Edelbrock SP2P for 440?

-

1968 Valiant

Reaction score
I have the oportunity to buy a used one for 80 bucks. Is this worth the effort/Money.
I am installing a bone stock 78 440 with 452 heads in my Valiant. My goal is to get it moving and finished before any upgrades. But I am not opposed to changing this out since the motor is still out.

Advice???

Also (since I am considering it) anyone got a used cam in usable shape that would add a little bite to a stock smogger they are willing to part with. The car is 100 percent a street driver...?

I have the oportunity to buy a used one for 80 bucks. Is this worth the effort/Money.
I am installing a bone stock 78 440 with 452 heads in my Valiant. My goal is to get it moving and finished before any upgrades. But I am not opposed to changing this out since the motor is still out

Advice???.

Go for it. It isn't a performance manifold by any stretch, but it will certainly get you going til you can get something else.

Also (since I am considering it) anyone got a used cam in usable shape that would add a little bite to a stock smogger they are willing to part with. The car is 100 percent a street driver...?

I don't have one, but stay away from any cam with lots of overlap as it will kill what little bottom end you have now. Also, if you get used lifters w/ the cam, make sure they go back on the same lobe they came off. Otherwise, buy a new set of lifters.

Good luck.

$80 will get you a good used performance intake for your 440.. SP2P is nothing but a small port SMOG intake (if it's the one I'm thinking about)... I'd rather have a stock 2 or 4 barrel intake then a SP2P, just my openion...

the sp2p is a low rpm manifold with very,very small runners.id run a performer,a stocker 4bbl,or even a streetmaster before the sp2p.

Edelbrock Community Forum > Non EFI Forums > General > SP2-P2-O intake manifold questions??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PDAView Full Version : SP2-P2-O intake manifold questions??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dan7612-16-2009, 12:53 PM
I've found the above manifold on CL. Its in great shape, hardly used with no corrosion visible in the water passages. However I can't find any data on this intake on the Edelbrock web site, though I know it fits a big block Chevy (currently on a 396 block.

Anyone out there know the specs for this intake?

J.Wagner12-21-2009, 08:42 AM
That manifold is from the 70's gas crunch era. It was designed to fit a completely stock oval port Big Block and was targeted for fuel economy. Not a real good manifold for a performance engine combination.

vBulletin® v3.8.5, Copyright ©2000-2010, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Since all 440's already have a 4bbl. standard, you won't see any gain with an Edelbrock Sp2 intake..:read2: Other than weight reduction...

I'm gonna be the lone defender of the SP2P. When that manifold was first produced, gas in this country was in a "shortage". There were lines of cars over a mile long at some stations. I remember that, maybe some of yall are too young to. I was just a youngun and had a job as a service station attendant at one of Macon's few remaining full service stations at the time. Factoring in the cost of living, inflation and the economy, gasoline back then was way more expensive than it is now. Stations were running out of fuel left and right. That manifold was produced for one purpose. To conserve fuel. For the application that it was sold, it did it's job. In the wrong application, it completely sucks.

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I just picked one of these up off of craigslist. I currently have the stock 2bbl set up on my 318. Is it worth swapping in the sp2 over the stock 2bbl, or is it a complete waste of time?

I think you will be ok as said in a few above posts. Use a small AFB or Holley if you like.
Anything (four barrel speaking) will be better than a wimpy two barrel.Also the smaller runner ports will match up to the 318 two barrel heads.

I'm gonna be the lone defender of the SP2P. When that manifold was first produced, gas in this country was in a "shortage". There were lines of cars over a mile long at some stations. I remember that, maybe some of yall are too young to. I was just a youngun and had a job as a service station attendant at one of Macon's few remaining full service stations at the time. Factoring in the cost of living, inflation and the economy, gasoline back then was way more expensive than it is now. Stations were running out of fuel left and right. That manifold was produced for one purpose. To conserve fuel. For the application that it was sold, it did it's job. In the wrong application, it completely sucks.

You aren't alone...See post #10....

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I just picked one of these up off of craigslist. I currently have the stock 2bbl set up on my 318. Is it worth swapping in the sp2 over the stock 2bbl, or is it a complete waste of time?

See post #10....

65Val wrote.....I had one on a bone stock '67-273 using a Carter 500 SuperQuad in a Dart back in the 80's. Sure was better than the stock 2 barrel...by a country mile!

I'm gonna be the lone defender of the SP2P.

No, yer not; I count a couple others and I'm joining in, too. An SP2P intake on my 318 D100 in place of the factory cast iron intake did exactly what Edelbrock claimed it would do: noticeably improved fuel economy and driveability. What did it do to high-RPM power? Don't know, don't care; it was a low-RPM motor. If you are running a high-RPM motor, then the SP2P is not a good choice. Use the right tool for the job at hand, is the point being missed by these guys saying "Don't get a SP2P it is teh sux0r OMG ROFL".

No, yer not; I count a couple others and I'm joining in, too. An SP2P intake on my 318 D100 in place of the factory cast iron intake did exactly what Edelbrock claimed it would do: noticeably improved fuel economy and driveability. What did it do to high-RPM power? Don't know, don't care; it was a low-RPM motor. If you are running a high-RPM motor, then the SP2P is not a good choice. Use the right tool for the job at hand, is the point being missed by these guys saying "Don't get a SP2P it is teh sux0r OMG ROFL".

Exactly. It is a good intake for it's intended use. Key words being "intended use".

-
Back