Engine overheating

-
i hope i haven't missed it....but what is the actual temperature?

I ordered a temperature gauge on Ebay. As soon as I received it, I could check and see if my dashboard gauge has a problem or not.

i hope i haven't missed it....but what is the actual temperature?
The world may never know. LOL Sounds like the op has a gauge ordered. A temp gun or even a meat thermometer would help diagnose a heating problem. I won't even call it overheat. I don't think it did. Time will tell.

The world may never know. LOL Sounds like the op has a gauge ordered. A temp gun or even a meat thermometer would help diagnose a heating problem. I won't even call it overheat. I don't think it did. Time will tell.
I prefer test with a new gauge rather than a temp gun.

I had a 340 that wanted to run 205 no matter what.I was using a good Equinas gauge.Then i installed a good Stewart Warner gauge and it ran 190 from that point on!

Or.. You can just go down to the local auto store and buy a Mr Gasket Thermocap Radiator cap for $30US

Therostat.jpg

At least this will tell you what you radiator temp is before you...:)

I prefer test with a new gauge rather than a temp gun.
Me too and with a quality gauge. It depends whether you are diagnosing or monitoring.

I had a 340 that wanted to run 205 no matter what.I was using a good Equinas gauge.Then i installed a good Stewart Warner gauge and it ran 190 from that point on!
And it wasn't overheating with either gauge.

Or.. You can just go down to the local auto store and buy a Mr Gasket Thermocap Radiator cap for $30US

View attachment 1715108402

That's slick. Probably not real accurite but neither is a factory gauge.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

View attachment 1715108402

At least this will tell you what you radiator temp is before you...:)
I have read that the probe isn`t long enough on thse to be accurate, especially on rads. that like to run a little low .-???????????

I have read that the probe isn`t long enough on thse to be accurate, especially on rads. that like to run a little low .-???????????
The antifreeze needs to be 'topped off' so it can touch the probe. As to accuracy, I also installed a 'pro' temp gauge that the probe screwed right into the radiator, which I assume is the location for an electric fan probe. Both gauges were within about 5deg of each other.

Radiator dual guages small.jpg

Radiator dual guages small.jpg

Elect fan probe location circled

Last edited:
The antifreeze needs to be 'topped off' so it can touch the probe. As to accuracy, I also installed a 'pro' temp gauge that the probe screwed right into the radiator, which I assume is the location for an electric fan probe. Both gauges were within about 5deg of each other.

View attachment 1715108572
I`d buy one if the probe was longer, mine likes to run about 1 1/4" low for some reason !

-
Back