Cooling problems

-
I agree that the shroud is restricting air flow. If you look at it there is about 25% of the surface area or more of the radiator that is being blocked by the shroud. I'd either have louvers punched in it or back it away from the radiator more. Air doesn't like to change directions very well and the way it appears now it has to come through the radiator and make a hard 90* turn to get to the fan. When you are going down the road the fan actually becomes an obstacle for air flow so you need free flowing air to get by it.
Also you said you were pushing the air with the fan through the radiator. If in fact it's pushing toward the radiator then you have to change that because you're fighting any air flow through the radiator once you start moving. The way you have it mounted it needs to pull the air through.
I would advise against using straight water in a cooling system unless you want to end up with nothing but rust in the system. 50/50 mix of antifreeze is just fine (as long as it's NOT DEXCOOL). If a cooling system can't cool an engine down with that you have other problems. Not the coolant's fault.
I wouldn't play around with the size of the pulleys too much because sometimes more coolant flow makes it worse. Slower flow sometimes works better because it allows the coolant to absorb more heat from the engine and sink it into the radiator better because it is in them longer- moving slower.
All of this is assuming that your radiator isn't blocked and your thermostat is working right.

Last edited:
I said that shroud LOOKS restrictive. Deal with it... it does. if he isn't cooling at high speed, then he isn't getting enough air flow or coolant flow. until he pressure tests his system, we wont know if there are abnormalities. even with a shitty rad hose and stock water pump, he should cool.

You can always run a flowkooler, and a lower temp thermo... but it should be enough as is. For all you know a hose is leaking out a lbs or two of pressure, lower the boiling point but not leaking. OR... get a better fan design.

I daily drive my POS and beat the **** out of it and let it idle while im in the store or gas station... EVERYDAY. it hit 95 last week and my **** hit 205 at max. viscous fan, 22" champion rad, 185 thermo, dual circuit oil cooler in-front and utilizing the internal trans cooler. high initial timing and running slightly lean at idle.

I do run a cold air intake system so i dont breathe hot *** air. and I have coated and partially wrapped headers, an oil and power steering fluid cooler. BUT no hood scoop or vent to let out hot air. And when I say i beat the **** out of this car, I mean I am ruthless. I want the teener to pop so i can build a 408.

But for real, I cannot tell you how many cars I have worked on that leaked out pressure a bit on their hose clamps.

I agree that the shroud is restricting air flow. If you look at it there is about 25% of the surface area or more of the radiator that is being blocked by the shroud. I'd either have louvers punched in it or back it away from the radiator more. Air doesn't like to change directions very well and the way it appears now it has to come through the radiator and make a hard 90* turn to get to the fan. When you are going down the road the fan actually becomes an obstacle for air flow so you need free flowing air to get by it.
Also you said you were pushing the air with the fan through the radiator. If in fact it's pushing toward the radiator then you have to change that because you're fighting any air flow through the radiator once you start moving. The way you have it mounted it needs to pull the air through.
I would advise against using straight water in a cooling system unless you want to end up with nothing but rust in the system. 50/50 mix of antifreeze is just fine (as long as it's NOT DEXCOOL). If a cooling system can't cool an engine down with that you have other problems. Not the coolant's fault.
Ment to say fan is pulling and the water is just a trial . Once I get this straightened out i'll go back to 50/50.

I took a good look at the radiator shroud tonight and I see what you mean . The shroud with the fan isn't letting air pass. Fan rated at 2250 probably lower then that when operating not keeping up and actually acting as a block trapping heat. Local junk yard has a Taurus fan from V6 $25. I think I'll get it and do some testing this week end.
My radiator is only about 4 years old and not many miles . Core is 20" X 18" cross flow with 2 , 1 " tubes I'd like to give it a chance before moving on.
Tried to PM goldduster318 but his mailbox is full.

had the same issue and same fan config in my 505 stroker. you are not moving enough air thru that rad. i went to a dual fan spal set up and problem solved. also flaps in dead areas are a big plus.

had the same issue and same fan config in my 505 stroker. you are not moving enough air thru that rad. i went to a dual fan spal set up and problem solved. also flaps in dead areas are a big plus.

