Father-Son 1974 Duster Project

-
I got my column shift linkage back in the car. Man it's tight but it's in there and it does not hit the exhaust at all.
IMG_7048.JPG
IMG_7047.JPG

And moving to the back of the car, I finally got my shiny new Monroe Matics bolted on.
IMG_7059.JPG

I couldn't find one of those fuel sender ground straps long enough for my application, so I used a small hose clamp and a piece of 14 gauge wire to ground...
IMG_7061.JPG

Today I got my trans wiring harness connector soldered and heat shrink done. Also relocated the oil pressure line to the dash gauge. I had it run to a gauge under the hood for initial start up. And most exciting to me, I got the late seventies (high school era, very much like the one in my Barracuda back then) Panasonic AM/FM Cassette stereo in the dash.
:D
IMG_7071.jpg
IMG_7073.jpg

IMG_7084.JPG
Front wheels off to install shocks and mount new Cooper Cobra's when they arrive. Looking at this picture, I realize how much this low budget build has relied heavily on Rock Auto

I tapped the spindle nut covers in place tonight and finished painting the passenger side fenderwell with black Rustoleum.
IMG_7092.JPG

While on the passenger side I thought this would be a good time to install the antenna. I painted the base Matt Black because it was badly pitted. Considered painting the mast too but I'm going to leave it as is for now.
IMG_7091.JPG

IMG_7090.JPG

FedEx is bringing my tires tomorrow and I have a fellow member, @Rd2Scamp sending me this seat. It's correct for a 74 and it's in nice shape, only needs a few small repairs and a dye job. The seat I have is from a 71 and it's in bad shape.
IMG_7089.JPG

Also found and scrubbed down the inner fender splash gaurds. Haven't seen those babies in like six years.....

Last edited:
I tapped the spindle nut covers in place tonight and finished painting the passenger side fenderwell with black Rustoleum.
View attachment 1715064571
While on the passenger side I thought this would be a good time to install the antenna. I painted the base Matt Black because it was badly pitted. Considered painting the mast too but I'm going to leave it as is for now.
View attachment 1715064572
View attachment 1715064574
FedEx is bringing my tires tomorrow and I have a fellow member, @Rd2Scamp sending me this seat. It's correct for a 74 and it's in nice shape, only needs a few small repairs and a dye job. The seat I have is from a 71 and it's in bad shape.
View attachment 1715064575
Also found and scrubbed down the inner fender splash gaurds. Haven't seen those babies in like six years.....
Good to see you will putting that seat to use. It is in really nice shape. Almost ended up in mine till I realized it was slightly different than what I have. Did you find a good way to ship it? I am waiting for my cover. Should have it in the next week or so. Being made by a local upholstery shop.

I sent him boxes that each back will fit in. The bottom will be wrapped in moving blankets and stretch wrap I sent him then boxes slipped over that and more stretch wrap. UPS ground will be the shipper. My company gets great rates from them....
G
uline.jpg
otta love uline!

Last edited:
Tires and wheels on!
Mopar Police wheels all the way around
Rear. 245/60r15
Front. 215/65r15
Stock suspension
Monroe Gasmatic shocks
IMG_7101.JPG

D/D are you happy with the tires? Looks like they fit right. Looks like you could lower that front end a hair? Nice tires

D/D are you happy with the tires? Looks like they fit right. Looks like you could lower that front end a hair? Nice tires

I love the wheel and tire combo. Looks clean and mean to me.
I just put the tires and wheels on a little bit ago. My first reaction was I like how the car sits. Need to let it be while I do the interior and we'll see. Looking at it now the front could come down a hair.
IMG_7099.JPG

View attachment 1715064838

Last edited:
Looks great.
I seen in another thread that you were going to put the ac back in the car.
I have all the ac brackets, compressor, pulleys etc still bolted on a motor if you need them.

Looks great.
I seen in another thread that you were going to put the ac back in the car.
I have all the ac brackets, compressor, pulleys etc still bolted on a motor if you need them.
Thanks Shawn. I'll need all that stuff. If you can hang onto for a bit I'll take it. I have been spending money on the car like a crazy person lately and I need to to curtail that for a while.

No problem it's on a motor the guy gave me when I bought my challenger.
Parts will be super cheap.

Are you going to carlisle?
If so I am going to be there Saturday, I can bring the parts.
I do need the PS pump, I would consider the compressor and alternator cores.

zrAu5n.jpg

Looking Good!!!
Thanks Alex, it's turning out as I had intended. Didn't plan early on for the black cop wheels, but they fit the bill for accepting a good size tire and I owned two of them already so that was budget friendly.

Interior and lots of tweaks left to go...

Last edited:
I didn't touch the torsion bars. I just drove it around the neighborhood a few times and she settled down quite a bit up front. Maybe now the front needs to come up a bit?
IMG_7119.JPG
IMG_7121.JPG

:(I am not feeling it for the black wheels right now.:(

I was much more comfortable with the cop wheels when they were silver. I'll need to think on it..

Any opinions welcome. Just don't mention poverty caps or I'll puke
IMG_5433.JPG

FANTASTIC!!! on the Drive around and getting it settled down...Silver or Body color...not mentioning caps...just Silver or Body Color. Think silver looks kinda cool

-
Back