fan shroud questions

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I may have to put a fan shroud on this car. Talked to the radiator man the other day when I took my radiator in to be cleaned and flushed and he told me that if my fan is within 2-3 inches of the radiator, I didn't need one. it is close enough to pull enough air through. I have had this set up for 14 years now and it has worked fine. Problem is that since I installed the Schumacher mounts, the engine is set back another 1 ". Summit has the shrouds.my question is: my radiator has no tabs to mount a shroud. I could make some and put them on but does anybody know where to get a kit with the tabs in it. It would be a little easier that way. I will be putting the fan and radiator back in today and know if I need one. Thanks, Bill

I knew you were good for something, just now figured out what it was. lol. that may be an option. I have one on there now about 1 ". will see where I am at when I get the radiator in today. that would be easier wouldn't it. Thanks

Are you running a clutch driven fan? I wouldn't space out a clutch driven fan much. All that weight hanging way out front applies more leverage to the water pump.

shoot me a PM once you decide you need a spacer, I think I have one or two extra I could part with

I think I am good where I am at. I am just about 2 1/4 " from the radiator. any closer and I wont be able to get a longer bolt in. I can now put a wrench on the bolts as before it was awful tight. Thanks

You can install the fan with the bolts already in it through the spacer.
Accepted 'effective' space between fan and radiator is less an inch for it to be truly functional.

But if you're that far of the radiator, a fanshroud will be a better option.

Why do different engine mounts change the forward location of the engine?
Usually the transmission mount dictates the engine/tranny position.
Do you have a non-stock engine in the car?

or if its to close to get the bolts in then just put the fan on before putting in the radiator

BigBlockMopar, had to change motor mounts. needed to go with Schumacher mounts to put the engine straight in the engine bay. motor was crooked with factory mounts. and I disagree with your less than an inch to be truly functional. I have been running this was 14 years and had no problem with cooling. My radiator guy who has been in business for probably 40 years told me that if I stay between 2-3" of the radiator a shroud will not help any that the fan is already pulling enough air through. Unless he is full of crap, I don't know. I will see. I may have to have a shroud. I am no expert on this at all. will know soon.

What engine size?
A shroud only improves cooling since the fan should partially be in the shroud.

Hmmm...interesting. I wondered why so many (mine included) Mopars don't have fan shrouds.

No shroud here and never overheats.

Having no shroud doesn't mean you should have an overheating engine.
It just means your radiator is well up to the task of cooling your engine.

It's when things get marginal (scaled up radiator/bad engine tune) that a shroud usually helps the situation in favor of the radiator.

A shroud mostly helps idle and low speed situations, where there's not enough air going through the radiator.

Having no shroud doesn't mean you should have an overheating engine.
It just means your radiator is well up to the task of cooling your engine.

It's when things get marginal (scaled up radiator/bad engine tune) that a shroud usually helps the situation in favor of the radiator.

A shroud mostly helps idle and low speed situations, where there's not enough air going through the radiator.

That and the shroud makes it where the fan pulls air through the entire radiator cooling surface instead of just the middle. :D (so cooling efficiency goes up quite a bit)

-
Back