Father-Son 1974 Duster Project

-
The brand is OER.
Did you mention the scoops to him?

My seat has been at the upholstery shop getting those seams re-sewn. I got my windshield and gutter trim back from Waggin. Have not opened the box yet. Still need to remove and replace and refinish the gutter caulk that was missed by the paint shop, but they have been great about being stand up about repainting blending and wet sanding to make it right....

Well after 7 years I have finally had someone jerk me around on getting something done. This local upholstery shop has had my seat 3 weeks and have not touched it yet. they said 2 weeks max when I dropped it off.......
May need to go get it and sew it up myself!:mob:

Well after 7 years I have finally had someone jerk me around on getting something done. This local upholstery shop has had my seat 3 weeks and have not touched it yet. they said 2 weeks max when I dropped it off.......
May need to go get it and sew it up myself!:mob:
Sounds like me last summer: my 2 weeks turned into 2 months. But was worth the wait...

Sounds like me last summer: my 2 weeks turned into 2 months. But was worth the wait...
With the help of a utube video and an upholstery sewing needle kit I took matters into my own hands.
AF7B3A74-3267-4C1F-BA77-D79D8BBFC595.jpeg

my wife went out for a few hours this morning so I jumped at the chance to re-stain the seat. Of course when she got home she complained about the smell but did say how nice the seats look! All stained and ready to back in...
55E822AF-1CCA-466B-BE30-10656AE8D907.jpeg
21ED565D-044F-4A40-939A-779AE250EBE2.jpeg

My boys helped me get the seat back in the car. I think it looks fantastic.
F2E37039-887E-4790-A334-ACDB69C26E34.jpeg
9D9DD9F9-166A-484D-B71A-45D2CBAA2F5E.jpeg

While waiting for the dye to dry, I started a project I have been avoiding since the car has been painted. The gutter caulk was supposed to be replaced prior to paint. It was replaced once but the stainless trim was not removed and it came up too far on the roof. The shop and I agreed I would remove and replace the gutter caulk, and they would repaint the gutter area and blendto the body line on the roof. Only about an inch of sheet metal to work with. Then they’ll wet sand, polish and wax the whole car. Anyway, I cleaned out the old stuff and got new sealer in the gutter.
84D04C9B-02A4-431E-9D38-0BC60AFABCF4.jpeg

I bought this column used and refurbished it.
The gear indicator housing is not the same as on a 74 which has material sloping toward the wheel on each side of the PRND21 letters
I like the column but the plastic indicator for the 74 wont work if inserted from the back of the housing. I held it in place with 2 dabs of silicone temporarily.
Anyone know what this column is out of and where to get the indicator bits so they look right?
I thinks it out of a late 60'2 A-body
ident column.JPG

Last edited:
Seats look great! What kind of dye?
Thanks,
I used duplicolor on the back seat and the front seat back in the summer. Back seat is perfect and was original to the car.
The front seat came from another members car and had some kind of sealer or tint on the original light tan.
Back when I did them the first time I cleaned them with paint thinner and sprayed them. As I used the car I got a few cracks in the front seat. Now I laid that stuff on heavy and I'll bet the front seat had 12 or more coats on it. It never dried even I guess due to the existing sealer on the vinyl.
I also knew I had to repair a couple seams that I was going to have an upholsterer do this winter. I decided to take off all the stain from the front seat and start over from the original vinyl surface. I stripped it off with lacquer thinner and paper towels. I sewed up the seams myself.
This time I used Duplicolor's adhesion promoter as directed, 3 light coats. I used Duplicolor's high performance vinyl stain this time as per the directions, 3 light coats.
You can tell it's stuck on there like glue and it looks great. I started with a well prepped surface this time....

I remember you asking about that stuff! Glad it came out looking good. Mine seems to scratch pretty easy but with the rest of my car as ratty as it is, I don't care too much about it at the moment. Just something to look out for.

Finally got around to tearing off what is likely some original 1973 carpet off my backseats lol.

27752154_10156168227546810_3351895798712159892_n.jpg

27992850_10156168227866810_605710473032479929_o.jpg

This high performance stuff does not scratch like what I had on there before. since I'm a glutton for punishment, I can always take it all out and strip it off and use Sem or OER.
Let's hope that's not necessary. The upholstery guy who did my dash pad said he had used the high performance stuff on a 73 Mopar vinyl seat and it still looks amazing...

Last edited:
It never dried even I guess due to the existing sealer on the vinyl.
Might not be the sealer, but the vinyl itself. I tried using the Krylon 'Dual' on my armrests and visors with the similar result. Worked great on the plastic parts, but just doesn't dry right on soft vinyl. I still have it on the visors, but always feel tacky when it's warm. I like Sem. Used that on the dash a while back and it still looks good. Found the parchment color SEM I needed for the headrests when I got the front seat upholstered. Will be re-doing most of the interior with that at some point. Looks good now, but it's a few different shades.

The interior on this car looks amazing now. I still have a lot of punchlist items to go but I'm please with it. If the dye on the seats does not hold up, I'll save my pennies for new upholstery one day:steering:

Amazon delivered my trunk seal and adhesive today. Had few minutes to slip out to the garage and install it. Nice!
292D8599-CC2B-4A43-9C7A-B263208B2C06.jpeg

I finally got a new tail panel stripe that will work.
I like how the Duster cloud graphic lays over the two wide stripes on the 71 style.
So ChallengerGary morphed the 2 wide stripes into the 73 and up outer outline.
Going to put it on this weekend!
av.jpg
New tail.png

The postal service let me down. Package with stripes delayed. Here is Misty bare *** naked ready for new decorations!
DA1639ED-6474-4279-ABE1-1B1C50E870F2.jpeg

The tail panel stripe we did wouldn’t lay right as it relates to going around the taillights. I asked Gary to make another set that would just go behind the bezels and eliminated the bottom pin stripe. Went on nice and I am happy with it:thumbsup:
DB3C4509-193A-456E-9587-F78378D1DF28.jpeg
14473320-BF2D-49A1-B2C1-B792B1884A01.jpeg
A06FE0F8-FF45-4E7D-916B-07202161DC8C.jpeg

Last edited:
-
Back