Engine bay wire harness electrical connections.

-

1967Barracuda

Reaction score
I'm hooking up the engine bay wire harness on this 1976 Dodge Dart Sport. Any connections or electrical items that hook up to it from the parts store is what I'm looking for. What's needed to get this car to start.

Any input appreciated.

Thanks.
T.

20240116_153005.jpg

20240116_152951.jpg

20240116_150411.jpg

I'm hooking up the engine bay wire harness on this 1976 Dodge Dart Sport. Any connections or electrical items that hook up to it from the parts store is what I'm looking for. What's needed to get this car to start.

Any input appreciated.

Thanks.
T.

View attachment 1716193306

View attachment 1716193307

View attachment 1716193308
You need to be more specific. Your post is so general that we have no idea what you are looking at

Generally speaking, parts stores are gonna be LITTLE help. NAPA used to/ may still have, useable headlight/ flasher connectors, and the connector for the voltage regulator, as well as the 2 pin one for the distributor pickkup. Anything else is sorta Mopar proprietary. You CAN buy the TERMINALS in many of the Mopar original connectors, of which many are Packard. You must get the correct ones. The Mopar compatible ones have the edges curled over "Packard 56" and similar

See this and plug some of it into Google

There is some Mopar aftermarket wiring diagrams at MyMopar.com, but THERE ARE NO service manuals over there covering electrical newer than 73. 73 wiring is quite different than 74, 5, 0r 76. You need to hit the internet and find yourself a repop service manual, either on CD/DVD, or reprinted paper.

I was thinking that maybe someone could list all extra components that plug into the harness. I will hook up a starter relay then put a battery in place and see what happens.

20240116_162248.jpg

20240116_162233.jpg

20240116_162427.jpg

Factory manual is the best.
Also beware there was a service bulletin about substition of wire colors. Townsend or Bugman has posted that TSB.

As far the connections, don't know how familair you are with the basic components.
General 1976 wiring concept is here

if you have identification questions, do what Mako did here

and another '76 unique circuit arrangement

Most connectors fall into place. Most all only connect to one component. Example of "some confusion." The single wire that attaches to the brake warning lamp switch down on the brake prop valve. But it has a stud push on connector. Not very many of them in the car. The other single wire is for the washer pump. But it has a single flat spade/ flag connector. So you won't mix those two up.

One thing you can do for now is to go download the 73 manual at MyMopar. The wiring will not be quite correct, but on past the wiring diagrams, are charts of the connectors. These show the shape of the connector, and approximate location. Many of those will be the same on your car

Up front looks like 2 horn wires. Are the horns missing? 2 Blues I don't know maybe they tapped into light wiring or added some lights?
I'm out only because your in good hands with 67Dart273.

it shouldn't start with transmission in reverse

1976 Hazards are on their own feed. See the link I previously posted about them.

For other cicuits you can use the ammeter to see if current is flowing from the battery.

Starting sequence illustrated here.
Battery needs to be fully charged.

This shows the concept of how the relay works, but on a '76 the junction to the key switch is spliced into the battery wire.
How the starter relay works.

Last edited:
it shouldn't start with transmission in reverse

1976 Hazards are on their own feed. See the link I previously posted about them.
The reverse lights stay on in any gear selected. Just fooled with the gear selector and put it in neutral. Thanks a lot. Maybe this thing has a seat belt safety on it to prevent it from starting.

The reverse lights stay on in any gear selected. Just fooled with the gear selector and put it in neutral. Thanks a lot. Maybe this thing has a seat belt safety on it to prevent it from starting.
Highly unlikely on a '76.

On an automatic, reverse light switch and neutral safety switch are together. Whether its mechanically or electrically, the relay is not seeing the ground connection through the switch.

It may be a long circuit with an engine bay connector as was used in '73- 74 - you can do a search and see how that gets tracked down.

Beware of any wires touching ground in the main power circuits. If you melt or damage one of the fusible links, replacing will not be as easy as with the earlier models.

You did see this? right?

1705688874546.png

I grounded this yellow wire from the battery with a splice and when I turn the ignition key once it turns the starter on continously like you turned the ignition key twice. According to a video this yellow wire is the seat belt interlock.

Any input appreciated definitely a ground issue with the neutral safety or seat belt interlock

20240119_140238.jpg

-
Back