confusion torsion bars or no torsion bars

-

jsmopar

Reaction score
good afternoon friends, Im working on my 71 Plymouth Duster and i think im ready to order the TTI headers for the 400 to put in my car. the problem is ive been looking and talking with a friend of mine and he tells me i need to buy a elimination kit to get rid of the torsion bars as the long tubr TTI headers wont fit with torsion bars in so with eliminating the torsion bars and running coil overs it will work. But on the other hand i was talking to a nice gent on line earlier today was telling me you dont have to eliminate the bars they will fit. I dont have a lot of money right now for this so im trying to figure out do i order the elimination kit or do i order the headers ? Any info would be appreciated. Thank You

Torsion bar elimination kit, LMAO! TTI's fit just fine with torsion bars, where do people come up with this stuff? Now changing a starter after together is an issue, but just takes longer...

Torsion bar elimination kit, LMAO! TTI's fit just fine with torsion bars, where do people come up with this stuff? Now changing a starter after together is an issue, but just takes longer...
you can buy Torision Bar Eliminator kit by HDK for your mopars. thank you for your input. much appreciate all your feed back.

you can buy Torision Bar Eliminator kit by HDK for your mopars. thank you for your input. much appreciate all your feed back.
Yep, there are a dozen ways to change out the torsion bar suspension, but for the street I would never do it now, after having done it in the past...

Correct. Do it if that's what you want. Although it's not necessary with the TTI headers, you'll have more room for sure.

Yep, there are a dozen ways to change out the torsion bar suspension, but for the street I would never do it now, after having done it in the past...
Neither would I. Seems unnecessary if you're using a header that's actually made to work with torsion bars, which TTIs are.

I dont have a lot of money right now for this

not exactly where you want to start with a big block build.

hope you got all the other big expensive pieces already.

Hey @jsmopar i run TTIs with a 383 and if you have the capability to put the engine in from the bottom (back of car up 20" and use an engine hoist to raise the front into the air) you can assemble your engine and trans and front brakes/spindle into one unit and put it in all at once.

It provides the opportunity to paint everything super nice and install all at once.

You might like it!!

Good luck, post some pics of your whip man!

thank you for everyone input. now i know! very much appreciated
Now, let me say this......there have been LOTS of people have to put dings and dents in the TTIs on some cars. So keep that in mind. Personally, I think that's total bullshit that acompany cannot make a Mopar specific header (especially as high as TTIs are) that cannot fit without all that. That doesn't mean you will have to do it, just be advised.

Hey @jsmopar i run TTIs with a 383 and if you have the capability to put the engine in from the bottom (back of car up 20" and use an engine hoist to raise the front into the air) you can assemble your engine and trans and front brakes/spindle into one unit and put it in all at once.

It provides the opportunity to paint everything super nice and install all at once.

You might like it!!

Good luck, post some pics of your whip man!
IMG_4506.jpeg
IMG_4367.jpeg
IMG_4024.jpeg
IMG_4023.jpeg

Don’t use the plans! They are for ideas only. I learned the hard way but with some slight alterations you could make that idea work. It works great for mock up but the k-frame locating pins are in the k-frame bolt holes.
The white car and big block are not mine but this is what I was planning to do and still May as I have the hoist bars that attach to the bumper bracket holes in the frame too.
If you make some hoist bars you could just put your drivetrain/suspension on a heavy duty furniture dolly.

IMG_4020.jpeg
IMG_4367.jpeg
IMG_4506.jpeg

IMG_4023.jpeg
IMG_4024.jpeg

and talking with a friend of mine and he tells me i need to buy a elimination kit to get rid of the torsion bars as the long tubr TTI headers wont fit with torsion bars in so with eliminating the torsion bars and running coil overs it will work.

Your “friend” isn’t one you should listen to. He clearly is uninformed.
That is one huge problem with this hobby. There are some well intentioned people that are actually idiots. They repeat things that they heard without having any direct Experience in the situation. This helps no one. There are guys that stubbornly stick to the headers are “worthless” argument. Others argue that bigger torsion bars make your car ride like a dump truck. You have to sift through the information to get to the truth OR try things for yourself to come to your own conclusion.
In short, yes…TTI and Doug’s make headers that do fit and do work but there are some drawbacks. The factory built these cars with zero consideration for people to modify them. The steering linkage behind centerline made header fitment really difficult so the cheaper headers do often need to be dinged and dented to fit and clear.
Most often, when a more expensive header has fitment problems, it is because the car had been in a wreck and things have shifted around a bit. Worn and saggy motor mounts are another issue. Bent steering linkage as well. In short, the room for headers isn’t great and when things have been moved or damaged, it never makes fitment easier.

good afternoon friends, Im working on my 71 Plymouth Duster and i think im ready to order the TTI headers for the 400 to put in my car. the problem is ive been looking and talking with a friend of mine and he tells me i need to buy a elimination kit to get rid of the torsion bars as the long tubr TTI headers wont fit with torsion bars in so with eliminating the torsion bars and running coil overs it will work. But on the other hand i was talking to a nice gent on line earlier today was telling me you dont have to eliminate the bars they will fit. I dont have a lot of money right now for this so im trying to figure out do i order the elimination kit or do i order the headers ? Any info would be appreciated. Thank You
If the 400 is fairly stock then you should buy the smallest headers available. The smallest headers will still work just fine with a stock 400 and they'll provide more clearance.

With TTI headers you have to insure the engine is located per TTI specs. The original kframes are very sloppy all over the place leading to some engines being offset despite car never being in an accident. I had to shim my mounts to get engine located per TTI specs and no dents in any tubes they clear everything.

PXL_20240216_235936745.jpg

I see you just joined up, so Welcome Aboard!

I have 2-1/8 tti's and my torsion bars fit just fine.
No rubbing at all.
Does you friend have tti ?

Now, let me say this......there have been LOTS of people have to put dings and dents in the TTIs on some cars. So keep that in mind. Personally, I think that's total bullshit that acompany cannot make a Mopar specific header (especially as high as TTIs are) that cannot fit without all that. That doesn't mean you will have to do it, just be advised.
I didn't have to ding mine and I have 2-1/8 tubes.
Tti are nice headers... people need to learn how to install there ****

-
Back