expert help needed (my first post)

-
Its nearly impossible to flip a car and come ahead unless many shortcuts are made. This is why I would never consider buying one of those cars from the "classic car dealers". They are usually polished pigs.
If you want to make money flipping cars I will tell you how to do it. Buy cars that have potential with little work. Get them running if possible, clean them up and sell them as-is as a project car.

Its nearly impossible to flip a car and come ahead unless many shortcuts are made. This is why I would never consider buying one of those cars from the "classic car dealers". They are usually polished pigs.
If you want to make money flipping cars I will tell you how to do it. Buy cars that have potential with little work. Get them running if possible, clean them up and sell them as-is as a project car.
As what he has now

Do it your way. Put the 440 in it, the skills you will learn will be very rewarding. Troubleshooting, figuring things out and flat out making things work is what I was attempting at your age.

Interesting thread. Some times the most important lessons in life are the most expensive.
Go big block. More lessons and more expense. That's what I am doing. I have no intent on selling though. And if I stayed 340 I would likely still be driving my car.LOL

The kid is 17 where is he /she getting the funds to do a 440 swap? what all is needed in terms of parts? how about exhaust? rear diff? torsion bars? lets think about the domino effect here financially. (It's real easy to spend other peoples money I've seen it)

The kid is 17 where is he /she getting the funds to do a 440 swap? what all is needed in terms of parts? how about exhaust? rear diff? torsion bars? lets think about the domino effect here financially. (It's real easy to spend other peoples money I've seen it)
Back in the late 80s I gave $1000 for a solid and almost rust free, running 318 Challenger with a 440 transplant. Did I give a little too much? Loved that car! No rust, a couple of small floorboard holes I patched, and drove it 30 miles to a shop for exhaust with no mufflers! BUT every smart "guy"said it was a waste of time,go find a REAL RTcar!!!!!! Little did they know.
Cars an still be built with some work and smarts, just take more of everything. More work and less money IF a guy is smart. BUT people make more $ today too!!
LOve the big blocks.

I remember when it was cheap I don think this kid should be guided along like it still is. This is why you have uncle Tony types with gutted interiors... he doesnt want to spend the money if you guys are ok with cars that are half finished with no interior and crap paint nd body work and you think that's proper and cool press on...!

I remember when it was cheap I don think this kid should be guided along like it still is. This is why you have uncle Tony types with gutted interiors... he doesnt want to spend the money if you guys are ok with cars that are half finished with no interior and crap paint nd body work and you think that's proper and cool press on...!
My cars have NO rust , good paint...NO headliner as I give a crap about that..they run good and I did all the work because I am old, woreout, 76 and NOT lazy nor that stupid, and have always had the DESIRE> Yes I do it all except machine work and always find a motor than runs decent without all that $$$. Friends..networking. It takes some work, some desire and yea some money. So does LIFE!
I like my cars and IF they don't meet someone approval I care less. Be our own man!

Last edited:
thanks, whats tough is every machine shop is taken, i am coming from raleigh, and ever machine shop around is 6 months out and even after finding a shop to do it, i was quoted 5k+ for the full rebuild, just pistons being 800. i want to sell this car for a flip so i can move on to my next one but thats seeming different with these prices. its also hard because i have no one to help me as my family isent into working on cars to this extent. thanks for all the advice.
cant think of his screen name but a member here repliicaracecar? he iis a very reputiibile machine shop in concord nc area and has helped a bunch of folks on here!! got a cousin in fayetteviille nc might be closer, google charlies davis carburetors and mopars he should pop up but if it was my money id get with replicaracecar in concord!

-
Back