Edelbrock 4-barrel carburetor EDL-1826

-

ConValiant64

Reaction score
Anybody have any experiences (positive or negative) to share about running an Edelbrock 4-barrel carburetor on their Mopar? I was looking at Holleys, but was intrigued by the Carter-like appearance and simplicity of the Edelbrock Thunder series. Thanks.

Anybody have any experiences (positive or negative) to share about running an Edelbrock 4-barrel carburetor on their Mopar? I was looking at Holleys, but was intrigued by the Carter-like appearance and simplicity of the Edelbrock Thunder series. Thanks.

They run fine, but you will likely be dealing with heatsoak issue's like most every other Edelbrock owner does.
I would say Holley's are generally faster a WOT.

The Ede Thunder series are great carbs.
I have the 650 on my 360. Set it and forget it.
Edelbrock also has a heat insulator gasket that works well for heat soak. The 1826 is for off-road, so unless you are off roading, I would not recommend that part number. Go for the 1805 650 manual choke model. Great carb for a 340 or 360.

The heat soak issue is a real problem for those that do t understand how things were stock. Or what common problems can cause a heat issue, no matter the fuel delivery device.

OE crab to intake gasket was THICK! Not the thin paper crap you get in the kit. Order up the thick gasket from the start.

Then make sure your timing is good, your not running to rich or lean and strat tunnng it. You will be OK.

The heat soak issue is a real problem for those that do t understand how things were stock. Or what common problems can cause a heat issue, no matter the fuel delivery device.

OE crab to intake gasket was THICK! Not the thin paper crap you get in the kit. Order up the thick gasket from the start.

Then make sure your timing is good, your not running to rich or lean and strat tunnng it. You will be OK.
Thanks all!

It's not a Mopar, but I drive one on my 75 F250 Every single day. No heat soak, because I fixed it. Hands down the best running street carburetor I have ever had. Bought it from a member here. He said it had been sitting up a long time and needed a kit. When it came, it was so clean I stuck it on and it's never been off. No kit, no nuthin. I did adjust the air screws and I have gone up a few steps with the metering rods and changed the springs because it was a little lean. 75 F250, 351M , T18 4 speed, Dana 60 3.73 gears and it's getting between 15-18 MPG if I keep the speed at 55 or less and keep my foot out of it. By stark contrast, it'll broil the hides all the way across the parkin lot........in 2nd gear.

I run a 800 on my 440 no issues and no power valve to leak. I have used them for years so I know my way around them and a strip kit is your best friend if it is a modified engine.

Eddy's are my choice hands down for a street car.... In fact I am finishing a powerplant for a 62 ford and the 1406 is going on it (I bought it new in mid 2000's and have never opened it up.) I have no doubt it will run like a top.

If we run into a heat soak issue I run a return line to the tank. It's a small trade off for the problem if it even becomes one. RRR is spot on about them. They do everything right IMO for a solid driver.

JW

Eddy's are my choice hands down for a street car.... In fact I am finishing a powerplant for a 62 ford and the 1406 is going on it (I bought it new in mid 2000's and have never opened it up.) I have no doubt it will run like a top.

If we run into a heat soak issue I run a return line to the tank. It's a small trade off for the problem if it even becomes one. RRR is spot on about them. They do everything right IMO for a solid driver.

JW
I appreciate the reviews. Sounds like a good carb across the board.

Exactly...

I like to run this 5/16" gasket on my square bore carb/intakes:

Edelbrock Heat Insulator Gasket

And with stock manifolds that the heat riser is in the open position.

-
Back