Does 318 engine need a charcoal canister?

-

Bossman

Reaction score
Hello,
New to rebuilding and car restoration. I have a 1950 Chrysler that I put in a 318 engine. I believe it is a 79 318. The engine is complete but does it need a charcoal canister or anything else for example for the oil as well? I heard the oil needs to circulate through a type of canister or radiator type thing as well? Any help is appreciated

No The charcoal canister was in fuel vapor capture/return per EPA regulations.

Charcoal canister is just to catch raw fuel vapors coming from the carb and fuel tank which would normally just be released into the air; totally not necessary unless you're concerned about fumes.

I heard the oil needs to circulate through a type of canister or radiator type thing as well? Any help is appreciated
I never heard of such a thing. Who ever told you that, walk away, quickly, no, scratch that, run, RUN QUICKLY!

RedFish & MoparR&D's explaination is 100% correct. If you need to have this pass emissions, that would help it do so. Or if you want to be "As Green as possible" with an old mill.... Or a resto which I know this is not....

re-installing the charcoal canister on my car helped to keep fuel from evaporating out of the open vent line where someone had removed it. If I didn't drive it for a week or whatever I would get back in it and notice the fuel gauge was lower than previous drive by a noticeable amount. Also helped with vapors somewhat but less noticeable.

I had a truck years ago that someone deleted the vapour canister. If i ran under1/2 tank i would get fuel smell in the jimmy.
And if it sat in the garage, it would stink the place up.
Canister cured it.

re-installing the charcoal canister on my car helped to keep fuel from evaporating out of the open vent line where someone had removed it. If I didn't drive it for a week or whatever I would get back in it and notice the fuel gauge was lower than previous drive by a noticeable amount. Also helped with vapors somewhat but less noticeable.
I think the kid down the street with the siphon hose just happened to move the same day you reinstalled that canister.

My Dad had an old friend that said someone was stealing gas out of his Honda 90.
Dad asked why he thought that and the guy said "I just put 50 cent in it last month and it's almost gone."

I can't imagine enough gas could be evaporating to be noticeable at all.
Kinda thinkin something else is going on there.

On some models, the draw thru purge to the canister is continuous.You can use it as a controlled vacuum leak to augment the PCV as the Idle Air Bleed, if you need this.
Other models do not allow the purge until the engine is warmed up. This is a handy idle-enrichment when cold; and off-idle enleanment once the engine has purged all the vapors outta that keg. Driveaway on a half-warmed up engine while purging, can be nicer too, as the vapors hit the intake.
Does your car need it? probably not. Can you make use of it? I think so.
Kindof like the vacuum advance; sure you can run without it.... but why would you?, there is no downside.And the benefits could be will worth the install.
On a HotRod that only sees limited use, well that's your call. I'm getting old, chubby, and lazy, so I'd probably not pluck it off the 79car,lol.

My Dad had an old friend that said someone was stealing gas out of his Honda 90.
Dad asked why he thought that and the guy said "I just put 50 cent in it last month and it's almost gone."

I can't imagine enough gas could be evaporating to be noticeable at all.
Kinda thinkin something else is going on there.

Dont know, maybe it was mental, but I'm keeping the canister in there since it isn't doing any harm. haha ... sure wish 50 cents got you any gas these days.

-
Back