Engine and tranny help for novice pure stock racing

-

wam9797

Reaction score
I am running a 73 plymouth duster on a dirt circle track. I am looking for some tips to get more power out of my 318 and tf 727. The rules say only oem replacement parts BUT we can runn any cam that has no more than .480 lift. Any suggestions on a good cam that wont destroy the rest of the motor? The tranny must remain stock but is there some tricks to make it work a little more efficiently in a circle track situation. It currently tries to shift up to quickly on the back stretch and I end up falling back. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I take it you cannot run a manual valve body? Look into adjusting the kick down linkage, which in part controls the shifts. You may also have some problem in the trans as well

Can you run a hyd roller block? Think of a 250+ at .050 cam with .480 lift...

Can the 727 and install a 904 in it. Put a TF2 or TF3 Transgo kit in the transmission.

First, lose the 727. A 904 is lighter and takes a lot less power to drive. In addition, the convertors are lighter too.
On the cam - If it has to be stock replacement, the lift rule doesnt matter. I would stick a set of Magnum heads on it to get the 1.6 ratio rockers, and run the '68 340 4sp cam.

Racer brown is a good source for cam, or at least it used to be. We used to have a pure stock class around here and the engine rule was stock appearing, you can do a lot of work to an engine and still appear stock. Sorry can't be of any more help. Length of track, banking? One recomendation is stock up on lower control arms, my brother raced a Duster in a bomber class, and bent I don't know how many control arms. This was on a 5/16 mile high bank track.

-
Back