Crane's energizer cams

-

MoparDemon

Reaction score
Hey guys, i have a crane energizer 272, .454 lift cam...just wondering what the performance level of this cam is and does it have enough of the choppy sound im looking for also, or even if anyone has a video they can post?
My main concern is that it wont have the sound and performance i want but also i do plan to use my Demon as a driver more so than a racer or even street and strip...read up that this cam gives good gas mileage too? Thx Brad.

It's a mild performance grind. It does have a slight idle with good performance to 5200-5500 rpm. I ran one some years ago in a mild 360,ran low 12's in a Duster and I used the same engine in my D150 pickup that got driven many miles and lots of long road trips without issue. It will depend on the overall combo to determine if its a good match.

Had one in a 318 years ago, sounded good very drivable. In a 360+ CI motor it might be a little tame sounding.

I run one in my 71 Charger. 360 .030, Sealed power flat top pistons, 1.88 "J" heads port matched 3 angle valve job and shaved .050". Eddy performer RPM, Holley 670 street avenger, Re-curved dist and converted to HEI. Headers 2-1/4 duals summit turbo mufflers. I was getting 16.5 mpg out of it with 3.23 rear and a REALLY worn out 727. I just put in a new lock up 727 with a factory High stall converter and hoping for another 1-2 mpg as the builder claims.
It's very streetable, has a slight lope pulls really hard. The best $99.00 cam/lifter kit I ever purchased.
I can post a video if someone can tell me how to do it.

I ran a Crane split with that same intake spec. The exhaust spec was advertised at 272/.480. In a dead stock '79, 318. With a 904/3.23, I was able to get 17 on the Hwy. Added headers,-2-1/2 exhaust,D4B intake and a 600 carb.

The idle had little chop to it once it warmed up. The Duster mustered high 14's.

Crane's always been a favorite of mine for double-duty engines. That family of cams is quite good. I daily drove a 340, and passed emissions with it too with the step down from that one. They have a noticable idle sound, but it's not choppy or radical.

360, .040" silvolite replacement pistons, stock heads, chinese air gap intake, crane .454 energizer 2 1/2 exhaust w/ x pipe thrush chambered muffs.
just before I threw a rod bearing
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C37-3LYwA90"]73 dart 360 thrush mufflers - YouTube[/ame]

Sounds different now. I have the summit 1798cam which is made by crane. Its their. 480/.480 [email protected] cam sounds even better.now.

I had that cam in a 318+.040 and a set of 1.88 j heads, I didn't like it much. Not lopey enough for me :)

That cam was in my Dart when I bought it. It runs good but it's tired.
I intend to rebuild the 318 thats in there this winter and the plan is to stick with this cam if possible.

-
Back