Edelbrock Carb-Electric vs. Manual Choke

-

ConValiant64

Reaction score
I appreciate the advice received on Edelbrock carburetors, but now have another question: For a street application, what are the pros/cons to going with an electric vs manual choke? FYI-My prior carburetor didn't even have a choke, so I'm pretty flexible on this issue. I like the idea of hooking up two wires and never having to deal with the choke again, but am certainly open to the idea of snaking a Holley (or whatever) choke cable through the firewall if there is an advantage (ie more reliable, etc). I'd appreciate your thoughts/opinions. Thanks again.

There is a zero performance gain in a manual choke carb vs an electric choke carb. Once the engine is at operating temp, the chokes should be wide open.

If you don’t mind the cable running through the fire wall, that’s fine for you. I wouldn’t drill a hole for it though. Thats me.

Most people forget to open the choke after it's warmed up and drive around all day with it like that.

Do you want to run a cable or a Wire? I would rather run a wire. Do you want to manipulate a cable or have the wire operate Automatically? It seems to be an easy choice.

There is a zero performance gain in a manual choke carb vs an electric choke carb. Once the engine is at operating temp, the chokes should be wide open.

If you don’t mind the cable running through the fire wall, that’s fine for you. I wouldn’t drill a hole for it though. Thats me.

Here's your answer OP...... Electric chokes are simple in design. Now if you want to roll coal in your A Body at a stop light and act like John Force with an adjustable race idle, manual is the way to go lol.....

Good Voltage/ Amperage to your choke and it will pretty much be a set it and forget it deal.....

JW

I like electric but you have to get it adjusted right when you first install it. Set the tension so it opens as soon as possible and still run ok. Same goes for your fast idle.
Im thinking about wiring an AC solenoid on a toggle switch so I can bump the idle with a toggle switch on those real cold days.

If you really like manual, get a Model T. You can adjust spark advance, turn gas on and off,etc. Haha. lol.

I like electric but you have to get it adjusted right when you first install it. Set the tension so it opens as soon as possible and still run ok. Same goes for your fast idle.
Im thinking about wiring an AC solenoid on a toggle switch so I can bump the idle with a toggle switch on those real cold days.
Set the choke hash Mark to 2 lines going forwards and 1 more for really cold areas.

I never would like a constant voltage draw in a device for the entire trip for something that only gets used 2-3 minutes after startup.
Where are the manifold heated chokes gone these days?

(I don't use a choke on my setup because I use LPG which idles fine at pretty much any outside temp.)

I never would like a constant voltage draw in a device for the entire trip for something that only gets used 2-3 minutes after startup.
Where are the manifold heated chokes gone these days?

(I don't use a choke on my setup because I use LPG which idles fine at pretty much any outside temp.)

Agreed-would rather have a manifold-activated choke. BTW-Like an ignition coil, the draw only occurs when the key is turned.

-
Back