FABO Parts 360 Build

-

Baxter61

Reaction score
So I get in the habit of collecting parts I want, then they sit, then I get sick of looking at them so that's when I usually end up building something. So I started building this 360 to clean up some projects and I was working on it yesterday when it occurred to me that sans block and crank I bought every part for this motor off FABO! I found a local guy who said I could use his run stand for free so I'm hoping to have it buttoned up and fired up next weekend and in my car the following weekend. So here's a parts list and some details, nothing exotic just a basic combo:

360 bored .030, 0 decked
Factory cast crank turned .020/.020 and balanced with Summit balancer and B&M flexplate
KB 107 pistons w/ moly rings, works out to 10.75:1 compression
Magnum rods with ARP bolts
RHS Heads by IMM
COMP solid custom grind, 254/254 @ .050, 109 LSA, .3600/.3600 lobe lift
Crane Gold 1.6 roller rockers
Eddy RPM Air-Gap

PS, ignore the mess in the background! :book:

Yep! It's always more exciting when things are coming together... and even more exciting when ya get to fire it up! Sounds like your going to have a mighty small block.....

You happened to have all of the parts lying around to build a 360 and then you just happened to have a car with no engine in it? What a happy coincidence.

You happened to have all of the parts lying around to build a 360 and then you just happened to have a car with no engine in it? What a happy coincidence.

Haha, the car has an engine in it but its got some issues that needs to be fixed, this will hold me over until I can fix them :D

That ought to make an honest 500+ hp ...

Should be a strong piece.

Looks like a crack in the lifter valley.

Nice build Baxter61!!!

I hope you guys are right on the power as I have built
essentially the same engine with a hydraulic cam and
a few other small deviations.

Well I wouldn't be upset if it cracked the 500 hp barrier, desktop dyno says 446 using the flow numbers I got from a SuperFlow 1000 series bench.

He even found the "shipping" for the heads here on FABO...LOL!

It ain't gonna make 500 HP, but I'd bet if the fuel and timing curve is right she'd go 475-ish. Further if the cam/converter/gears are right...and it hooks: very low 11's should be cake.

Get it in the car, dammit! I'll be up the week of the 23rd and I want to hear it run!!!

Doug,

Yes, the "shipping" worked out great...for me! Lol It aint gonna hook, you've seen my tires!

The motor is officially in the car however the intake manifold is being cut to fit as we speak. Hoping to install it this weekend and get it fired up and the cam broke in then the tuning begins!

question on the rods. Were the pistons spec'd for magnum or LA? Were the pins a ***** to press in?

Those pistons don't care what head you have...they will work with eithe Magnum.or LA heads. Just always check piston to valve clearance to be sure.

Pressed fit rods are easily done with a heat to expand the small end BUT...floater 340 rods are cheap on the open used market. Also, more precise pin fit with a floating pin. However, it makes little sense to reman OEM 340 rods when rods like the SCAT I beams are available for $325-ish. Bonus: Stronger and WAY lighter than OE rods.

Those pistons don't care what head you have...they will work with eithe Magnum.or LA heads. Just always check piston to valve clearance to be sure.

Pressed fit rods are easily done with a heat to expand the small end BUT...floater 340 rods are cheap on the open used market. Also, more precise pin fit with a floating pin. However, it makes little sense to reman OEM 340 rods when rods like the SCAT I beams are available for $325-ish. Bonus: Stronger and WAY lighter than OE rods.

Yup. However I am trying to use up the piles of parts I have laying around so I decided to use the magnum rods as opposed to buy new ones.

Welp I'll keep this short, 4 min into cam break-in it broke a valve in the head...fml!

Are you freaking kidding me?????? WTF????!!!!????

What caused it?

Block okay??

Any chamber damage??

Nooooooooooooo...

Doug,

Havent got that far yet. I was breaking the cam in last night and a few minutes it, clunk clunk clunk and the motor seized. It wont roll over right now. I pulled the rocker arms and pushrods to see if that would free it up, no luck. Pulled the spark plugs to see if I could see anything and number 8 was smashed. Looked at the springs and number 8 exhaust is compressed about .500 like its open. Im going to try to pull that head either tonight or tomorrow and look at it. No water in the oil and no coolant missing so I don't think it punctured into water. My machinist apparently knows the "THE guy" to go to for cast iron repair. Its just more time and money I guess : ( Im trying to get the car ready for the Woodburn race in 3 or 4 weeks so I may just be freshening the 410 sooner than planned.

This sucks too because these are IMM heads and so they should have Ferrea valves. Its not like the cam was crazy big either.

WTF , wow sorry to hear this . Hope the damage is not that bad and you get it back running soon .

Doug,

Havent got that far yet. I was breaking the cam in last night and a few minutes it, clunk clunk clunk and the motor seized. It wont roll over right now. I pulled the rocker arms and pushrods to see if that would free it up, no luck. Pulled the spark plugs to see if I could see anything and number 8 was smashed. Looked at the springs and number 8 exhaust is compressed about .500 like its open. Im going to try to pull that head either tonight or tomorrow and look at it. No water in the oil and no coolant missing so I don't think it punctured into water. My machinist apparently knows the "THE guy" to go to for cast iron repair. Its just more time and money I guess : ( Im trying to get the car ready for the Woodburn race in 3 or 4 weeks so I may just be freshening the 410 sooner than planned.

This sucks too because these are IMM heads and so they should have Ferrea valves. Its not like the cam was crazy big either.

Dammit! Either a valve hit a piston, or more than likely the valve seized in the guide and hung open. Don't ask me how I know about the valve seizing in the guide...

What Wood burn race? A Mopar gig??

Yea, Mopar Nationals, its our little all mopar event, july 20.

Heres some pics, only took the passenger side head off (cuz its the easy one and I had limited time). The motor is still locked up.

I tore the 410 down last night, its going to the machine shop tonight to be hot tanked an honed. Im gonna order some bearings and rings. I told him I want it back by this weekend so I can put it together. I want to get the heads from that motor flowed before they go back on so I can decide if I want to use them.

-
Back