Engine Ideas?

-

Joey53

Reaction score
Just bought a 66 dart. Originally had a slant 6 which is gone. Want to do a small block 8, but which one? Not trying to build a rocket, but want some get up and go and convert to an automatic transmission Thanks in advance for the replies

The exhaust is going to dictate which engine you use. That's why I would use a 318 Magnum. It's bolts in and would be a fun engine in that 66.

Because you are converting from a slant 6, a 273 or a 318 is a good choice. Whatever is available for a reasonable price is what to look for. Look for a later model doner car? It may have other parts you may want like disc brakes and a tougher rear end.

360/5.9 Would be the first best choice and 318/5.2 Would be second. And if you trip over a good deal on a 340 nothing wrong with that either.

Even for a mild build it still best to start with a 360/5.9. The 300 hp create engine is a stock magnum long block with 4bbl and headers which dyno more like 320 hp add a mild cam and your at 360 hp. Or if you go mild cam and manifolds then your back at 320 hp. Even a LA wouldn't be too far behind especially if you add pistons (cr). Either way hard to screw up if you keep cam reasonable 215 to 225 intake or less.

You could do the same with a magnum 5.2 but will be slightly less street friendly (idle/stall/gears).

Last edited:
Just bought a 66 dart. Originally had a slant 6 which is gone. Want to do a small block 8, but which one? Not trying to build a rocket, but want some get up and go and convert to an automatic transmission Thanks in advance for the replies
A well built 340 in that 66 Dart would scoot! 65'

You are going to need to track down a V8 centerlink, exhaust manifolds and motor mounts and brackets for an early A-body. Is the car 3 on the tree or something? I would keep it manual shift if it were me. I warmed over 318 will make that car plenty fast enough for a cruiser.

You are going to need to track down a V8 centerlink, exhaust manifolds and motor mounts and brackets for an early A-body. Is the car 3 on the tree or something? I would keep it manual shift if it were me. I warmed over 318 will make that car plenty fast enough for a cruiser.

I'm going to an automatic not sure what yet, but a 318 is starting to sound like a good choice. Just have to decide on what transmission and rear end

Ether a 5.2-318 or a 5.9-360 is a fine choice. While the 318 is cheaper to get, a 360 offers more HP & Tq stock or otherwise. If this was my build and I didn't have an engine to start with, it would be a 5.9.
Add a small cam, (watch your lift with Magnum heads 1.6 rocker ratio)
headers (I think Dougs makes a header for you.)
and then a carbed intake (rpm)
and carb. (Edelbrock AVS660.)
Call it a day. It'll be great with good mileage.

For the rest, a 904 auto and a 8-1/4 with 3.21-3.55 gears and 26 inch tires. If you choose an O.D. Trans, you can up the gear ratio a little bit and the OD gear will drop the rear gear ratio.

Gear ratio X OD ratio = new feel ratio.
Example: 4.10 X .69 = 2.829 (or 2.83)

as much as i love the LA engine, there is something to be said for the 5.9 magnum, with roller rocker cam and less leaky 10 bolt valve covers

I do the magnum how rumblefish360 said or build a 360 to low cr 340 specs. Basically 4bbl 360 with 340 like cam with factory hi stall and 3.23 gears.

318 is fine, a stock long block with comp 262 cam 4bbl and headers is said to make 282 hp. But build a 360 to same specs and gain 20-30 hp plus 50 lbs-ft for same cost.

Never had a problem with "Leaky 5 bolt covers."

neither have i, and when properly torqued (read not OVER torqued) the 5 bolt covers on the LA work just fine
BUT i dont now what the OPs level of expertise is, so i figured better safe then sorry

My Dart Sport had a slant in it before but in there now resides a 360 from a Ramcharger 4X4, same cross member just got a Schumacher kit for the conversion. That power sure is nice to have. The 318 is likely easier but power wise and torque wise...not so great, except for the 318 magnum maybe.

My Dart Sport had a slant in it before but in there now resides a 360 from a Ramcharger 4X4, same cross member just got a Schumacher kit for the conversion. That power sure is nice to have. The 318 is likely easier but power wise and torque wise...not so great, except for the 318 magnum maybe.

A 318 with 9.0 compression, a nice cam, 340/360 heads, dual plane 4 bbl intake, and double roller cam.

