Edelbrock Thunder 650 AVS

-
You quoted me without a reply below the quote. What's up?

I don't know why that does that. Maybe he used "quote" instead of "reply".
Clicking reply automatically produces quote tags.
Clicking on "+QUOTE" requires an extra button to get the post in the reply as "Insert quotes."

Dang evil mouse cursor!!!!!

Carter/Edelbrock carbs.

Allways underestimated
Rock solid, long lasting performance.

How some people get frustrated with this simple mixed is beyond me.
It's a question of Performer/AFB vs Thunder/AVS, Performer is hit or miss, & I've been involved with a few for customers that were either never right or a major PITA to get
right.....one guy tried one too many stabs at it & took a hammer too it,LOL!!! The Thunder seems to be more hit than miss by far, and no flopping counterweights vs the
adjustable spring tension....................that being said, the 462 camel-back Chebby heads I did got a Eddy street TR w/a pair of 500 dual Performers, and worked great
(even tho the accel pumps started letting fuel shoot up thru the covers and onto the windshield!....where's that water comin' from...is it raining?... what the?....)

They come with a 3/8 barb fitting. I spent $20 for the 3/8 chrome line that runs down the side of carb and has the 1/8" hole for fuel pressure gauge or it comes with a if. Fits great and don't leak
At least on my 800 Thunder, it is set up for dual feed.

I've got one on my 340, and yes it is a great carb, but soon I'll be going fuel injection and the AVS will replace the AFB on the wifey's 400.

Jeff

Mr. Dartish, I just got an AVS2 650, and I'am going to put it on my 413. Question, what did you do with the adapter plate? I'am putting mine on a performer RPM intake too. I got a used one, so I don't know if it came with the adapter or not.

I had the same experience with holley based carbs- had to adjust somewhere between every third day or every time I the drove the car.

I now have several Carter/Edelbrocks and they all ran either as I bought them, including most from swap meets, or after a good cleaning and one idle adjust.

Mr. Dartish, I just got an AVS2 650, and I'am going to put it on my 413. Question, what did you do with the adapter plate? I'am putting mine on a performer RPM intake too. I got a used one, so I don't know if it came with the adapter or not.
Are you talking about the throttle linkage adapter? As far as an adalada plate under the carb, I didn't use one. Just used the Edelbrock baseplate gasket/heat insulator

I just put the Thunder AVS-2 650 on my 68 340 GTS. I'm running the 4 hole spacer on a Performer RPM intake. I can't believe how much smoother the car runs. I took it out of the box put it on set the idle then the fuel air screws then the choke. This carb works perfect. I can actually work in the garage with the car running and not have it burn my eyes. The 650 replaced a eddy 750 that I could never lean it out far enough to get it to run right, always had a very rough idle and very rich when idling. To much snow on the ground yet to take it out on the road to see how she will run.

All I can say is Wow!!! Started with Factory qjet, then Eddy 1406, then a Quick Fuel Slayer 600. The QFT seemed to run good but needed constant adjustments. Just installed a 650 thunder AVS tonight. Idles unbelievably smooth, hit the throttle and instant tire spin, and pulls like a rocket to 5500rpm on my mild 360 in a 5500lb 4we. Very impressive carb in case anyone is considering one.So far only adusted idle mixture and speed. I'm sold on this one!!!!

View attachment 1715092036

WOW That's a Beauty!!!!

Can you please give more information on the 3/8 chrome line that runs down the side of carb and the fuel pressure gauge??? Part no possibly??

Thanks

WOW That's a Beauty!!!!

Can you please give more information on the 3/8 chrome line that runs down the side of carb and the fuel pressure gauge??? Part no possibly??

Thanks
Chrome line is a Edelbrock 8126, you can get a fuel gauge anywhere or this one Edelbrock/Russel 650350

-
Back