harmonic balancer cast vs forged

-

67belevdere/225

Reaction score
I m wondering if anybody knows about harmonic balancers
I read that you cant swap the later cast crankshaft model for the earlier forged one
I have 67 with forged crank and I m looking to buy one from pioneer industries from summit

IMG_4185.JPG

IMG_4186.JPG

IMG_4187.JPG

All slants were internal balance engines cast or forged.The slant balancer has the pulley built into it .You can buy a performance balancer for a 440 that fits but requires work and the belt alignment issues. There are performance Slant balancers from down under but I don't think you need to get into that for your engine.What part number from summit are you looking at ? The Pioneer DA-2250 is a factory replacement and should be fine for a street car.

There are block differences between the forged and cast crank engines so the cranks don't interchange.

Last edited:
The Pioneer damper (or the ATP, or the Dayco PowerBond, or the Dorman) will work fine on your engine. Re-use the original front (power steer) and/or rear (air condition) bolt-on auxiliary pulleys as needed. Or if you'd rather have a factory Dodge truck heavy-duty 3-groove damper, I have one left on the shelf, new in box; send me a PM.

Thanks Dan for that info on the truck damper. I swear I learn something new from you with every post.

I m wondering if anybody knows about harmonic balancers
I read that you cant swap the later cast crankshaft model for the earlier forged one
I have 67 with forged crank and I m looking to buy one from pioneer industries
As has been said, any suitable neutral balance damper will work. In the Direct Connections racing manuals, it does state that, "The 1976-77 cast crankshaft engine uses a
different damper. They should not be swapped." Even though there are erroneous "crossover" passages & text between the various V8 tech articles & the slanty one, this
doesn't explain this one, because I can't think of one V8 where this applies to those years specifically. Whats worse is there is no explanation as to exactly what & why they
they would be different. As all inline sixes are inherently balance gifted, there should not be any intentional imbalance incorporated in the damper for any reason. Only maybe
a damper ring targeting a different resonance based on the material used for the crank makes any sense to Me. There is also no explanation as to why '78 and up cast cranks
don't use the same damper, again, this doesn't jibe with any cast crank V8's at all.
Luckily for You, it doesn't matter, let us know what You end up with.......and welcome to FABO!!:welcome:

Oh, the other thing: you'll want to verify your TDC once you get everything assembled. The new balancer's timing mark may not match up with your timing cover/timing tab; you may need to make a new mark on the new balancer.

i would of taken yours dan i already order one from summit, thanks for the great advice
i have the timing cover on there from a 82 diplomat will check for sure

My original timing cover on my 64 is bent, I have a late model timing cover just like the one pictures above that came from a truck.

I'd really like not to put my own marks in the damper. Anyone know what damper listed will work with later model covers ?

My original timing cover on my 64 is bent, I have a late model timing cover just like the one pictures above.

I'd really like not to put my own marks in the damper. Anyone know what damper listed will work with later model covers ?

No, but it's pretty easy to find TDC using a piston stop in #1 spark plug hole. A little punch mark with a chisel or punch and you are good.
When I put my 1964 225 together, the original dampet mark was only off 1/32".

-
Back