The early a-body has a tighter engine compartment which makes the exhaust more difficult. There are headers that need to cut the fender wells to install - but I prefer not to cut the inner fender. headers that don't require inner fender mods can be tight and difficult fit - which may also have too much heat near the starter and cause it to burn out frequently. Or get a set of factory 64 - 66 a-body exhaust manifolds and run them with dual exhaust.

A 318 would be best to adapt with factory 273 parts from the 64 - 66 era. (exh manifolds, v-8 center link)

You can also run a 360 in there, but need the proper oil pan to work, even with the early a-body center link you need the pan with the proper notches to clear the steering components (pitman arm, center link, idler arm in their full range of motion)... You could run the stock 273 exh manifolds and port them a little for better flow)..

Ehhhh, IDK ago t that. Largely based on a Magnum being newer and more fit for duty than an older in-need of a rebuild 318 LA. IF the LA was rebuilt and brought back to a healthy state... it would stand toe to toe with a Magnum. IMO at least. (When properly equipped)

I do think a Magnum would be a better candidate for the job based on there not that old with a ton less miles and in general a much better. You see wear due to the F.I. system that it came with keeping it pretty nice inside.

It all depends on your budget for the project, and what manners you want it to have. It sounds like a good running 5.9 with stock exhaust manifolds and a small four barrel would fill the bill nicely. Spend some money on at least 2 1/4 inch exhaust, and GREAT flowing mufflers. I would run 3.23 gears or very close and use a stock type high stall converter made for a 904. Be careful what you buy for a used running engine. Learn what to look for, and make sure it is a low mileage unit so you get a quality piece.

I keep 318's around as a just in case engine, and it will direct swap in place of my 340, save for the left motor mount. I did run a 318 one summer while I was working the 340, it ran good with my 3:91's and it was fun. I would't discount the LA 318 for a street application.

I keep 318's around as a just in case engine, and it will direct swap in place of my 340, save for the left motor mount. I did run a 318 one summer while I was working the 340, it ran good with my 3:91's and it was fun. I would't discount the LA 318 for a street application.

You guys are confusing if he already had a 318 you'd be talking him out of building one.
But here some are talking him into building one so I guess you talk him out of it once he gets one lol.

To the OP 318 is a great engine and is fine for what you want and if you already had one would be an ok option. But since you don't it's worth finding a 360/5.9 even for a mild build.

I just got my v8 swapped '64 dart back on the road Thursday. I went from a 170ci slant and a 4spd overdrive, to a LA360 with a REAL 4spd. The motor I intentionally left very mild. It's all stock except for a 0.060" overbore, 9.3:1scr, a CompCams 268AH-10 cam with the required springs, unmodified LD340 intake, 340HP exhaust manifolds and a 750cfm carb.

The car is a riot! It very strong, considering how mild it is. It will incinerate the tires in 1st gear if I mat it. And it will idle all day long at a stoplight.

The only real pain in the *** with the swap was using the 340HP manifolds. It made exhaust routing a super pain! I would suggest using the 273 manifolds.

You guys are confusing if he already had a 318 you'd be talking him out of building one.
But here some are talking him into building one so I guess you talk him out of it once he gets one lol.

To the OP 318 is a great engine and is fine for what you want and if you already had one would be an ok option. But since you don't it's worth finding a 360/5.9 even for a mild build.
I'm a big believer in build what you want or what you have. Your car your way and screw the rest.

Bigger is better in most applications. There is nothing wrong with the 318. But if you have no engine, bigger is better. The best thing about a 318 is they can be free sometimes. Even a few hundred isn't bad. The can be built for a respectable showing. No doubt. They just get a bit snottier with bigger cams than the larger engines do.

I just got my v8 swapped '64 dart back on the road Thursday. I went from a 170ci slant and a 4spd overdrive, to a LA360 with a REAL 4spd. The motor I intentionally left very mild. It's all stock except for a 0.060" overbore, 9.3:1scr, a CompCams 268AH-10 cam with the required springs, unmodified LD340 intake, 340HP exhaust manifolds and a 750cfm carb.

The car is a riot! It very strong, considering how mild it is. It will incinerate the tires in 1st gear if I mat it. And it will idle all day long at a stoplight.
"It's all stock except" .... for all the parts that added at least 75 HP LOL. I bet it IS a riot! Good to hear it is so good!

I am into tinkering with all the internal parts so I'd prefer an LA, but for simplicity in this case, either Magnum sounds like it would be less work and will fill the bill. The one downside with the Magnum FI is upgrading the electrics to support the fuel injection. But it can be converted to a carb if the OP would rather fool with that.

-
Back