Epoxy?

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
Lets say someone was thinking about building a b-block with TPI. Other than the Indy ModMan I am unaware on any EFI intakes. Have seen, somewhere, someone talking about using an epoxy of sorts to install injector bungs. Sure I could pay someone to tig the bungs in but....

I've heard of this. If you are using an iron intake you can braze/ silver braze them. There is also a gas rod for aluminum, but you need what are called "cobalt blue" glasses for best sight. These are what are used in glass blowing

MSD had some screw ins, but epoxy would work just fine. The Nazis glued wings onto planes...the stuff holds! I used JB to set mine into my 'bung head' slant. Stiff!

Not trying to Hy-Jack, but the mention of "Epoxy" on a iron intake would be OK *I think*, but not sure at all. What epoxy would/could be used on a iron intake for this? Would it also be good for, let's say, an exhaust port?
What would be a good epoxy for this?
Because I'm thinking of high heat issues. True, the intake doesn't get as hot as an exhaust port, but, the overkill thought comes into play.

What about aluminum? Since an aluminum intake is more likely to be the focus of most people doing this.

Ink, I think paying the tig piper is the best route IMO. Of course, we all love to say "I did it!"

Not trying to Hy-Jack, but the mention of "Epoxy" on a iron intake would be OK *I think*, but not sure at all. What epoxy would/could be used on a iron intake for this? Would it also be good for, let's say, an exhaust port?
What would be a good epoxy for this?
Because I'm thinking of high heat issues. True, the intake doesn't get as hot as an exhaust port, but, the overkill thought comes into play.

What about aluminum? Since an aluminum intake is more likely to be the focus of most people doing this.

Ink, I think paying the tig piper is the best route IMO. Of course, we all love to say "I did it!"
Guy I talked to wanted close to $600, considering the bungs are under $60....
Found something on the Holley site, don't think this link will work...https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...ggvMAM&usg=AFQjCNFd1HlnqlEWFI45irvK6aMErAgb3Q

I have a tig machine. Started figuring out things...just got distracted...really should talk to the guy in town that holds classes...

I think JB weld should work OK. I have used it for similar things many times. Take some precautions. First, don't use the 5 minute version. It is not quite as strong as the stuff that cures overnight. Second, the area (similar to paint prep) must be scuffed up and CLEAN. Also, make sure to mix it thoroughly. Improperly mixed epoxy may look OK, but it won't be as strong as a properly mixed batch.

those instructions are exactly how I did mine (before even reading that) right down to trimming the underside with a die grinder, but I can stress that a mill or press is NOT required as the way the injectors sit in the bungs is on O-rings. The angles can be off a tad and they will still seat. But double and triple check the complete rail clearance before you drill. Usually you end up with them pointing straight up on a 45 degree runner. On a flat street Dominator style, good luck getting a pattern that will hit the valve. There is a guy on Ebay that sells AL bungs pre drilled for about $4 a piece in lots of 4-6-8.
Fuel Injector Bungs ( qty 8) - Aluminum Weld on EFI conversion Boss Bosch

those instructions are exactly how I did mine (before even reading that) right down to trimming the underside with a die grinder, but I can stress that a mill or press is NOT required as the way the injectors sit in the bungs is on O-rings. The angles can be off a tad and they will still seat. But double and triple check the complete rail clearance before you drill. Usually you end up with them pointing straight up on a 45 degree runner. On a flat street Dominator style, good luck getting a pattern that will hit the valve. There is a guy on Ebay that sells AL bungs pre drilled for about $4 a piece in lots of 4-6-8.
Fuel Injector Bungs ( qty 8) - Aluminum Weld on EFI conversion Boss Bosch
Thanks, will be buying a set, just in case..
Thanks for the link...

-
Back