downright confused

-

duster wonder

National Guard Member
Reaction score
dropping a 360 from a 87 dodge pickup into my duster that has a 904 under it, taking out the 318

i get flabbergasted when i try looking up torque converters

do i need a flexplate or the converter with the ring on it or..... i have yet to figure this out and i need some smart fabo help :newb: :read:

The 318 uses an internally balanced torque converter with no weights. The 360 is externally balanced with weights. I can tell you from experience that if you use the wrong converter you will have a serious vibration / shake. Use this opportunity to buy a nice stall converter that is externally weighted.

I would do the opposite. I would either use your converter or "buy a nice" neutral balance, and then buy the proper aftermarket weighted flex plate from someone like BM This should still be an LA, not a Magnum, so make sure you get the correct one.

This is because if you ever decide to put a neutral balance engine back in, all you'll have to do is change to a stock flex, and it allows a lot more latitude on converters, say, if you were to run across a good one. Even if you find a weighted one, it's easy to knock the weights off

-
Back