CONSTRUCTION LOAN EXPERIENCE???

-

71340Duster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
We are exploring options in advance for our construction loan. I've learned a little through reading but haven't ever taken one out. My main question is has anyone dealt with this and if so was it a "one-time close" or "two-time close" loan? Any advantages/disadvantages comments would be appreciated, thanks.

I only know the otherside .
As a contractor I know often banks disperse funds based on progress.
Not sure about closing ?
Some large contractors help with the financial deyails.
Best of luck !!
If your acting as the general that is normally different?

I think you're correct about the funds disbursement. I need to find out from potential lenders what happens if the time to build/finalize runs over, is there a penalty etc. This is the link of one of the articles I've read, I guess I'm trying to fact check it from others experiences. Thanks for the response.

Construction Loans: Which Type is Best for You? | BuildingAdvisor

We are exploring options in advance for our construction loan. I've learned a little through reading but haven't ever taken one out. My main question is has anyone dealt with this and if so was it a "one-time close" or "two-time close" loan? Any advantages/disadvantages comments would be appreciated, thanks.
We did one about 7 years ago. We bought a foreclosure that was a new build but stopped at the sheet rock stage. It was a one time close and was easy. We determined the max loan amount after getting two to three bids for each job that needed to be done. That part was a pain. It was a 90 day construction loan paying interest on used funds. Then after 90 days it rolled into a mortgage based on how much I end up spending. Can’t remember the penalty amount if we went over the 90 days but it wasn’t too crazy. We turned in the bid and final bill for whatever job was done and it was paid directly to the contractor and the draft was also a release of lien so the couldnt come back on us. Things I did myself I paid for and turned in receipts for reimbursement. Went pretty smooth and we had almost no contractor problems. If you going to do some of the work yourself be careful of what you choose to do. Getting in over your head and holding up the other trades can set you back. Even something as simple as painting took way longer and cost more than I expected. Would have been better paying the pro and doing something else or just let the pro do it and not hold up the job and save yourself the brain damage and loss of sleep trying to get it done yourself. Also think about adding in little things that you want but maybe think you’ll do later. Spend it now and get it included into the loan. Adding 8 bucks a month to the mortgage for an rv pad, patio or sprinkler system is way better than trying to come up with the time and a few grand to do it later on.

Hi- I know nothing about this but my wife has been in new home construction for 25 years. So my wife will reply-----
OK, so you want to do a one time close. This will save you money in closing cost. Also it will lock you interest rate upfront, who knows what the interest rate will be 9-12 months from now. All forecast look like interest rates are on the rise.
You will pay interest only on what is drawn out, then at the end it will convert to your 15 or 30 yr mortgage.
Depending on your down payment the mortgage company will use the appraisal value as equity towards your down payment. The construction loan will wrap your land, improvements and home all together in one mortgage.
A two time close has more closing cost and on the second closing you will be subject to what the rates are at that point in time. Most lenders have converted to a one time close.

Thanks Wifey

The penalty is in the construction loan itself. Get that sucker done.

Im also not sure about penalties ?
Permits are normally good for a year I believe.
Most time you can get extentions , it just costs more.
I know your asking about loans, which I don't have much knowledge with.
I do however have experience and knowledge with the rest of the process.
If you are doing it yourself , make sure you know how long the lumber pkg prices , and door and window pkg ect are good for.
The prices fluctuate and that can sting at times.
Also most contractors are pretty busy in the area , so that can cause problems if your not working with or have someone in mind.
Up north the suppliers I know are Western Forest Products,, and Builders Alliance.
There is also Pro Build [ not a fan )
I hope it all goes well !!

Spend it now and get it included into the loan. Adding 8 bucks a month to the mortgage for an rv pad, patio or sprinkler system is way better than trying to come up with the time and a few grand to do it later on.

so you end up paying interest on your sprinklers for the next 30 years?

no thanks

i dont know what the O.P. is talking about here, but if it is something like an RV pad, or sprinklers (or a lean to, im putting one up as we speak) i think the age old "dont buy it till you can pay for it" is the way to go

now, i understand sometimes you need to get something done in order to peek a place habitable, but to roll those costs into a 30 year mortgage seems like a poor investment

no thanks

i dont know what the O.P. is talking about here, but if it is something like an RV pad, or sprinklers (or a lean to, im putting one up as we speak) i think the age old "dont buy it till you can pay for it" is the way to go

now, i understand sometimes you need to get something done in order to peek a place habitable, but to roll those costs into a 30 year mortgage seems like a poor investment

I agree here. It is the same as buying a brand new car and getting "lifetime oil changes" "fabric protectent" "undercoating" etc tacked onto the loan, so you can pay interest on all that crap, you don't really need. Most do it because hey it's only another $10/mo.

