Exhaust tip inlet size

-

Paul Volpe

Reaction score
What size was the inlet on the exhaust tips from the factory? 2.25 or 2.5 I really want the factory sound. Thanks any knowledge on this would be appreciated

I know on a stock '69 Dart GTS they were 2 1/4". However, inside the front part of the tip it narrowed down to something under 2" for some reason. You can still get tips of that original (restrictive) design from places like Accurate. Or opt for 2 1/4" or 2 1/2" straight through. I think the OEM mufflers, or a copy of them, are more likely to give you the "correct" sound, not the tip design.

I just replaced mine. The tailpipes are 2 1/4 OD and they neck down to 2 inches OD at the tip. The factory tips went INSIDE the tailpipes, so they were actually something like 1 7/8 OD. My aftermarket ones were 2 inch ID so fit on the outside of the tailpipes.

i could be wrong but i think the factory exhaust was 2 1/4 to the muffler and 1 7/8 (tailpipes) from the muffler to the tips.The tips were 1 5/8 slipping inside the 1 7/8 tailpipes.Don't worry about flow this far back.The factory realized the exhaust had cooled by the time it got that far away from the engine and performed fine on stock or slightly warm builds.

I believe the sound is all in the rectangular opening.
I believe the size into the tip is of much lessor importance.
I believe Jesus is coming back to pull my fat azz outta here before too much more time goes by.
Oops wrong forum,lol

For some reason, Ma Mopar decided to stuff exhaust tips INSIDE the tailpipes. I always thought that was strange. I don't know how much of an affect that would have, but it seems to me that choking a 2.25 inch exhaust down to 2.0 or slightly less could not have been good. I bought some stainless steel replica tips for my 69 Barracuda that slip over the tailpipe and look just like the originals. I doubt that the restriction affected the exhaust note.

Thanks to all, the guy at the local muffler shop thinks I'm nuts I asked him the same question
Oh well lol

i think those sizes do affect the sound.You will be hard pressed to find a mopar that sounds original. Most have installed pipes and mufflers much louder than stock.
...if you E-bay "1969 dodge dart exhaust" you will get a company called Classic exhaust.Their system is very close and inexpensive.

Try e bay # 142397423773 this is for a 340 dart but they make exhaust for all models
seller is sat1966.I have heard their stock system and it is just like 1969!

-
Back