Ever find a surprise like this under the carpet??

-

harrisonm

Reaction score
I was watching Bitchin Rides today. They were working on a 57 Ford Fairlane, and found this under the carpet. I was wondering if anyone here ever found something like this during a disassembly.
Hole in floor.jpg

Kinda sorta.

I was restoring a '69 Firebird for a customer and found a rough cut hole for the console shift. It wasn't die stamped and looked like it had been cut with a sawzall.

The car was delivered factory like that.

Sure!! I CAUSED ONE!!! LOL. When I was "young" my second car was a PeeGlide, it went bad and I had another car I'd bought with a bad engine. Chopped up the floor "best I could." I don't thing sawsalls had been invented in 1966 LOL It was pretty ragged "as I remember."

A coworker took his brand new Pontiac back to the dealership for a noise inside the door. They pulled a small transistor radio out of it.

A coworker took his brand new Pontiac back to the dealership for a noise inside the door. They pulled a small transistor radio out of it.
When I was in the A.F. , a senior master sgt. in charge of our hangar, had ordered a new ford station wagon when leaving viet nam, he flew to new York to pick it up. It always had a rattle in the drivers door, he kept taking it back to the dealers to get it fixed. They couldn`t duplicate the rattle. He was a big burly guy that tried to be a hard ***, but was actually a nice guy. He finally got fed up and watched them take the panel off the inside, with the window down, nothing. When they went for a drive w/ the window up/ rattle. They found a coke bottle hanging on a string, w/ a note inside saying ,--===" how long did it take you fools to find this!" TRUE STORY !

A friend of mine worked at a Chevvvy dealership back in the 70’s and found a small Coke bottle with a note inside that said “ Betcha had hard time finding this one”

He kept in his tool box as show piece!

And to the original OP...yes I have found those and aided and abetted in creating a few!!! Even found stop signs also!

When you grow up on a farm and the only tools you keep on tractor is a hammer, pliers and wire...oh an a soup can to cover the upright exhaust...cutting a hole like they discovered is child’s play!!!

A friend of mine worked at a Chevvvy dealership back in the 70’s and found a small Coke bottle with a note inside that said “ Betcha had hard time finding this one”

He kept in his tool box as show piece!

And to the original OP...yes I have found those and aided and abetted in creating a few!!! Even found stop signs also!

When you grow up on a farm and the only tools you keep on tractor is a hammer, pliers and wire...oh an a soup can to cover the upright exhaust...cutting a hole like they discovered is child’s play!!!
I know about the soup can. One time my dad had bought a new farmall super c , I went to park it after feeding the herd one winter evening, I drove he fed off a 3 ton wagon.
There was ice all over it, when I crawled out on the gas tank to put the can on the exhaust, I slipped and caught myself w/ my left hand on the muffler. Burnt the hell out of it, and I quickly stuck my hand in the snow till it quit burning. Never did blister, but to this day my left palm and thumb doesn`t have much natural oils, and stays dry and cracks al the time . ????

I know about the soup can. One time my dad had bought a new farmall super c , I went to park it after feeding the herd one winter evening, I drove he fed off a 3 ton wagon.
There was ice all over it, when I crawled out on the gas tank to put the can on the exhaust, I slipped and caught myself w/ my left hand on the muffler. Burnt the hell out of it, and I quickly stuck my hand in the snow till it quit burning. Never did blister, but to this day my left palm and thumb doesn`t have much natural oils, and stays dry and cracks al the time . ????

Never burnt my hand on it but I have a few scars from everything else that came with being on farm!

It must have been a Detroit thing to hide stuff in cars back then...lol!!!

When I was in the A.F. , a senior master sgt. in charge of our hangar, had ordered a new ford station wagon when leaving viet nam, he flew to new York to pick it up. It always had a rattle in the drivers door, he kept taking it back to the dealers to get it fixed. They couldn`t duplicate the rattle. He was a big burly guy that tried to be a hard ***, but was actually a nice guy. He finally got fed up and watched them take the panel off the inside, with the window down, nothing. When they went for a drive w/ the window up/ rattle. They found a coke bottle hanging on a string, w/ a note inside saying ,--===" how long did it take you fools to find this!" TRUE STORY !
Younger brother of a friend did all the under dash stuff at a Cadillac dealer. Same thing he found. Of course Caddy district rep told the unhappy customer they had backtracked the car and found the assembler that had that station on the line that day and dismissed him. RIIIIGHT

Knew a guy that worked the line for Dodge. Use to put the empty beer bottles in the gas tank before they were installed. Yeah try to find that rattle 1 yr down the road.

I worked around guys who worked at dealerships in the 70’s and early 80’s before I started my venture as a Body man in ‘88.

They told me of lady who would come to the dealership like 3 times a weak with a mysterious rattle. So after about a month they took her headliner down and put a B.B. in the rail to create a noise every time she would turn! So she brought it back to tell them about it ...they took out the B.B. and she was happy they had found the noise...she never came back!

I just pulled up the original rubber floor in my 73 Duster. Bought it from the original owner 4 years ago. I found a tremendous amount of leftover lead blocks from the seams I guess. They were painted body color. Obvious they left the factory like that. You’d think somebody would notice 2x2” chunks of lead in the LR floor.

I just pulled up the original rubber floor in my 73 Duster. Bought it from the original owner 4 years ago. I found a tremendous amount of leftover lead blocks from the seams I guess. They were painted body color. Obvious they left the factory like that. You’d think somebody would notice 2x2” chunks of lead in the LR floor.
Lead on the left rear? Must have been destined to be a circle track car :rofl:

If it wasn’t a full lb I’d be surprised. When I was restoring my 70’ Dart, I found a really nice plain zippo lighter under the heel pad area. That too was bought as a 2nd owner. I still have the zippo.

They would place golf balls in the inner quarter of 2 door cars too. Noise was roaaaarrr thump at stop and go.

The only thing I have ever found in any old car floors is rust.

True story, I worked for a guy once, he was a certified AMC technician.
A customer kept complaining about a poor shifting auto transmission.
He found it was out of tolerance and shimmed something to make it shift ok.
The customer was happy.
Apparently AMC had this issue with a lot of transmissions, and a factory rep, came in to talk to him, the dealership and what was done to fix the issue, and ride in the customers car.

After the rep found out he modified the trans, he made him reverse the repair, and give the customer back a car that was to factory specs, but would not shift correctly, because the "tech" modified a factory part.

Rep also made the comment that blind people where hired to assemble AMC transmissions thru a government grant.

Rep also made the comment that blind people where hired to assemble AMC transmissions thru a government grant.

I just laughingly told my daughter about this, and she says "uh huh, I know". I'm like what?

She is Legally blind. Can see, but glasses are think and cannot legally drive. On the eye chart, she can read the second and almost 3rd line, with glasses.

She was on a field trip with the Idaho State Commission for the Deaf and Blind. They were told that there were a number of jobs they can get in manufacturing and assembly line work. They specifically said "Even build transmissions". I sent 5 minutes trying to make her understand how ridiculous that sounds. Didn't work.

-
Back