Difficulties with filling the tank all the way up

-

remytherat

Reaction score
When I fill up the tank by letting the pump shut itself off, I always end up getting gas everywhere because the pump stops a split second too late, causing gas to splash out of the neck. Anyone else having similar issues? Any ideas?

I live in california with the stupid the evap system pumps if that changes things

My 66 Barracuda will do that. I know about how much my tank will need (by tracking miles on the trip meter) so as it gets close I "try" to listen for the gas as it gets near.

Also, around here the non-ethanol pump handles are variable speed that allow you to slow down the flow. They are great compared to the regular full blast ones.

They all do it because of the angle of the filler neck. Not much way around it. Just hold the nozzle manually on a lower fill speed and you won't have that problem.

Part of the problem seems to be the overly high pressure used by some stations. I buy at two stations here on the same street, but one day I was closer to one on the other side of the highway. CHRIST that thing was so high there was NO WAY it was going to work One of the attendants said, "people complain all the time, but the owner won't fix it"

I wounder?? if you could fabricate a special fitting, AKA a large enough tube to accept the nozzle say, 9" to a foot long, with a piece of soft ?maybe? clear tube to insert under the the split in the filler tube (lower path) and built so that it would allow air out around the neck opening (for the upper path which vents)

Many people think the tank vent---the 1/4" tube--is the problem. IT AIN'T. The only way you could fix that is if it was huge, perhaps 1/2 or larger, and high enough that fuel would not be forced up into it

somebody makes inserts for pre-unleaded filler tubes so the gas doesn't gush around the smaller nozzle

I eliminated this on my 66’ by adding a vent nipple and a roll over valve at the top of the tank. You still can not walk away while filling the tank. But “splash down the side” happens about almost never since.

Side note: I bought a brand new tank to weld the vent nipple on and at the same time, I welded a tank drain in. For draining this ethanol crap out at the end of the year before hibernation. Tank welding can be very dangerous- fumes can linger and expand for a long time.
Syleng1

With my 63 Valiant I would flip the nozzle up side down.
Also listen and hear the gurgles when approaching full.
Worked for me !

You didn't say what car or model year we're talking about here; but with that said, the early As ('66 and earlier) are much more prone to this due to their smaller fill tube diameter than later As with larger tubes, although they all still can act up with the higher nozzle pressures some stations use; as previously stated.
Layson's offered a modified fill tube (actually, I think it was a "send it in and we'll modify it) package that added an internal vent that addressed this problem. Not sure if they're still doing it, you could contact them or maybe @Rick@Laysons will chime in on this.
The Aussies have dealt with this for years, and even offered a drip shield to help avoid the dreaded "paint drool" on your quarters under the fuel fill.
1701270102769.png

Kinda surprised nobody in the U.S. has picked up on these and offered repros. I'd really like to get one for my '66 wagon, which has REALLY goofy bends to it's fill tube and is especially prone to this...

Last edited:
Most modern cars/trucks have narrower fuel filler necks and quite a few have a flapper inside that keeps fuel from splashing back.

There’s this retrofit item that installs into an earlier filler, but this particular one has been out of stock for at least several months

Unleaded Gas Fuel Fill Neck Restrictor W/ Flapper For 2" Necks

Other options would be use a later filler neck upper and adapt it for use on your car.

But beyond that, yes, it’s very difficult to keep the modern gas nozzles with an evap system from splashing back when filling one of these cars. It’s just the new style nozzles paired with the classic style filler. You can’t use the auto-shut off feature, and I’m about 50/50 listening for the change in the sound of the fuel depending on how noisy the station is.

I'm too young to know, how did the gas pumps work back in the day so this didn't happen? Or was it just another "Chrysler thing" people always had to deal with?

I'm too young to know, how did the gas pumps work back in the day so this didn't happen?
Older pumps pumped with less pressure, and the dispense tube on the pump handle was larger to more closely match the filler tube.

I hold the pump handle upside down with today's pumps and listen for the sound to change and can hear when the gas is coming up the filler tube.

The actual filler nozzle of the pump was larger and fit better in the old car's fill tube. When unleaded gas came out (you used to have a choice - leaded or unleaded), new cars that took unleaded only (catalytic converter) had a smaller neck in the car filler tube that would keep you from accidentally filling with leaded and killing the converter. Now old cars have big tubes and all the gas nozzles are small.

Part of the problem seems to be the overly high pressure used by some stations. I buy at two stations here on the same street, but one day I was closer to one on the other side of the highway. CHRIST that thing was so high there was NO WAY it was going to work One of the attendants said, "people complain all the time, but the owner won't fix it"

I wounder?? if you could fabricate a special fitting, AKA a large enough tube to accept the nozzle say, 9" to a foot long, with a piece of soft ?maybe? clear tube to insert under the the split in the filler tube (lower path) and built so that it would allow air out around the neck opening (for the upper path which vents)

Many people think the tank vent---the 1/4" tube--is the problem. IT AIN'T. The only way you could fix thatAll people have to do is slow down is if it was huge, perhaps 1/2 or larger, and high enough that fuel would not be forced up into it
.....and of course THAT problem comes from the fact that everyone is in such a damn hurry these days. All people have to do is slow down a little and the problem will go away. It takes a little more time to fill Vixen and Gladys than it does to fill the Escape, but it's not really by much.

Older pumps pumped with less pressure, and the dispense tube on the pump handle was larger to more closely match the filler tube.

I hold the pump handle upside down with today's pumps and listen for the sound to change and can hear when the gas is coming up the filler tube.
Yeah, it's not like it takes a lot of brain power to figure it out.

Interesting. I listen too and stop the pump before it overfills but how does holding the handle upside down help? Does it make the stop trigger quicker?

Interesting. I listen too and stop the pump before it overfills but how does holding the handle upside down help? Does it make the stop trigger quicker?
Yes. It works better for me holding the handle sideways.

-
Back