couple questions i should have asked before hand

-

1970-dart

Reaction score
here is the info i got when i bought it and some pictures. i guess my questions are what is the ring with the small teeth/gears and do you think this will fit in my rear end. I have a 1970 swinger 2 door hard top with a stock 8.25 rear out of a 1974 swinger 2 door hard top

Dodge Plymouth Mopar 8.25 8 1/4 Sure Grip Trac Lok Posi 3.55 Gears 27 spline

View attachment gear.jpg

View attachment gear1.jpg

View attachment gear2.jpg

View attachment gear3.jpg

Condition: Used
Brand: Dana/Spicer
Placement on Vehicle: Rear
Manufacturer Part Number: mopar chysler pickup sure grip lsd ram 10 bolt
Interchange Part Number: Limited slip locking differential dakota van car
Part Brand: OEM MOPAR
Other Part Number:355 Axle Differential Diff Track Lock Anti Spin

Dodge 8.25 sure grip / trac lok (posi) 27 spline unit with 3.55 (11-39) gears. Gears have a nice wear pattern and unit is nice and tight. Includes adjusters, races, c clips, abs reluctor ring and used bearings that could be used as is or replace to your liking. Should fit many different years and models with the 27 spline 8.25 rearend (1997 and older 10 bolt)

thanks in advance Don

If your axles are 27 spline, then there should be no problem.

The thing with the small "teeth" on it is the ABS reluctor ring. Obviously your car doesn't have Anti-Lock Brakes, so you don't need it. But it shouldn't hurt anything.

...........I believe 75 up has different bearings than 74 down................kim..........

Bearings as in the side bearings ?? Because this one came with bearings and the holders ( races ??) or whatever they are called. They are the only bearings (other than pinion )in there correct

Carrier bearings (2) and pinion bearings (2).

I'm confused, the info says 'suregrip'.

Carrier bearings (2) and pinion bearings (2).

I'm confused, the info says 'suregrip'.

Confused ?? Is it because it don't look like a sure grip to you ??

its more like a trac lock

Last edited:
...........I believe 75 up has different bearings than 74 down................kim..........

I got the old one out and the carrier/side bearings are for sure smaller so I'm going to measure and see if the older size bearings will fit on the new carrier and pinion and if so il just order new ones for the 74 rear and put them on the new carrier and pinion.

Well back to the drawing board and more research. The bearing sizes are bigger outside and inside on the new one so I need to figure out if there are bearings that are the same size on the outside as the old ones to fit in the races and bigger on the inside to fit the bigger shaft of the newer carrier.

Or just buy some different ring and pinion gears to fit the old open carrier for now.

There are two sizes of carrier brngs. Get the cone off the carrier shaft and measure that shaft OD. Record that and ID of case bore, then talk to good parts store for proper brng set. Dr Diff could answer your questions and supply bearings too.

Looking like I might have wasted my money on that stupid carrier and mine has 245s so I can't go any more on that one. Oh well live and learn.

after countless hours of searching the net it looks like there might be hope for me after all and it was right here lol go figure. while the carrier is a little different ( as far as clutch type)it looks like the rest could be the same.

So now i know i should be able to safely remove the ABS ring and the pinion bearing should be the same ( still need to get a micrometer and measure) now i just need to find out of the "right" size bearings are the ones like i have on original carrier so hoping i can get a good measurement with the bearings still on and if not ill pull one off.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=205227

so pinion bearing is the same and the bearings off the old carrier will fit on the new one so i will buy all new bearings and seals and go from there. Im gonna take the rest of the rear end out so its easier to work on while setting it all up. will update as i go and add pics to my build thread.

Am I missing something??? That carrier sure does not look like a surgrip, track-lock, or (sic) Posi. It has every bit of appearance of an open differential. No clutches, cones, or springs only spider gears....

Am I missing something??? That carrier sure does not look like a surgrip, track-lock, or (sic) Posi. It has every bit of appearance of an open differential. No clutches, cones, or springs only spider gears....

ya got a little messed up on i that i suppose but at this time it is what it is and at least but at least i will have better gears for now.

ya got a little messed up on i that i suppose and emailed the guy but at this time it is what it is and at least i will have better gears for now.

His response.

Hello yes it is a track lock that's how they are made. They have pressure plates behind the side gears next to the clutches that give it preload. All the clutches hide behind the side gears. Thanks.

Well it's back together and seems to work just fine.Seeings the gear set was used we set it up for pretty much as close as possible to the same wear pattern that the set was already showing. It was late and dark out so I took it just for a short two mile drive and while I wanna dive it a little and recheck all the ubolts and what not.

Over all in the couple miles I drove it I'm super happy and it seems to have really woke up the sleeping beast from under the hood. Lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 316
here is the info i got when i bought it and some pictures. i guess my questions are what is the ring with the small teeth/gears and do you think this will fit in my rear end. I have a 1970 swinger 2 door hard top with a stock 8.25 rear out of a 1974 swinger 2 door hard top

Dodge Plymouth Mopar 8.25 8 1/4 Sure Grip Trac Lok Posi 3.55 Gears 27 spline

View attachment 1714885692

View attachment 1714885693

View attachment 1714885694

View attachment 1714885695

Condition: Used
Brand: Dana/Spicer
Placement on Vehicle: Rear
Manufacturer Part Number: mopar chysler pickup sure grip lsd ram 10 bolt
Interchange Part Number: Limited slip locking differential dakota van car
Part Brand: OEM MOPAR
Other Part Number:355 Axle Differential Diff Track Lock Anti Spin

Dodge 8.25 sure grip / trac lok (posi) 27 spline unit with 3.55 (11-39) gears. Gears have a nice wear pattern and unit is nice and tight. Includes adjusters, races, c clips, abs reluctor ring and used bearings that could be used as is or replace to your liking. Should fit many different years and models with the 27 spline 8.25 rearend (1997 and older 10 bolt)

thanks in advance Don

Just for the record, that is not any type of posi traction differential. The seller fibbed.

HEY A GEINUS IDEA FROM A CONVERSATION A FEW WEEKS AGO. THE PINION BEARINGS ARE *** PAIN TO TAKE OFF FOR SHIM CHANGES. GET A NEW BEARING AND GRIND THE INSIDE A BIT TO SLIP OVER THE PINION FOR SETTING IT UP THEN REMOVE IT AND PRESS THE NEW ONE ON. Thanks @bendrinking

Last edited:
-
Back