever go there would be if I won a million dollar lottery, and I had to go there to pick up the check.

I have friends in Phoenix that I meet at car shows in the winter.
They told me I should get AC.
Then what?
Stay in the car all day?

Over 90 degrees and I’m out, AC or not.

We go to our cabin near Flagstaff (Munds Park) in the summer. Thanks for your post. I’m may put A/C in one, or both, of my Darts and I’ve gotten some good ideas and tips from the responses. Very few things are really plug and play and it was good to learn about ways to trouble-shoot various issues.

We go to our cabin near Flagstaff (Munds Park) in the summer. Thanks for your post. I’m may put A/C in one, or both, of my Darts and I’ve gotten some good ideas and tips from the responses. Very few things are really plug and play and it was good to learn about ways to trouble-shoot various issues.

I will likely put together a video for YouTube with more detail.

-
Back