Finally getting to it!!! 1970 Duster 340

-
Thanks for offering a helping hand John. I might take you up on your offer since I don't have a hitch or access to a trailer. The body man is suppose to call me tonight.....we shall see. He has a way of dodging me. I need to be level headed but I am so furious it isn't funny.

Thanks for offering a helping hand John. I might take you up on your offer since I don't have a hitch or access to a trailer. The body man is suppose to call me tonight.....we shall see. He has a way of dodging me. I need to be level headed but I am so furious it isn't funny.

I don't blame you a bit Kevin. After what you have spent so far on the car and still it's not painted.

Body shop Hell or Body shop Jail is not an uncommon thing...and it totally sucks every time it happens. A few years back I was restoring a 71' short bed Chevy. That truck was in body shop jail for over a year and still not completely done. Everytime I would show up to check on it there was some song and dance why it wasn't done. One night I woke up at 5 am, I had been dreaming the my truck had been taken to Mexico and sold (of course it had not), but that was the final straw. That day I went down to the body shop with a trailer and took back my truck. Told the owner to F off! This is why I am doing most of the body work on my Duster myself. I wish you the best in your situation. I had to find a new shop to finish my truck, you may have to do the same.

It's one of those situations that you read and hear about but don't think that it's going to happen to you. I have already decided that I will be taking the car to another shop. I am also going to talk to my attorney so that I'm informed before this scenario plays out.

Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble Kevin...It's like you have to draw up a contract anymore prior to dropping off your car...I'm sure your livid! Hang in there buddy!

This whole scenario is very upsetting to me. I've always been as good as my word and I expect others to be honest and behave in a similar manner. Unfortunately, there is a minority of folks that don't always have the same behaviors. I'll get through this and finally get my car completed. I will be more knowledgeable when all is said and done.

I'm very sorry you're having troubles with the body guy. It may take years, but standing around on the concrete floor all the time........he'll need his feet fixed someday! :D Then he will be like #-o Seriously, best of luck to you.

I was curious how high is the ceiling in the garage where you lifted body off engine ?thanks

I'm sorry to hear about the body shop problem Kevin and how bad seemingly good people can be. Try not to dwell, keep picturing the finished car in your mind. It will work itself out and get finished. You have done some incredible work so far, so use that for some inspiration.

Thanks for the encouragement. I must admit that this has knocked the wind out of my sails. With the help of j-miller I hope to get my car back home on Sunday. The new body man will need to look over the damages and assess what needs to be done. I'm not sure when his shop would even be able to take my project on.

I spent time today working on cleaning up my driveshaft. I originally soaked it in Evaporust to get all the rust off. The shaft looked good but pitted. Today, I worked on sanding the shaft to get rid of any remaining pits. I'll need to take the driveshaft for rebalancing.
I saw to shadows on the driveshaft from the factory paint marking but unfortunately no traces of paint color. Does anybody have pictures or information about factory markings on a 1970 Duster 340 driveshaft for an automatic car?

FJR Doc 413-1.jpg

FJR Doc 413-2.jpg

FJR Doc 413-3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
John Miller and I had planned on picking up my car Keith Shue's Superior Classic Auto Restoration in East Berlin, PA. He has been "working" on my car since 3/10/13. Total shop bills to date have been $28,000. I sent him a payment on 4/4/15 along with a letter instructing him to call me........he cashed to check but never phoned me. I called him last Sunday and asked him if I was payed in full. He said that i was and I told him to stop working on the car. I would have told him earlier but he didn't call.
Plans were made to get the car this morning. Last night he informed me that I have a bill for $3270 for 2 weeks worth of work that will need to be paid in cashier check, money order or cleared personal check before the car will be released.
Keith Shue is now holding my car hostage. I feel like such a fool having paid this person so much money. I have no other recourse but to seek legal advice.
These are the most recent photos that I received last night.

FJR Doc 414-1.jpg

FJR Doc 414-2.jpg

FJR Doc 414-3.jpg

FJR Doc 414-4.jpg

I don't no what to say after seeing those pics and what he charged you Kevin. That's just not right.

I have followed your work toward bringing the family car back to OEM since you first created this thread.

I am very very sorry to learn of the practices of this shop, and just wanted to offer support and any help, unless unneeded.

My son-in-law and his family are long time residents and Mopar fans from Denver Pa.

INMO you are following the proper course of settling this via the retention of an attorney.

PM me if I can be of any help, otherwise we all support you and will assist as requested.

Regards,
Stew

Very impressive resto Kevin, the attention to detail is terrific and thanks for posting the companies that restored some of your components which could help others of us needing similar work done. Sorry to hear about the bodyshop situation, I feel for members who aren't able to tackle their own bodywork and have to trust someone else for this work. Hope you can resolve that soon and get the body done to the standard of all your other work.

Thanks Stew. Your support is greatly appreciated. There are plenty of good, honest people out there, especially in the Mopar community. Unfortunatly, there are bad apples out there that ruin it for the rest of the good ones. I have sent copies of my invoices to a reputable shop here in Lancaster. I've sent him pictures and talked to him at great length.

Here's a pic I took a very long time ago that reminds me of your Duster Kevin. I think yours is red as well?

FJR Doc 419-1.jpg

Mine is Rallye Red John. It's been a long time since she's had paint on her metal.

Wow, your attention to detail is awesome on all your assemblies! I'll trade you some metal work for detailing my parts!

I'm sorry to hear about the body shop situation.. That really sucks! I can't believe what you paid so far for the amount of work he did! The quarters and trunk pan aren't even welded on eh?

Seeing what he did to your roof skin to fit the quarter is terrible.. It's probably good he hasn't gone further!

Hold on...Did you say $28,000 ?

No f...ing way. Thats insane. He can keep it.

Dang! What an odyssey bro! Sorry to learn of the newest installment... A lot of heartbreak to get the old girl going again.

Doc, I am sincerely sorry to hear about that body shop guy just flat taking advantage of you. I wish I could help out in some way but I am probably just to far away. But it really pisses me off!!!! When we did my car I was down there where my car was every day sanding on it in 115 degree heat, and that was just a couple of months after having quadruple by pass heart surgery. But you probably don't have that kind of time and I do understand that. But from now on make sure whoever does your work is not so far away that you cant look in on everything maybe on your way to or from work.They will get tired of you and get the car done just to get rid of you,the squeaky wheel always gets the grease.

Stories like this happen more often than people like to share. The work needed was obvious when it was dropped off. It's not like there were any surprises. An agreed upon price and a request for a call if anything changed may have prevented this, maybe not.

The shop owner, who is directly responsible, is either incompetent or dishonest (or both). He may even have hopes of you abandoning the project and he ends up owning it. He probably has a barracuda for a lawyer. Guess he doesn't care about his reputation.

Just went through a small situation with a powder coating company doing a Saab Viggen valve cover for a car I'm selling. The buyer lost interest and bought another car. I gave it to the shop with "blind faith".

Sorry to hear about your situation. Wish I kept my '70 Duster340 I sold 43 years ago. I'm sure yours will be beautiful when it's done. Good Luck!

-
Back