Thanks I've pretty much come to that conclusion . Went to several junk yards yesterday , said they had the Taurus 3.8 fan ,nothing had been looking at one on eBay new came with 10 yr warranty . little more then I wanted to spend but its on its way. I don't have room for a twin fan. I'm looking for fan relay kits or wiring solutions now. What did you do with that.

Thanks I've pretty much come to that conclusion . Went to several junk yards yesterday , said they had the Taurus 3.8 fan ,nothing had been looking at one on eBay new came with 10 yr warranty . little more then I wanted to spend but its on its way. I don't have room for a twin fan. I'm looking for fan relay kits or wiring solutions now. What did you do with that.

went with this, pretty much plug and play
SPAL FRH: Fan Relay Wiring Harness Does Not Include Thermo-Switch | JEGS

what does shroud measure

is this the fan you are planing to use
FanRadICmounting-1.jpg

I ran the Ford 3.8 on my big block 73 dart. It worked great and I used a Painless fan relay kit on my car. Here is the link that has the picks and info of my set up. Also there are some other members that have some of there fan set ups etc

Radiator choices

I ran the Ford 3.8 on my big block 73 dart. It worked great and I used a Painless fan relay kit on my car. Here is the link that has the picks and info of my set up. Also there are some other members that have some of there fan set ups etc

Radiator choices

Thanks I'll take a look at it. Kinda feeling my way through. Hoping I have enough radiator.

Thanks I'll take a look at it. Kinda feeling my way through. Hoping I have enough radiator.

I would put the biggest rad you can fit in your car. I think I only payed 160-170 for mine from summit racing

I would put the biggest rad you can fit in your car. I think I only payed 160-170 for mine from summit racing
First I want to see if my old fan will work , witch isn't old. . Core is 20X18 cross flow , two 1" tubes. I have an electric fan already. If radiator doesn't work I'll go to plan "B"

Sorry (spelling) you pulled the battery, put it in the trunk.
Oh yes I put the battery in the trunk. I used the ford fan but don't remember the size. But one thing I did like about it, is the fan motor is offset and it helped clear the electric water pump. Also chevy makes a HHR fan that a lot of people use and like

Oh yes I put the battery in the trunk. I used the ford fan but don't remember the size. But one thing I did like about it, is the fan motor is offset and it helped clear the electric water pump. Also chevy makes a HHR fan that a lot of people use and like

What relay kit did you run.

What relay kit did you run.

I ran a painless fan relay kit. I used a toggle switch to turn my fan on and off. But you need to decide if you want to run both speeds of the ford fan. I ran mine just on the high setting. Mine was a race/ street car. Also if yours is going to be mostly a street car. I would get a fan kit that controls the fans by engine temp etc. but need to know more info before I can recommend a set up

I ran a painless fan relay kit. I used a toggle switch to turn my fan on and off. But you need to decide if you want to run both speeds of the ford fan. I ran mine just on the high setting. Mine was a race/ street car. Also if yours is going to be mostly a street car. I would get a fan kit that controls the fans by engine temp etc. but need to know more info before I can recommend a set up
Yes lm looking at temp kits 200/185. Also did you get a Taurus pig tale or use your own connectors

Yes lm looking at temp kits 200/185. Also did you get a Taurus pig tale or use your own connectors
I bought the pig tail from the Ford dealer. My aunt used to work in the parts department

3 core radiator.
Small 16" fan.push.
With some shroud.
Should be good.
With proper water pump.

3 core radiator.
Small 16" fan.push.
With some shroud.
Should be good.
With proper water pump.
not down here in our heat, tried all that before going to the Contour fans with Dakota controller and this setup is the best I have tried. Drove it yesterday with temps in 90's and not a problem.

-
Back