Coolant Leak Issue, Need Help

-

carfreak6970

Reaction score
Hello Folks,

So this isnt an A-body, but a 1990 Dodge W150. It has the trusty LA 360 and I noticed a coolant puddle forming on the floor around the front of the engine. My dad purchased this back in 92' with 55,000 miles on it. in 1998 it received a Chrysler Re-manufactured engine and a new transmission at 101110 miles. it currently has about 208,000 miles.

I kind of commandeered the truck (since it is my fathers "back up" truck now) after I purchased a house. So I bring it out here in mid December and drove it for a little. Last I drove it was the week before Christmas since the weather turned cold and the roads went white with salt. I started to notice a small puddle forming under the front of the engine after I didnt drive it for a week or so. I didnt think anything of it since my dad said it had an issue with the timing chain cover leaking. A master mechanic at a Chrylser Jeep dealership that races a late 70s Volare had a similar issue with the 360 he put into his car. He said he just changed the timing cover and the problem stopped. According to my old man, at the time there were two timing chain covers one for $60, and one for $160. He and the master mechanic got the $60 one and installed it. This was back in 2014 when the truck had almost 193000 miles (engine had about 92,000 at that point). Prior to that he replaced the timing chain in 2011 when the truck had 184500 miles on it (engine had about 83,000 miles on it at that point).

So this leaves me to what to do about this issue. I crawled underneath the truck last night and saw that although the timing chain cover was a little wet around the crankshaft port, it was nothing compared to the droplets of coolant that were on the oil pan to block flange. The radiator is dry, but the oil pan is wet. it looks like it ran down the oil pan flange, down the oil pan, onto the cross member, and rolled to the rear of the cross member before it dripped to the floor. The engine and cross member are pretty greasy, my dad isnt as anal about keeping the engine clean like I am, so it is hard to tell if the engine is only leaking from the timing cover, or else where as well.

Has anyone encountered a similar issue? Did you find a fix for this? Could something of changed on the engine block from the time he changed the timing chain (like something being warped? or the cover not being installed correctly?)? Why would it take another 10,000 miles for the issue to come to fruition again?

Though this is an old truck that is in reasonably good shape, it is still used to haul and tow stuff since it has a cap and an 8ft bed. Sadly I wont be able to do much for the truck for a month or so due to work related events but will try to aid in any questions you may have

thank you

Depending on where the leak is, it could be the edge of the timing cover gasket or the water pump gasket. I would imagine that if the timing cover gasket was leaking you might have coolant in your oil. Pictures would definitely help.

I could be also as simple as a water pump starting to leak.

Also, I had a strange leak from the front of the fresh 340 I have in my Duster.
Broke it in on a test stand, let it sit for around 3 years before putting it in the car.
Used the same radiator hoses and radiator from the test stand.
After a month or so of just sitting, there would be a small puddle of antifreeze on the K-frame and floor.
Turned out the leak was actually a bottom radiator hose, I had to cut it slightly to get it to fit the car care correctly, and antifreeze was wicking out one of the cut nylon cords in the hose.

Check for a weep hole on the underside of the water pump.
You can stick your finger under there and see if it's wet.
If it is, it's the water pump seal itself and it needs another water pump.

I have had a bunch of LA motors over the years and never had one leak water from the timing cover. I will say based on the fact that it has only had 10k miles put on it in 7 yrs you probably have a leaky water pump. Have had to replace plenty of those over the yrs on cars I purchased that had been setting up along time.

Part store will loan a coolant system tester. Attach it at the radiator cap, pump it up, tell us where the leak is.

^^Good idea but about as simple to warm it up good so the coolant is up to pressure and then just crawl under with a lamp and watch

I didnt think about the freeze plugs... but I swear it only leaks when it sits. However I guess it is hard to determine a leak when it is moving.

So a lot of people suggest a water pump, or the timing chain cover gasket. Got it. I will try and get pictures this weekend, and sometime soon try and get a coolant system tester and see if I can spot a leak.

All you need to do is clean the crud off and then run it. It should be fairly easy to see where its coming from on a clean engine. Hell of a lot easier than guessing!

clean the sides of the block real well and then check out the freeze plugs after running it. i had a problem with the plug back by the starter. a good reason to flood the radiator with the freeze plug out while you're changing it.

As requested, Here are some photos. Mind you the truck has not moved from this spot since the end of December.

Truck 1.jpg

truck 2.jpg

truck 3.jpg

truck 4.jpg

truck 5.jpg

Unfortunately I was not able to grab a snap shot of underneath the water pump to show the hole. And I missed taking shots of the side of the block showing the freeze plugs.

If it only leaks while it is parked/cold, the most common thing is the water pump. Its the most often mis-diagnosed problem with chevy small-blocks.
Hundreds of lower rad hoses i sold. I would always offer the water pump,but customer is always right.

If its a leak other than water pump,a 15 radiator pressure tester will help.
Or a 45 dollar kit like this one.
image.jpg
Ok,$46.95 in canadian pesos...

My 87 Ramcharger leaks between the timing cover and blockon the drivers side. It has for several years. There are rust pits on the block where the gasget matches the two together. The pits are small, but let the truck sit a while and it will leave a tiny puddle. Once a year, i have to go into it and change cover gasgets. One day, ill change the motor, but for now it runs too void to mess with it for a tiny leak.

See if you can follow that white-ish crusty residue upward to its origin.

are you talking about the "residue" that is seen in the 3rd picture at the oil pan flange to oil pan mating at the corner?
Yes. I see it in 2 pics. I'm thinking timing cover gasket failure based on what I see. Coolant seeps ( from higher up of course ) while engine running but cook away/evaporate leaving the white residue.
You might follow that trail up to the weep hole at water pump just as easily.

I thought that could of been some RTV that was pushed out when it was reassembled. But I will take a closer look, thanks!

O'rei
I thought that could of been some RTV that was pushed out when it was reassembled. But I will take a closer look, thanks!
O'reillys sells a "tank valve" for less than $3 out the door & you can screw it into the 1/8 NPT coolant temp sender port at the top rear of the eng & pump it up to 10 lbs with shop air & see where it leaks. I would "maybe" drain the antifreeze so if it in addition to the external leak that is is leaking internally into the pan that you dont further that. If you go that route you can put some dish soap/water in a squirt bottle & spray the eng potential leak areas & look for bubbling.

SAM_0604.JPG

See if you can follow that white-ish crusty residue upward to its origin.

I think that is sealer from when the cover was replaced last.
The giveaway for me is that it's gooped right where the pan gasket section is that gets replaced with the little section that comes in the cover gasket set.

So I was finally able to do some checking on this... the past couple months have been pretty busy.

So i was able to clean the engine bay up pretty good and took it out and then parked it for a bit. The areas I noticed it coming from was a freeze plug in the front of the starter, the freeze plug above the left engine mount, and around the upper part of the timing cover. So there is not much I can do about the freeze plugs besides change them, so I may do that in the fall/winter. As for the cover I will try and retorque the bolts and see if that helps.

How difficult is it to change freeze plugs?

I also noticed some engine oil dripping from the trans dust cover, so that tells me the rear main seal could use some attention. How difficult is it to change the rear main with the engine still in a vehicle?

After reading this again a couple people did say water pump, but I did not look closely enough at that. I will try and do that this week to see if that is also an issue.

rear main seal would be easier if engine was out. Pan has to come off, its inside the rear main cap.

I also had this issue between timing cover and block. The metal gasket rots away. Could be they didn't put sealer on the bolts going into water jacket...

20171125_103227.jpg

20171125_103242.jpg

-
Back