damper question

-
I believe they are. What is different though is the position of the timing tab on the T chain cover, I forget when that changed.
(meaning the location of the timing mark will be off, if you swap between them)
I've seen talk of swappability of dampers between cast and forged cranks before, both here and at the /6.org site.

Last edited:
reminds me, related info.

I had sent the original damper out to be rebuilt, on the 74 engine I rebuilt, by "Damper Dudes". there are 2 damper rebuild companies both out of Cali.
I have the bolt on pulley for the PS pump, but I was looking for the other bolt on pulley/ so I can eventually run AC.
Instead I found a newly rebuilt, "industrial"/HD truck" application, 3 groove damper, without much more searching/ so I quit looking for the A/C pulley. The PS pulley bolts on the front of a single groove damper, the AC pulley (if equipped) bolts onto the back side of the damper. a 3 groove version, takes care of all of that, in 1 piece.
so I used that damper instead. I'm keeping the original one I had rebuilt, at least until it's in and running/ and the inevitable "quirks" of the engine swap, are behind me.
This 3 groove one I have, was done by "the other damper guys", Damper Doctor. Have no control over who "somebody else" wants to use, for a given process. Can't say anything bad about either. prices are close, they both do "rebuild and return". NOT complaining.
The question I have, I think that Damper Dr has done some consolidation of numbers, and looking up their site I'm not seeing some of what I'd seen, back when I sent mine out..... though "the Doctor" does have a disclaimer on their site that says something like "all Chrysler dampers we have/can rebuild, are shown in this website/online catalog". It hasn't been that long, since I was last in their site. and it looked a little sparse vs when I last looked there. (was looking for a damper for a different sort of engine, that time)

Anyways the number on this 3 groove damper box says "CHR2252". I looked yesterday and they show that number coming back as a 2 groove damper. Which I don't remember as being an option, when I had my /6 damper redone.
I don't remember even seeing a 3 groove /6 damper listed on their site, when I looked the other day.
I went there for verification of what the OP of this thread, was asking. Does anybody have any insight on this company's offerings? As I remember the box had "77 slant 6" written on it in black Sharpie. (have to dig the box out tomorrow when I go out to the garage) my 74 is forged crank, 77 would have been a cast crank. I do know this 3 groove damper went right on no problem.

the issue im having is I did a lot of things at once , and I pulled the engine again. I did the Wilcap 700r4 swap kit, a used crank bought from the internet. at around 1400 - 1800 rpm
have a vibration, grunt coming from engine its a weird feeling like it's elliptical .the Wilcap kit spacer they provide was not long enough , so had one made so now the torque converter sits in the end on the crank better. I had the crank balanced and I put new pistons again and balanced the rods. I drove it yesterday and its much better but still there. Tomorrow will hopefully have time to drive it . but never came across a engine vibration like that before. im going to disconnect torque converter and see if I can feel it.
and I also put another torque converter so its not that. The other used engine I have has a new balancer on it and I looked on rock auto and they list 2 models the better quality one and a cheaper one. well the cheaper one is on the engine now the better quality one I will swap out and try.
hopefully its that

-
Back