When we built dad' house in the mid 80's, the bank would allow "draws" depending on the stage of the build. Also pending on the building inspector signing off on each stage/draw.
Make the inspector your friend.
Lori n I are thinking of building our own and would be looking at this style of mortgage.
Good luck

I am a commercial loan officer and do construction loans for contractors. This process may differ for you since (I assume) you would be getting a consumer construction loan.

The draws are made on a % of completion basis. Meaning, the inspector has a spreadsheet that he fills out telling the bank what percentage of the house has been built. The bank funds the draws based on that.

There is no penalty for the house not being done at maturity. (Usually 12 to 18 months). The loan officer simply renews the loan for another 6-12 months. The only penalty would be that you pay more interest.

Please do your research on the builder! Ask him for supplier references and call them to see how he pays. Make sure he doesn't have too many projects going on.

Feel free to PM me of you have additional questions.

no thanks

I get that it might not seem like the best investment but it might make sense in some cases. Most people now days don't live in there house for the full mortgage life, average is only 6 to 9 years. 3k over 6-9 years at 4-4.5 percent interest is better than a 21% credit card that unfortunately most people would use to come up with funds for the project.

I get that it might not seem like the best investment but it might make sense in some cases. Most people now days don't live in there house for the full mortgage life, average is only 6 to 9 years. 3k over 6-9 years at 4-4.5 percent interest is better than a 21% credit card that unfortunately most people would use to come up with funds for the project.
That's a valid point (I am living in my third purchase home in 8 years, but the wife has promised me we will die in this one, so we should be set)

I never even considered using a credit card for something like this, that would be a terrible idea

The other thing you'll want to do with the contract for your builder is make sure it is written the the disbursements go directly to the subcontractors from the bank. That way if he has issues halfway through and goes bankrupt they (the contractors) can't put a lien on your house while the builder skates free with your cash.

I did one in 1998. It was pretty loose by today's standards but the draw done by the Contractor were based on completion points. With that being said the weather could not have been better during the build and there were no major delays....

I have a great relationship with the bank, builder, and all involved. There was never a second of any questioning about anything done. In fact my build experience was probably 1 in a million and it all went so easy really.

To the question you are probably asking about closing if you went over the predetermined completion date we had to pay more interest. And secondly there was only 1 closing..... we finished a few weeks ahead of schedule so we did not have to go through that.

Good luck,
JW

Thanks for all the responses so far. We are early in the process, currently our design is the conceptual phase and should be done in a week or so. Then modifications if desired and on to the structural design. At the same time a septic design is in the works and the builder is going to physically walk the property. We are hoping we don't have to survey, don't think either the septic or structures will be too close property lines. I will ask about the funds disbursement, seems like an important aspect. Fortunately this company has been going strong for awhile on Whidbey Island.

Thanks for all the responses so far. We are early in the process, currently our design is the conceptual phase and should be done in a week or so. Then modifications if desired and on to the structural design. At the same time a septic design is in the works and the builder is going to physically walk the property. We are hoping we don't have to survey, don't think either the septic or structures will be too close property lines. I will ask about the funds disbursement, seems like an important aspect. Fortunately this company has been going strong for awhile on Whidbey Island.

Strong piece of advice here...... Get your property surveyed..... I opted to not do it on a land purchase once and I got lucky on the outcome. What we were told were the corners of the property were in fact not (never trust a realtor.....) A few feet difference in our situation would have completely changed the value of the property. It's money well spent and piece of mind....

JW

Strong piece of advice here...... Get your property surveyed..... I opted to not do it on a land purchase once and I got lucky on the outcome. What we were told were the corners of the property were in fact not (never trust a realtor.....) A few feet difference in our situation would have completely changed the value of the property. It's money well spent and piece of mind....

JW

We asked the previous owners of our property and both sides have surveyed theirs. On one side a fence was put up and verified by the previous owner (owns a big construction company in town). I looked for markers but only briefly, plan on going back out there again to check other sides etc. If I can't locate them or there's a recommendation to do this from our builder we will fork over the $2500 and have it done. It would be peace of mind to know for sure that the fence was put in on the neighbors property.....

-
Back