Common myths

-

Arco440

Reaction score
Ok was talking with a group of buddies on team speak.During this talk someone mentioned that the he knew that the slant six was banned from racing!!!Humm?
His reasoning was the slant six could be bored out larger than a V 8 engine and this made them make to much power.
Well after laughing very hard i then asked him what class was it banned from if he had any links to prove this statement .Of course he said no it was something he remembered from his days of racing..

My question is has anyone ever heard this???

Yes i know we all want a slant 6 with more power..

Arco

I have never heard that, but I'm not in the racing circles either.

Oh yeah, for sure. It was done back in the sixties in circle track racing. The 30 degree slant on the engine gave it an unnatural advantage on the banked curves. It added biased weight where it was needed and the oiling actually improved because on the banks it was standing almost straight up like a regular engine.

OK, so it was not banned, swept the field's each time and the race series was cancelled. He is wrong then. And the bore size issue, all I can say is "Oooohhhhhhhhh booooooyyyy!!!!!" What they'll believe......

Oh yeah, for sure. It was done back in the sixties in circle track racing. The 30 degree slant on the engine gave it an unnatural advantage on the banked curves. It added biased weight where it was needed and the oiling actually improved because on the banks it was standing almost straight up like a regular engine.
Traditionally American race tracks are run counterclockwise.
So, tell me again, why it is an advantage in a racing situation to lean the engine over in the chassis in such a way as to transfer MORE weight to the outside of the chassis in the turns and cause additional unloading of the inside tires? Or lean the engine over in such a way that centrifugal force tends to keep the oil from draining back into the crankcase?

Ok was talking with a group of buddies on team speak.During this talk someone mentioned that the he knew that the slant six was banned from racing!!!Humm?
His reasoning was the slant six could be bored out larger than a V 8 engine and this made them make to much power.
Well after laughing very hard i then asked him what class was it banned from if he had any links to prove this statement .Of course he said no it was something he remembered from his days of racing..

My question is has anyone ever heard this???

Yes i know we all want a slant 6 with more power..

Arco

Of course this is true. The slant six can be bored out to more then 1 inch oversize, and stroked over 2 inches more. This will result in 559 CID. didnchno:wink::wink::wink:

Traditionally American race tracks are run counterclockwise.
So, tell me again, why it is an advantage in a racing situation to lean the engine over in the chassis in such a way as to transfer MORE weight to the outside of the chassis in the turns and cause additional unloading of the inside tires? Or lean the engine over in such a way that centrifugal force tends to keep the oil from draining back into the crankcase?

Psst, I'll let you in on a secret. On a thread about bs benching my magnet and moral compass have conflicting interests. The other part is that at 7:30 in the morning my coffee hasn't kicked in and my sugar levels are way off, so you won't get a fabricated story that will stand up to a huge amount of scrutiny. Glad I could help you with your deductive reasoning.

The reasons that NASCAR pulled the plug on the would-be series were:

1. The /6 Valiant made substantially more horsepower than the other competitors.
  2. There wasn't an acceptable way to juggle the rules for the others to catch up.
The Corvair engine had 140 CID, the Falcon had 170. For the Corvair, help would not come until 1964 when the engine was enlarged to 164 CID. Turbocharging from Chevy didn't happen until 1962 MY.

The 170 in the Falcon had an intake manifold that was part of the cylinder head casting. That puts a quick stop to much creative work to increase power on the engine.

-
Back