Finally getting to it!!! 1970 Duster 340

-
Doc, first off amazing build and your attention to detail is outstanding.

With that said, I am very sorry to hear about your experience with the body shop. That is lousy, 28K and the car isn't completely done and delivered to your house, and then to charge you another 3K for last bit of work.
Just wow!

This has become another body shop horror story. I emailed my collection of receipts to the new body man. I will be talking to him later tonight. I put some feelers out for recommendations for an attorney. I will need to talk to a lawyer to determine whether i should pursue small claims court or have the lawyer handle the entire matter.

This has become another body shop horror story. I emailed my collection of receipts to the new body man. I will be talking to him later tonight. I put some feelers out for recommendations for an attorney. I will need to talk to a lawyer to determine whether i should pursue small claims court or have the lawyer handle the entire matter.

Best of luck.
My brother had a term to describe certain members of humanity. "Weasel sack of ****" is what he would say.

I believe that the money you are talkin about here is above the limit for small claims court.
Just my 2C, but you will need an expert witness and this could go on for years with appeals, etc. Be careful how you badmouth the "Dude", he might try to sue you for slander. Most attorneys will give you 30 minutes of their time and a legal opinion before taking on a case like yours. Don't forget, the "Dude" prolly has his own attorney on a retainer.

Small claims court in PA has a limit of $12000. I realize that court proceedings could go on for some time. Any information that I have stated regarding this individual is documented fact.

Isn't Jim Harvard an Attorney in PA.

Might be worth a PM to ask about possible solutions.

I dropped off my polished driveshaft to Garden Spot Frame and Alignment in Ephrata, PA. I told Freddie that I wanted the driveshaft rebalanced. He called me later that day that the job was completed and that he was able to utilize the original weights during rebalancing. I prob ably will need to touch up a couple areas after I get it back.
My finishing touches will include bluing a weld seam along the shaft and adding blue color to the yolk welds. I will finish the shaft with an application of RPM to keep it looking new.

j-miller, another friend and I are going to go to the body shop tomorrow morning to bring my car back home. I hope that all goes well. I will need to pay his final bill of $3,310 to prevent him from filing a mechanics lien on me. This whole body shop ordeal has been very stressful emotionally. Just having my car back at home and away from his shop should help somewhat.
I spent the day puttering around my house doing various home, car and motorcycle jobs. I put the finishing touches on my driveshaft. I simulated the butt weld on the tube, reproduce coloring around the yoke welds and applied a coat of RPM.

FJR Doc 434-1.jpg

FJR Doc 434-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The Duster is back in my garage. A big thanks to member j-miller and a my friend Marc for helping me get my property back. Pick up and transportation went better than expected.
I will be taking many pictures of what's been done to the car up until this point. No immediate plans for having work done to the body at this time. I will need time to lick my wounds and try to figure out how I will move ahead from this disaster.

Glad you got it back Kevin and congrats to John for helping out! Hope you can find a decent shop real soon cause like you, we need to see that car in paint!

Glad you got it back Kevin and congrats to John for helping out! Hope you can find a decent shop real soon cause like you, we need to see that car in paint!

Hi Dave!
Chances are Kevin may eventually take his Duster to my shop guy that's doing my EL5 Demon.

Hey doc glad you got your car back!!!!!! All I can say is [some peoples kids!!!!] I sure hope you keep at it as I have learned a lot reading your thread, and that I thank you for that!!!!!

Thanks guys. I'm just back from a vacation on the Delaware beach. It was nice to get away for a week of fun in the sun. I spoke to an attorney in Adams County, PA. He suggested that I pursue the PA Attorney General. I'm in the process if filling out the forms and gathering my evidence. We'll see what comes of their investigation.

Thanks guys. I'm just back from a vacation on the Delaware beach. It was nice to get away for a week of fun in the sun. I spoke to an attorney in Adams County, PA. He suggested that I pursue the PA Attorney General. I'm in the process if filling out the forms and gathering my evidence. We'll see what comes of their investigation.

Good to hear Kevin. It still blows me away of how much he charged you and how incomplete the car looked when we picked it up last Sunday.

Frankenstein! I feel so bad for you man. You can't do anything to the car yet either. Might need more pics for evidence. I have been there. I t sucks.

I've been working on getting my documentation together: pictures before blasting, after blasting and in its current state. I have also made copies of checks that were paid for work that was done. The final tally of expenses comes to $29,735. I'm sure that I will need to have the car blasted again because any other shop that takes on this project will want to work with a clean slate to see the quality of work that has been cover over with primer. That will add another $1,500-2,000 just to get back to ground zero.

It looks like the Attorney General's office probably won't be of much benefit to me. I have a meeting with an attorney today to see about proceeding with legal action against Superior Classic Auto Restoration.

"Superior Auto Classics Restoration", yeah, right! I hate it when a brother gets ripped off.

-
Back