Door Jam Rust Damage Advice

-

Zachary

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm not quite sure what this it's called exactly, and I'll post a picture so you can see exactly what I'm talking about, but the part the door grabs onto to stay closed is broken. The part itself seems fine, but the metal where it's attached is broken. Sorry for my poor description, but basically I'm looking for some advice as to how to fix it? Thank You.

20161016_161227.jpg

Hey everyone. I'm not quite sure what this it's called exactly, and I'll post a picture so you can see exactly what I'm talking about, but the part the door grabs onto to stay closed is broken. The part itself seems fine, but the metal where it's attached is broken. Sorry for my poor description, but basically I'm looking for some advice as to how to fix it? Thank You.

View attachment 1714980586

2 options, make you a patch and cut out the damaged area or buy you a new door jam panel from amd and weld it in

You need to remove the inside panel and look at that area from the inside. I am betting there is a LOT more rust there than you realize.

As Rusty said, you should for sure look inside. Mine was only broken around the washer, but all the way around so the latch was totally loose. I welded, but then also backed it with a metal plate ( used a 4X4 electrical cover plate with a knockout). I drilled 6 or 8 holes around the latch hole,& plug welded the plate to the jamb then had to weld the "holder" to the plate. I had the Qtr off, so a little easier, but could be done from inside. Thought I had a closer up, but if you zoom in on 2nd pic, you will see plate.

IMG_0852.JPG

IMG_0886.JPG

As Rusty said, you should for sure look inside. Mine was only broken around the washer, but all the way around so the latch was totally loose. I welded, but then also backed it with a metal plate ( used a 4X4 electrical cover plate with a knockout). I drilled 6 or 8 holes around the latch hole,& plug welded the plate to the jamb then had to weld the "holder" to the plate. I had the Qtr off, so a little easier, but could be done from inside. Thought I had a closer up, but if you zoom in on 2nd pic, you will see plate.

View attachment 1714980702

View attachment 1714980709
I would love to go that in depth with my project, but I don't have a garage as of right now to park the Duster in order to take everything out of it. However, it is in my plan to do so. I will keep this mind tho when I cross that road.

-
Back