Elderbrock air gap intake question

-

downsr

Reaction score
Can you use the rear water ports on an air gap manifold for temp sensor or sensor to turn fan on.Anyone use these ports.

You have ports in the back near the firewall? Mine only has a couple in the front. If you do, you are going to want to use the ports in the front, that is the most accurate spot for temp as the thermostat is in the same area. Although if you are using it for an adjustable temp sensor for a fan, through trial and error you could get it set at the temp you want it to come on and shut off.

I would think the rear ports would always read a few degrees cooler. Water enters the block and returns through the heads so... Someone has posted on this before but I can't remember the result.

Yea, while it's possible, it seems like the water would be a little stagnant there. You want a steady flow to provide a more accurate temperature in the system.

It needs to be in manifold by t stat or in rad by inlet. You could use port in cylinder head if you had a chebby:protest:

The rear water ports, if anything, should have water removed from there.
What is the issue with the sender? BIG in size?

Dumb question: WHAT rear water ports? Is this an Edelbrock 7576 Air Gap?

As said, the complete water flow is through the block front to back, then up through the heads, back to front. The front area is the best representative of overall engine temp; I would expect the water temp at the back to be considerably lower, especially if you are hammering on the engine and putting a lot of heat into the heads all of a sudden.

LOL, ether of mine, "LA" and Magnum versions do not have rear water ports ether. But I wasn't going to quibble on the exact intake or what Mod's may have been done to it. I just addressed the problem some.

Its an air gap and it does not have rear water outlets.I just looked at it. Thought it would be the same as the one on my coupe that has a chevy engine in it.My mistake i should have looked at it first .Thanks for your input

I would add to the question: does adding the rear port by-pass (so from one side to the other) improve the water flow in the SB Mopar engine?

Just a pure SWAG: Since the standard water flow direction in the heads is back-to-front, it would not seem intuitive that it would do so; I would think it would only change the balance of flow between the heads. If one head's combustion chambers got a bit hotter and raised the local pressure in that head, it might even divert more flow to the cooler head....

A small block mopar doesn't have water running through the rear of the intake. At least that's what I always thought. The head gaskets are designed to block th rear passage and force it to cross in the front, where the T Stat is. AM I wrong in this?

I can't think of any v8 ( Chry, GM, Ford) that has water at the back of the intake. And of course, BBM doesn't have water in the intake at all.

A small block mopar doesn't have water running through the rear of the intake. At least that's what I always thought. The head gaskets are designed to block th rear passage and force it to cross in the front, where the T Stat is. AM I wrong in this?
Partialy wrong. The intake is so designed to force the water from rear to front, not the gasket.
but you have the idea.

Just a pure SWAG: Since the standard water flow direction in the heads is back-to-front, it would not seem intuitive that it would do so; I would think it would only change the balance of flow between the heads. If one head's combustion chambers got a bit hotter and raised the local pressure in that head, it might even divert more flow to the cooler head....
Please define "SWAG" for me.
The way heat works is, it goes where it isn't.
The best way to cool a set of small block heads down is to take water form the center out of the head. (Because there are 2 exhaust ports next to each other. Hence, a hotter area.) While not allways possible, the next best is to take it from the rear of the head.
This system seems to work very well for the racers and there high powered engines.

I would add to the question: does adding the rear port by-pass (so from one side to the other) improve the water flow in the SB Mopar engine?
No, one side to the other is not how it is done. You would tap both sides of the intake and run the water hoses to the front of the engine in a modified thermostat housing.

here is an example of a thermostat adapter that can hold 4 extra water hoses. That would be left and right side heads, middle and rear of each head.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/joe-36025

Here is a simple front to rear water neck adapter and it is plumbed for you to see.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/krs-krc15375000/overview/

-
Back