Engine sputtering at about 65

-
Might be easier just finding a new harness than fixing that one. The alt gauge is always off don't worry about it, there is a IVR behind the dash that goes out and affects the fuel and temp gauges, that's why I asked can be that simple.

Tony @whitepunkonnitro is a good source for harnesses, there is actually a 74 dart that just showed up being parted out on the site, not to sure what interchanges though.

Might be easier just finding a new harness than fixing that one. The alt gauge is always off don't worry about it, there is a IVR behind the dash that goes out and affects the fuel and temp gauges, that's why I asked can be that simple.

Oh yea, I'm guessing that the whole harness would be a swap. I've not had a chance to pull the dash out yet (another thing on the list of things to do unfortunately). I'm a bit afraid of what I might find back there lol. I'm sure it's awful. I had to replace the steering column and they had bastardized the horn wiring as well as some other things. I'm replacing the steering wheel also (far lower priority of course) and when I do I'll have to redo all that wiring in the column that's been screwed up.

Just bulbs for the cluster, headlight yes there is a good thread on that also, search is you friend on this forum.

A headlight relay kit makes a world of difference in brightness, just realized you have points right? If so you need a 72 back harness, post a thread to see what will work I am not versed on them. Hey you ever check your dwell if you have points? You could have point float that is why it is sputtering at speed also. (weak spring pressure on the points)

A headlight relay kit makes a world of difference in brightness, just realized you have points right? If so you need a 72 back harness, post a thread to see what will work I am not versed on them. Hey you ever check your dwell if you have points? You could have point float that is why it is sputtering at speed also. (weak spring pressure on the points)

This is electronic I think, not points. I'm a bit confused now though because I know for sure that there's a ballast resistor on the firewall and those were only used with points distributors. If that's still connected, can that be throwing things off?

As for the lights, the headlights are good and bright, the tails and brakes are dimmer so could that be a back harness?

Prob a dirty ground, 71 should be points electronic started in 71, easy to tell one wire out to the coil or a two wire with a plug.

Prob a dirty ground, 71 should be points electronic started in 71, easy to tell one wire out to the coil or a two wire with a plug.

lol, this actually has both. One cabled wire to the coil and a 2 wire plug over to the harness somewhere.

Distributor sensor wire.jpg

See what you mean on the wiring mess, watch that 74 after thinking about it it prob is different, seat belt interlock etc. When you had the cap off did it have a pick up in it do you know what that is? Cant tell by the picture.

LOL Thinkl the cabled wire is the coil wire goes to the center of the cap then two wires to a plug? Then it is electronic.

LOL Thinkl the cabled wire is the coil wire goes to the center of the cap then two wires to a plug? Then it is electronic.

Yes, the coil is over on the fender wall, which is another reason I considered just swapping it for an HEI, since this is an unknown distributor AND it's messy with another cable run over to the fender, I thought for not a lot I can upgrade both and clean up some of the mess in this engine bay.

I would find a engine harness first that will get rid of a lot of it, you want a 8 cyl harness for the engine, don't think the dash makes a difference except maybe year, not positive on that except the seat belt interface. You might just have electrical issues? Mopar electronic distributors are very reliable, the control boxes do crap out but they are a easy change and usually just die. You have to watch with the one wire that it has the right curve for your engine or it can be a dog.

I would find a engine harness first that will get rid of a lot of it, you want a 8 cyl harness for the engine, don't think the dash makes a difference except maybe year, not positive on that except the seat belt interface. You might just have electrical issues? Mopar electronic distributors are very reliable, the control boxes do crap out but they are a easy change and usually just die. You have to watch with the one wire that it has the right curve for your engine or it can be a dog.

Ok, sounds good. I'm looking now.

Put up a wanted add some one has on I bet and send tony a message also good guy and good parts. I have to run, snow removal time!

Put up a wanted add some one has on I bet and send tony a message also good guy and good parts. I have to run, snow removal time!

Thanks for the help, sent Tony a message earlier and I'll add a wanted ad here and see what I can find. Good luck with the snow, I'm from Buffalo originally and I've had all of that I care to for my life lol.

I have a tractor, just a PIA was hoping it was going to rain but got ice instead! Any questions just ask on the site a lot of good people here.

Not to get too far off topic, but:

Mine just arrived yesterday, just installed the app a few min ago.. This one slick tool! I got the 6.5mm version. Now I can do my own colonoscopy!! :wtf::(
TMI! LOL

Not to get too far off topic, but:

Mine just arrived yesterday, just installed the app a few min ago.. This one slick tool! I got the 6.5mm version. Now I can do my own colonoscopy!! :wtf::(

Gross, eww! Bad enough I'm already approaching that magical age.

-
Back