Edelbrock Head Rockers?

-

northeastmopar

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
OK, I received my edelbrock heads. I ordered them for a 340 and they are the open chamber heads. I also ordered Comp Cam ultra pro roller rockers which include the shaft. It was mentioned in an earlier post that I should have got the closed chamber heads instead. I was looking at an article in the March 2013 Mopar Muscle mag regarding cylinder heads. It states that the Magnum version (closed chamber) retrofits the rocker arrangement from the stock pedestal mount to a small-block Chevy stud mounted arrangement, for a vittually unlimited selection in aftermarker rockers??? So if I do get the Closed Chamber heads, am I to assume I will have to send the shaft mounted roller rockers back also? Maybe I should just run the open chamber heads? Will there really be that much of a difference?

Run what ya got IMO.

The closed chambered heads that were mentioned to you are the other "LA" heads and not the Magnims. And yes, if you go with the Magnims, you'll need to send the rockers back.

The other Edelbrock heads have a few less cc's because there is no machined area for the 340 pistons that come up above the deck height. If your 340 pistons come up out of the block, then you have the correct heads.

If they do not come up out of the block, then You can used the slightly less cc head.

My only problem is the stroker I am building is going to use the ICON forged 21cc dished pistons? I do not believe they come out above the deck? If I use the open chamber heads with these pistons, will that mess up the CR?

My only problem is the stroker I am building is going to use the ICON forged 21cc dished pistons? I do not believe they come out above the deck? If I use the open chamber heads with these pistons, will that mess up the CR?

I ran some quick numbers on this.......

4.07 B
4.00 S
65.0 cc's ........ Eddy 340 head
21.0 cc dish
.000 deck ht.
.039 hd gasket
4.18 gskt dia.

Came out right at 10.0 to 1.

OK, I received my edelbrock heads. I ordered them for a 340 and they are the open chamber heads. I also ordered Comp Cam ultra pro roller rockers which include the shaft. It was mentioned in an earlier post that I should have got the closed chamber heads instead. I was looking at an article in the March 2013 Mopar Muscle mag regarding cylinder heads. It states that the Magnum version (closed chamber) retrofits the rocker arrangement from the stock pedestal mount to a small-block Chevy stud mounted arrangement, for a vittually unlimited selection in aftermarker rockers??? So if I do get the Closed Chamber heads, am I to assume I will have to send the shaft mounted roller rockers back also? Maybe I should just run the open chamber heads? Will there really be that much of a difference?

The advice given on your other thread was sound. You want the closed chamber LA heads. They are NOT the Magnum heads you refer to above. They're a different animal. Its just that they have a closed chamber too...

I thought you already decided to send the closed chamber back and get the 60779 heads in the other thread? The 60779 run the shaft mount rockers like you already have. You don't want those open chamber heads cause you won't have any quench.

I thought you already decided to send the closed chamber back and get the 60779 heads in the other thread? The 60779 run the shaft mount rockers like you already have. You don't want those open chamber heads cause you won't have any quench.

I think he just got confused, thinking that the closed chamber LAs needed SBC rockers.

there are 3 eddy heads for small mopars..

2 are for the LA engine..one had open chamber and one has close chambers...both take shaft rockers..

1 for the magnum version of the 360...it used the small block cheby rockers...

60779 is close chambers with shaft rockers....

Hey thanks guys. I just missed the third set of heads which are the magnums. O feel a little dumb here. I get it. I shipped the open chambers back and they are sending me the closed chambers and I now understand that I can use the shaft stlye Comp Cam roller rockers that I bought. Sorry for the confusion. It was all me. Thanks for all the help here.

Oh one last thing. The rockers I bought have no hardware/bolts to fasten them to the head posts, not do I see any shims. Just a box of spacers to go between the rockers. Where should I look to get these? Will the stock Mopar ones fit? Or should I be looking at something else?

So who makes the best hold down then (I wanna upgrade over the stock ones)

No thoughts on which is the best?

as long as they hold the rocker shaft in place...how would you define which one is the best...the stock one work...hughes work...MP work...the ones I link to work...

Well either would be better then stock (more coverage area then stock). Anybody have a set break on them?

nope, had the hughes 1.5 rockers on my 318 with the hughes billet steel hold downs on the street for almost a year... zero problems. :)

2uihvf7.jpg

Well either would be better then stock (more coverage area then stock). Anybody have a set break on them?

never had a stock one break...never had a hughes one break..never had a MP one break...never had the billet one break...

all have gone up and down the drag strip for years...

take your pick and pay your money...

Okay I get what you guys are saying, just one last question. Do your aluminum heads show any signs of with the steel hold downs vs the aluminum hold downs (two different metals vs the same type of metals).

Okay I get what you guys are saying, just one last question. Do your aluminum heads show any signs of with the steel hold downs vs the aluminum hold downs (two different metals vs the same type of metals).

the hold downs do not contact the head...they rest or ride on the shaft...

is that your question?

the hold downs do not contact the head...they rest or ride on the shaft...

is that your question?

Yep. As soon as you posted that I realized I was thinking of a different part. Thanks for clearing that up.

what they said.

its what i use...

Agree. I am in the process of putting a set of those Hughes hold downs on my motor. Also has Hughes rockers. Rockers cam with 0.015 and 0.030 thick shims to locate the rockers on the shaft and set side play. I think it was the rocker set that came with the pedestal/shaft shims but they may have come with the rockers. You need those to get the geometry right. Then you can get the right pushrods made.

-
Back