Engine Conversion

-

72 Duster

Reaction score
I'm new to mopar so please bare with me. I just bought a 72 Duster that came with a stock 360 in it. But the car does not come with a motor or transmission. I was wondering if there would have to be any frame modifications besides changing the motor mounts would have to be done. Also were is the best place to buy parts for these cars?

72 Duster said:
I'm new to mopar so please bare with me. I just bought a 72 Duster that came with a stock 360 in it. But the car does not come with a motor or transmission. I was wondering if there would have to be any frame modifications besides changing the motor mounts would have to be done. Also were is the best place to buy parts for these cars?

Whats the first 7 letters/numbers of the VIN, Please.

What engine do you want to install?

Thanks, Lee. :)

i dont know the vin number at the moment, but i know it had a 360 in it before because the guy who had it before me took it out and sold it. I would like to put a 383 stroker or a 454 chevy in it.

Why Would you want to put a chevy engine in it?

You'll have to fabricate everthing from motor mounts to headers. :wack:

It's a MOPAR, stick with MOPAR! :thumblef:

If a 360 came out, a 360 will go back in. But, if you didnt get the mounts with the car, then you'll need to know which mounts you need. The VIN tells us what engine it came with and what year originally, which may shed light on the mount question. I'm asuming you mean a small block chevy 383 or big block 454. It might fit, but you will need to come up with headers for both, and Chevies dont use torsion bars..so good luck with that. Also, the trans mounts isnt close, anf the tailshafts of a GM trans will not go thru the trans crossmember well. I have no clue about shifters or speedos either. IMO, a 360 Mopar back in it will outrun most big and small block GMs you meet. And, it takes less $$ than you might think, certainly less effort.

To drop in a Chevy engine into a MoPar engine bay is going to need alot of work and cutting. Like Moper said, our cars use T-bars and Chevys do not make headers for that type of design.
The only parts more expensive are intakes, heads and to a small degree, pistons. Some of our headers are cheap while others are outrageous.
Theres easy to do kits to drop in a big block or small block into most any car in the MoPar line up and our small blocks are very close in price when it comes to stroker kits. You can stroke the 360 with a 4 inch cast crank to over 400+ cid very easy with a kit from Mancini racing (.com.) OR use a 400 or 440 to do a stroker big block. (400 to 451 or 500 cubes in a kit from mancini. 440 to 500)
It's actually easy to put a Mopar engine in anything, but not any engine into a Mopar because of the T-bars. It limits header room big time.

Mancini racing link to the small block stroker page. http://store.yahoo.com/chucker54/smblstroas.html

Hey, it's a 2 way street. If hes got the motor, and the skills...
A close friend had a 55 Chevy running a 440/727/Dana in it. Got tossed out of 2 Super Chevy shows with it, and had to replace the mopar driveline with a 283/T350/(get this) 8 3/4 to sell it. Same guy has put 350s in Mazda trucks, V8s in all kinds of stuff..kind of an "anything goes" guy. I wouldnt want to hobble a car like that, but its free country.

moper, I agree with the 2 way street and a free country, but I still think it's going to be a royal pain in the butt and wallet to make it fit.
However, if that is what floats his boat..............

moper said:
Hey, it's a 2 way street. If hes got the motor, and the skills...
A close friend had a 55 Chevy running a 440/727/Dana in it. Got tossed out of 2 Super Chevy shows with it, and had to replace the mopar driveline with a 283/T350/(get this) 8 3/4 to sell it. Same guy has put 350s in Mazda trucks, V8s in all kinds of stuff..kind of an "anything goes" guy. I wouldnt want to hobble a car like that, but its free country.
Free Country? Must not be any taxes in CT

i would say do it whatever way makes you happy but it will be alot easier and cheaper to put a mopar in a mopar body and you may find that mopar has some advantages;)

72 Duster said:

The 360 was not stock for 1972 !

340mopar said:
Free Country? Must not be any taxes in CT

LOL, They just wacked my $338 for property taxes on a Hinda Civic I havent owned for 2 years. They have plebty of taxes in CT, just very slow at billing you for it.

-
Back