Flasher don’t turn off

-

tarhill

Reaction score
I have a 76 Plymouth duster. I’ve been going through every nut bolt on the car put a new board behind that cluster and I’ve been putting everything back together. The flashers came on and they just don’t turn off. I need help anybody out there can help me.

'76 wiring is different than all previous years.
'76 Hazzards was on its own circuit from the battery terminal.

However that line is always hot. So the issue is at switch or on the otehr side of the switch it is getting power.

A '76 wiring diagram will help.

1689296900177.png

1689297088821.png

1689297206372.png

So normal source of power is wire A3 to the #9 cavity in the fuse block, then wires D31 to the flasher unit and D32 to the switch.

With the hazard switch on, power is supposed to go from D32 to the front and rear lamps (Green and Tan wires)
At least that's my interpretation so far. Haz switch internally may allow the brake switch to override as it does on some other years.
1689298887599.png

This is brake lights. Pedal closes the switch on the pedal and current flows through the hazzard switch to the rear lights.
1689298267462.png

That circuit feed to the brake switch is always hot. But does not go through any flasher unit.

D2 ->18F is the power to the turn signal switch and that should be off with key off.

Last edited:
Feeds look like this.
haz gets its own circuit feed from the battery. I gues that was to insure power even if other wiring is damaged

1689301217104.png

When you say won't turn off do you mean the lever returns to center after a turn and they stay flashing or the lever does not return to center after a turn?

I have a 76 Plymouth duster. I’ve been going through every nut bolt on the car put a new board behind that cluster and I’ve been putting everything back together. The flashers came on and they just don’t turn off. I need help anybody out there can help me.
@slantsixdan

-
Back