Electrical vs. Mechanical Gauges

-

GoFish

Have impressive member
Reaction score
I'm ready to buy my gauges, and have decided on the Auto Meter ES gauges. I'd like to know what are the plusses and minuses on electrical vs. mechanical gauges. Obviously, the mechanical gauges are a lot cheaper. so what are the benefits of electrical that makes them so much more expensive?

I really don't believe there are any plus or minus to either one. I think it depends on what you are trying to achieve, room, conditions. I've had both and the mechanical would seem like it would take a beating much easier than electrical. Let's say a dune buggy or mud bog truck. Water and electricity don't go well together. A mechanical temperature gauge has a copper wire that connects to the manifold with a fitting. It shows temperature with the ignition off or on while electrical you have to turn on the switch. The copper wire wrapped in a stainless coil is always shoved up under the dash but can be tucked out of sight. Same with the mechanical oil pressure gauge with a copper tube,,,electrical uses a wire of course. The mechanical speedo has a cable and the electrical has a speed sensor again,,, wires. Volts are basically the same in both forms. You probably knew 98% but maybe I shed some light on your question.

Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah, it's an old question and I don't think there is a definitive right or wrong answer. I was literally on the Summit website picking out my gauges, and the price difference was substantial. That's why I figured I'd raise the question one more time before spending all my hard-earned loot!

Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah, it's an old question and I don't think there is a definitive right or wrong answer. I was literally on the Summit website picking out my gauges, and the price difference was substantial. That's why I figured I'd raise the question one more time before spending all my hard-earned loot!

I bought the Auto Meter MCX 5" gauges. They are electrical, I had to calibrate the speedo, and have to work something out with my gas tank sending unit. It's not the correct OHMS so.... but everything works fine.

Mechanical gauges typically have more sweep making them easier to read but the connections are harder to route.

Electrical gauges have less sweep but the sensor wiring is far easier to deal with.

I have an Auto-Meter Speedo and all I had to do was measure out a two mile route through the nieghborhood with my daily driver, hit the button on my speedo, take the exact same route (no burnouts lol) and hit the button again. Presto, calibrated! If I change tires or gearing I just need to repeat the process and no worries about changing out gears in the tailshaft.

Nice choice on the ES series. That's what'll be going in the Duster. I'm using the "Streetrod Designer" series in the Ramcharger.

Mechanical gauges typically have more sweep making them easier to read but the connections are harder to route.

Electrical gauges have less sweep but the sensor wiring is far easier to deal with.

I have an Auto-Meter Speedo and all I had to do was measure out a two mile route through the nieghborhood with my daily driver, hit the button on my speedo, take the exact same route (no burnouts lol) and hit the button again. Presto, calibrated! If I change tires or gearing I just need to repeat the process and no worries about changing out gears in the tailshaft.

Nice choice on the ES series. That's what'll be going in the Duster. I'm using the "Streetrod Designer" series in the Ramcharger.

Good points there Joe!

It took two tries with my speedo to calibrate it. I messed up somewhere the first time.

Post pics of the guages ! :D

DSC01877.jpg

DSC01984.jpg

One big plus for a electric gauge is there is no oil line to burst. I saw a pic of a freshly restored 70 Hemi Cuda that burned to the ground 20 miles later because he put in aftermarket mechanical gauges and even though he used a copper line it had a defect in it and spewed hot oil on the headers and caught on fire. Not pretty needless to say.

It's probably just me but I like the mechanical oil press. and water temp. guages cuss I trust them over the electrical. JMO

Terry

I just bought a rally dash like that for my duster...I need to re-do it.... those gauges look awesome in it!!!!!!

Thanks. It took some trimming to get them to fit the Rallye dash. Had to be patience and take out a little at a time. I used a Dremel tool with a sanding disk. Just thought I mention that because it made it easier on me.

I just ordered Autometer Pro Comp tach, mechanical speedo and vacuum/boost gauge.
The electric speedo was way to much money considering I had to also purchase a $70 pick up to mount on the tail section.
So in stead of the $90 for the speedo it would have been closter to $330 for an electric version.

I just ordered Autometer Pro Comp tach, mechanical speedo and vacuum/boost gauge.
The electric speedo was way to much money considering I had to also purchase a $70 pick up to mount on the tail section.
So in stead of the $90 for the speedo it would have been closter to $330 for an electric version.

