Engine died

-

1971Demon340

Mastodon Demon
Reaction score
The original 340 in my Demon died and decided to rebiuld it. It was bored .030 and put a stroker kit in it to make it a 416. A Lunati camshaft with 5 axis ported Indy Cylider Heads and valve covers. Here are some updated photographs, but I am worried about the gas line. The gas line seems too close to the valve covers and heads although I nver had vapor lock. Is there a better way to route the gas line so that it stays clear of boiling?
Thanks for the help,
Mark

DSC05246.jpg

DSC05244.jpg

demonengine1.jpg

The above was with the original valve covers that leaked and needed replaced with aftermarket ones.

340to316.jpg

The above was the original orange color was hot tubbed off and replaced with black as well as the ported heads.

Looks good,I ran mine to the regulator on the inner fender just in front of the shock tower then over to carb,this kept the line completely away from any heat,no issues so far.

I Will have to reroute the line. Was the original line a hose or stainless? I have the fuel filter behind the alternator which I just replaced it with the chrome one as the old one died last week. I have to replace the radiator hose and heater hoses with stainless and tidy up the wiring. After that, I will move onto the paint that is 30 years old as I was told it was repainted in the eighties (orange peel),
Thanks again,
Mark

That motor will be burning fuel so fast, it will not have time to heat up, ha ha.

Your fuel line looks ok, I would not move it unless you have a problem. I be more worry about the filter, think I see it.

Its very important how its routed in case of an impact-accident. If it gets hit/pushed, you don't want the filter to leak and spray gas everywhere.

Why Mopar placed it so close to the alt, I don't know. One of these days I am getting a nice electric fuel pump and routing my fuel line from the back of the motor--away from the front/impact zone.

That short air filter isn't going to help the stroker breathe

Do you have a vid on youtube of the engine running? I saw a clip that looks just like this, and it sounded badass. A double pumper carb would make you a lot happier...

I was close, but I was wrong....check this out!

sounds nice!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XLV3hTy3nY"]YouTube- Small Block Mopar[/ame]

Mark, I think you need to wrap the line with insulation, or just ditch the mech pump altogether and get an electric so you can route the line away from there.

With the electric pump you can put the regulator on the inner fender and route the line across from there keeping it up out of that high heat area. Sorry for my off topic posts BTW.

As much as I wanted to run a mech pump because it's easy, the benefit of the electric pump and reg is huge, especially with a return line. The fuel stays cool and you never have vapor lock again.

I never had vapor lock, so it must be alright in the location it is in now. I have a 10" and a 14" air filter that I need to put on as the little puny 6" was all Auto Zone had near my house. The fuel filter is hidden behind the alternator. POS Dakota, that is a cool video.

I do not race it so the higher cfm would not be needed. I might get the engine to 4,000 RPM range once in a while.

Not according to the engine builder and another friend of mine who claim it would not be noticeable unless the revs were in the 6000 RPM range or WOT. Plus, I do not have the extra money right now, but maybe in the next year I can change it out for a 800 Thunder series AVS,
Mark

-
Back