Father-Son 1974 Duster Project

-
Save this for later
20160924_140106-jpg.1714972906.jpg

IMG_6012.JPG
What's the solvent of choice to get butyl sealant off the back of the windshield stainless trim? Looks like someone put this stuff on with a shovel....

View attachment 1715014041 What's the solvent of choice to get butyl sealant off the back of the windshield stainless trim? Looks like someone put this stuff on with a shovel....
Laquer thinner, but it evaporates quick. I think mineral spirits will cut that and it will stay wet longer so you can wrap a rag around it and let it soften a while for less work. Also less fumes inhaled, lol. If that gets most of it, you could then do a final cleanup with the laquer thinner.

Last edited:
3m makes a gasket softener, I bought a qt can at napa.

^ That is the bracket kit I got and successfully swapped over my slant 6 PS pump. Used the original slant 6 pulley too.

Nice! I had no frame of reference since this is what the old girl looked like when we brought her home and that was 5 years ago... :elmer:

IMG_6014.JPG

Last edited:
Yikes!! I can't tell if that's moss or algea. You come a long way.
It was a combo of green mold and the beginning of moss. The car sat outside nearly 10 years without a hood in the PO's back yard. She was a mess...

You would never know it from where your at. Eyes on the prize.

Lacquer thinner. Work fast, be patient...it'll get the stuff off. Looks great compared to the moss covered look...that shag stuff is so 70s....lol

You could make a pvc tube to soak the windshield trim in. Get a piece of 2 or 3" pvc that will accommodate the curve of the trim, and glue a cap on it. Stand it up, put the trim in it, and pour it full of cheap lacquer thinner from Home Depot. It will soften the goop up and it will about fall off. Hopefully, it won't eat the glue holding the cap on the bottom of the tube....lol. I use this trick to get good mirror glass out of Rallye mirrors I want or need to paint.

You could make a pvc tube to soak the windshield trim in. Get a piece of 2 or 3" pvc that will accommodate the curve of the trim, and glue a cap on it. Stand it up, put the trim in it, and pour it full of cheap lacquer thinner from Home Depot. It will soften the goop up and it will about fall off. Hopefully, it won't eat the glue holding the cap on the bottom of the tube....lol. I use this trick to get good mirror glass out of Rallye mirrors I want or need to paint.
I'm going to make some sort of tank to soak the things, i think the lacquer will work better than mineral spirits

Yes, I am planning to make a tank of some variety to soak those things. I may try mineral spirits in a plastic wallpaper tray first...

I sometimes use mineral spirits in a concrete mixing tub. Black plastic things they sell at Home Depot... Works pretty much like a parts washer. As I mentioned it won't vaporize as quickly as lacquer thinner. Wrapping it in a wet rag allows it to soak without using 5 gallons of the stuff. Or just keep going over it with a brush. Depends what's on it - Min spirit works great for degreasing, should do well on butyl. Paint or urethane, probably will need Lac thinner.

This morning while waiting for the building inspector, I taped up one of the dual sport mirrors I'll be using just to check it out. I think they'll be cool!

IMG_6025.JPG
IMG_6026.JPG
IMG_6027.JPG
IMG_6024.JPG

Aaron is once again off the reservation. Seems another old Mopar has taken him away....
Happy wrenching Aaron...
aaron truck.jpg

Had to get my hillbilly on today since it is 65 degrees in my yard. Ducked out of the office and ran home to shoot the 340 manifolds @69conv gifted to me.

Por15 high temp black. The stuff went on nice. I'll bring em in and bake them with my 300 watt lamps tonight.

Oh well, back to work for me now.
IMG_6032.JPG

Last edited:
Manifolds are baking under the lamps and I got a coat of rust reformer on the 2 newest cop wheels that we cleaned and sanded.
IMG_6041.JPG
IMG_6039.JPG

-
Back