That's what irritated me. Summit usually has everything that is listed for the item you are buying or looking to purchase. I didn't see that the speedo sensor came with my Auto Meter MCX gauges so I added it to the list. I found out upon delivery that the gauge comes with a speed sensor. That might be the same case as the Pro Comp electric speedo you was looking to purchase. I even went to Auto Meter site and it didn't indicate that the sensor came with the gauge, but it did have a section "recommended parts". I should have called Summit to make sure... it's my fault. But you would think that they would have things like that cleared up so there wouldn't be any confusion. I shipped the sensor back and got a refund. :angry7:

I hate when that happens, ordering extra parts when there included. Mad mad mad mad.

I understand that you have already picked out what you like but I thought I'd throw this out there.
I bought some guages for my Neon from a company called Glowshift. I was a little skeptical because I had never heard of them but I gave them a shot and they are great. Form and function are really top notch.
Take a look, ya might like em and I'm pretty sure if you call them and talk to them about exactly which ones you are interested in, they will cut you a package deal. I really like them and plan to do a complete custom install on my turbo 318 69 swinger project.

Here's the link: http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/Gauge-Series.aspx

That's what irritated me. Summit usually has everything that is listed for the item you are buying or looking to purchase. I didn't see that the speedo sensor came with my Auto Meter MCX gauges so I added it to the list. I found out upon delivery that the gauge comes with a speed sensor. That might be the same case as the Pro Comp electric speedo you was looking to purchase. I even went to Auto Meter site and it didn't indicate that the sensor came with the gauge, but it did have a section "recommended parts". I should have called Summit to make sure... it's my fault. But you would think that they would have things like that cleared up so there wouldn't be any confusion. I shipped the sensor back and got a refund. :angry7:

Good information to know.
That would have irritated me slightly if I had done the same because they didn't described included items.

I understand that you have already picked out what you like but I thought I'd throw this out there.
I bought some guages for my Neon from a company called Glowshift. I was a little skeptical because I had never heard of them but I gave them a shot and they are great. Form and function are really top notch.
Take a look, ya might like em and I'm pretty sure if you call them and talk to them about exactly which ones you are interested in, they will cut you a package deal. I really like them and plan to do a complete custom install on my turbo 318 69 swinger project.

Here's the link: http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/Gauge-Series.aspx

I came across those gauges in my initial research on gauges, but I was concerned that they are not exactly a household name. They also don't seem to make a speedo or fuel level gauge. Glad to hear that you had success with them, but in the end, I was too chicken to go with anything but Auto Meter.

I just received the majority of my ES gauges: Speedo, Tach, Water Temp (all full sweep) and oil pressure and voltmeter (short sweep). I still need to pick up the fuel level gauge, and since I'm running a turbo, I need a pyrometer and a boost gauge. I'll add a pic when I have everything installed in my Redline Gauges gauge pod.

I came across those gauges in my initial research on gauges, but I was concerned that they are not exactly a household name. They also don't seem to make a speedo or fuel level gauge. Glad to hear that you had success with them, but in the end, I was too chicken to go with anything but Auto Meter.

I just received the majority of my ES gauges: Speedo, Tach, Water Temp (all full sweep) and oil pressure and voltmeter (short sweep). I still need to pick up the fuel level gauge, and since I'm running a turbo, I need a pyrometer and a boost gauge. I'll add a pic when I have everything installed in my Redline Gauges gauge pod.

I just sent them a message to find out why they don't list a speedo and fuel level gauge. They have everything else. I may still use them for everything but the speedo and fuel level, if they are not available. We'll see.
We need to talk about our projects. I'm doing a twin turbo 318 build. Still in the planning stages.:snakeman:

I like to know real time for my oil pressure and Water/Coolant Temp. But thats just me. Also a Mechanical Speedo is what all out cars use I think.

One big plus for a electric gauge is there is no oil line to burst. I saw a pic of a freshly restored 70 Hemi Cuda that burned to the ground 20 miles later because he put in aftermarket mechanical gauges and even though he used a copper line it had a defect in it and spewed hot oil on the headers and caught on fire. Not pretty needless to say.

That's awful. :angry7:

One note I'd like to add: "even though he used a copper line?" Copper line cracks way too easily, especially if he didn't use a few lengths of rubber to protect it from engine vibration.

I like mechanical for oil/water myself.....plus Auto Meter sells a steel braided line in either -3 or -4 an sizes for the oil pressure line. I will ONLY use these on customers cars. The copper is too difficult to bend without kinks/breaks and the plastic is just not reliable.

I will only use mechanical oil pressure gauges. Try one of each. Let the engine idle, then give it a couple blips of the throttle and watch how fast the mech gauge responds vs. electrical.

Thanks for the plumbing tip, redfastback. A braided line would give me peace of mind. I'll go that route if possible.

I can go either way with water temp, though.

Mark

-
Back